Windows 10: Latest update to patch issues is causing problems with multi-channel sound in games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Win 10 updates are horrible i will be glad to switch from win 10 to 7 if they implement dx12.

Order_66 likes this.
  3. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

airbud7 likes this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Why exactly is Windows 10 such a house of cards that you can't touch a single thing in it without breaking many other, seemingly unrelated things in the process? Microsoft should do something about that mess. Like release Windows 11 that doesn't have such a mammoth size weakness.

That being said, I haven't fortunately had too many personal problems with Win10 and I'm more or less satisfied with it. However, it's annoying to read about all these myriad problems and then wonder if the next update will break my PC.

6. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Well this is what you get when you have a strong monopoly ruling the market.
    They can get away with things like this.
    They can fire their pro QA and release garbage beta software onto people's machines and get away with it.
    They can also fill an OS with bloatware and spyware and everything is fine.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Windows is getting worse and worse. You can't even control it anymore. It just does things on your PC without asking it to. It has become a black box. And major updates are released way too soon and are forced on you also too soon. And once they break functionality on your PC they are obnoxious to revert back.

Windows is turning into garbage as time goes on.

Order_66, olymind1, Magicblow and 3 others like this.
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I dont seem to be having that problem, using Nvidia HD audio. Ran a couple games, Dolby Digital 5.1 ch sound tests, all seemed fine.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Same here im on the latest update. Maybe its only few games that have issues.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Now one can understand why so many cling to Windows 7 or 8.1.
    Even more, why some people in creative environment favour MacOS.
    User want to use their computers, not to fix problems generated by updates who where issued to fix other previous problems, generating more problems.
    Why is this so hard to understand?

11. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Do Microsoft not test these things on some sort of "beta" channel so a hardcore group can test things and find problems before releases go onto main public release??

12. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    and the month before that and the month before that month,,,,,,,,,,,,

13. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Good luck with that. DX12 on Win7 is a huge hack and you lose almost all of the advantages.

14. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Still better then loosing data and have all these bugs with win 10.

Order_66 likes this.
  15. tyxeros

tyxeros Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1080
    Well its easy to break stuff , when you have an OS that must work in a mpazillion different PC configurations. And its even harder to find it and fix it withour breaking something else for someone else. Its something you need to live with it (since you choose Windows for your OS).

Also breaking stuff , could also mean open security holes... which sometimes mean for example, fixing security holes (software or hardware), may kill some cpu performance.

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    No issues here either using a Creative Sound Blaster ZxR.

17. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    I waited for YEARS On my trusty win7, hoping that win10 will mature in the meantime. I had to update my build. Bought ryzen 3600. And with that comes the moment u have to move to win10.

I did that.

And here we come.

I tell u a "secret" ... this will never end :/

Win 7 was just working and stable as rock. Nothing was changing and thats what u want in a OS which works.

This win10.... this monopoly. It really needs to end.

Order_66 likes this.
  18. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    1 bug, 2 bugs, 3 bugs, four! Patch them out get 10 bugs more...

GetMax, airbud7, Undying and 2 others like this.
  19. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    What do you have your Nvidia HD Audio hooked up to?

Last week i had my RTX 2080Ti hooked up to my LG SL10YG sound bar via HDMI and the soundbar to the TV via HDMI ARC. When watching the Windows Netflix App, i kept getting 1.5 secs of complete audio dropout and this would problem would repeat itself every 40 seconds or so.

If i plug the RTX 2080Ti directly into the TV instead and let the TV pass audio through the ARC to the soundbar, only 2-channel audio was getting passed through, as opposed to the other method of using the soundbar as a receiver which gave me 8 channels. And with that configuration, when i went into Control Panel/Sound and ran the sound 'Test' by right clicking the audio device, the sound chimes were massively delayed, very quiet and a bit crackly.

These problems were not present before i updated to build 1903. I've downloaded the cumulative updates afterwards but audio via HDMI still completely screwed for me.

My other rig has a Soundblaster AE-9 hooked up to some Logitech Z906 5.1 speakers via optical cable and is using the DTS Connect encoder for 5.1 audio. That rig is working fine. So it seems to me that Microsoft mainly just f'd up HDMI audio for people using their GPU's for audio. I've also heard many people reporting that onboard audio direct from the motherboard is also messed up. Some people have been saying that their Realtek devices are now completely gone and do not sure up in Device Manager at all.

20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No issues so far with Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty..
    You loose DXGI 1.2 and newer versions, WinML and the residency model of WDDM 2.x (which is emulated). Everything else is supported, including the fake ray-tracing API. As for future updates (like the incoming and new mesh-shader with almost fully programmable primitive shader stages, I doubt it will ever supported on Windows 7...).
    Still better than penguin clusterfùck, at least from a developer point of view.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    mbk1969 likes this.