Windows 10 locks up while trying to install AMD driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Commodore2, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Commodore2

Commodore2 New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 8850m
    Greetings!

I've been trying to resolve this problem for two days now. The problem started when I upgraded to windows 10 Anniversary and realized that the OS replaced my 16.8.3 driver with a much older one. The driver became unusable and I seen that in the device manager my graphics card name suddenly changed from M200x to 8850m. I've been in this situation before and succesfully resolved it with the "show and hide updates" tool from Microsoft. Also using DDU and the installer from Guru3D. Even rolled back the previous version of Windows 10 which didn't help. After that I made a full clean install of the OS and the problem is still present. I'm really getting fed up with Windows 10 now. This is just only one irritating bug asside a thousand more...:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

My specs:
    Inspiron 3537

8GB RAM DDR3l 1600Mhz
    AMD Radeon HD 8850m
    Intel Core i7 4500U

2. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Could be a hardware issue and would perfectly explain issues trying to install a driver.....just saying the obvious

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I'd redo your chipset install first, reboot, then clean uninstall (DDU) your GPU drivers, reboot, and install new ones.

4. prateek29c

prateek29c Member

GPU:
    iGpu4400 + 8850M 2GBGDDR5
    Hi Same Issue here. It gets locked up and then I need to do hard reset and uninstall driver in safeboot. I tried after cleaning up with DDU but no use. I think so mobility users need to wait for another Hotfix.

OS - Win 10 pro 64 bit Annivers
    GPU - R9 M265X
    Previously It was working. I completed Doom 4 using 16.8.3.
    But now when tried updating, windows gets locked. Wanted to play Deus Ex Mankind.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

5. justwondering

justwondering Member

GPU:
    7970 VTX3D X-edition
    I think I am having the same issue as you , when I try to install on my samsung laptop with intel 4000 and amd 8500m dual graphics , a download from amd locks up at 42 percent , locking up windows , i find i need to roll it back and restore to fix the issue.....

Is there a known working version that can be downloaded that works on the mobile versions for laptops with dual graphics ? I am happy for something that might even be a couple of months old , as long as it allows me to use my Radeon graphics on my samsung ultra 7 laptop !

6. Commodore2

Commodore2 New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 8850m
    Hey ya'll! Thanks for replying to my thread.
    First of all, in the meantime I somewhat succesfully did install a graphics driver [for my HD 8850m] provided by Dell in their download center. It works fine, however I would need the latest version because some applications require a newer version (wich I can't install because of this lock up thingy). Next thing will be that I'm going to try your suggestions, see if it is a hardware related issue, which I wouldn't be sure because the card works fine and the fan is working too. Will try some other methods regarding updating the OS and the Intel driver too. I'll reply to this thread if I find a sufficent solution. :)

7. Commodore2

Commodore2 New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 8850m
    Hi!

Try uninstalling your driver with DDU. After it's done install the drivers from the official Samsung site for drivers [Intel Graphics driver and AMD Graphics driver].

I think you can use your service tag [Model Code] on your laptop on the official site to find the drivers.

8. prateek29c

prateek29c Member

GPU:
    iGpu4400 + 8850M 2GBGDDR5
    I have been using drivers from AMD website long before rather than from Dells drivers which are so outdated. 16.7.2 works fine. I was amazed with what vulcan can do on laptops if done well. After so long I played a good single player game. After Dx12 patch Tomb raider was another level from Dx11. So we do require latest drivers for Deus ex Mankind for Dx12 to work.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It is a Windows 10 thing running the basic driver on mobile platforms. Really choppy performance, slow, awful.

Manually install the driver through the device manager. It might tell you it failed, but force restart and it should be installed. If it isn't, do it again until it installs.