Windows 10 KB4482887 update can degrade graphics perf / gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 8, 2019.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    lack of actual Q/A on MS end and the fact they still doing this 6 month new build thing, when they cant even get that right? this late in OS life the OS would actual be stable by now, but windows 10 every 6 months and just starts the cycle all over again

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Can somebody else check this out? I have Retpoline enabled 177763.349 fully patched , and verified that it is enabled via checking with PS script. I still get around a 20% hit in SDD perf. The classic speed drop as the que depth decreases. If I use the Gibson Research Tool to disable Spectre mitigation, performance is back to normal. This is on a 6850K, so the Retpoline fix is supposedly reduce the perf hit to 'noise level' according to MS. Well, ~350MBsec vs 250 or so...is pretty friggen loud. :p

jura11 and Robbo9999 like this.
  3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I don't have disk performance information, but I do have some CPU performance information for my i7-2920XM Sandybridge CPU that has retpoline enabled on it through the registry fix. Cinebench15 showed no performance increase which I was surprised about, yet I had previously lost in the region of 3% performance due to the initial Spectre mitigations. So this retpoline fix doesn't seem to be doing much. Other people in this forum have stated that they got back all their previously lost performance by impIementing retpoline, but I'm not seeing it. I have verified through PowerShell that the retpoline fixes have been applied - it's returning a True value for that retpoline variable, so it is activated.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    what sata drivers are you using?

5. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX
    I just read the news ! in fact , I have the problem only one game : Apex legends : sometimes , the game stutters since this update, it s very strange cos it s not everytime :( I must relaunch the client and no problem.
    I dont play Destiny 2 and CoD that s why I dont see any problem with KB448287 installed on my system.
    Absolutely no problem on other games or benchmark (same score in firestrike or timespy with my 1080 Ti)
    (tested on BFV , Forza Horizon 4 , motorsport 7 , Overwatch , Devil may cry 5 , shadow of tomb raider , Battlefront 2 , Ace Combat 7 etc etc... no problem for me)

6. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    We need to move away from Microsoft and directx for gaming

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    There are ones here that did that, it's not perfect, but it's doable.
    Vulkan, Proton and Wine is the trifecta a Linux gamer needs.

Fox2232 likes this.
  8. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    For you guys having issues with reptoline thing, i noticed there is a newer microcode patch from MS then is in 1809 by default, and also not showing up in windows updates yet. Maybe it helps? I haven't had a chance to really benchmark yet but here (the ones dated 2/4/2019): http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4465065

For me, it brings my 2600k from microcode 2D to 2E.

9. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

How do you check the microcode version? I dl that update the other day. I haven't had any negative effects from the retpoline registry fix being enabled. I did get some performance back around 1-2% in repeatable benchmarks.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  10. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Sorry, forgot to mention, to check microcode i use Hwinfo portable version from here:
    https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Robbo9999 likes this.

11. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Well so far in some benches, with reptoline-reg and all protections enabled and on 1809 build 349 (with the newest microcode patch), i seem to not have lost any performance (cpu, gpu, and ssd tests) compared to win10 1803 with spectre protection disabled. Funny thing i have actually seemed to gain some performance on my gtx1070 3d tests, but then i'm also on the latest driver now so that could be just that. (cpu is i7-2600k @ 4.3ghz, SSD is an older Crucial M500 480gb)

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    So to get back disk performance, you need to be on the STORAHCI driver instead of Intel's RST.

-Tj- likes this.
  13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Honestly, if OGL wasn't so far behind DX in performance I'd put in all the effort I can to tolerate Linux.

It feels like 90% of the time a new game I play doesn't even support DX 12, only 11, crapping out too many draw calls strangling like 1 or 2 threads, while not using others at all. And OGL still can't keep up with that. Then there's Resident Evil 2, which I bet is choked by Denuvo as seen in Devil May Cry 5, it's retarded in DX12 mode, it performs far worse than DX11 mode.

I was hoping Vulkan would open the doors for some more gaming on Linux. So far, nothing much.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    carnivore likes this.
  14. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I have an 1070GTX also and I've noticed similar performance gains after this update. I also have Destiny 2 and tried and it didn't have any problems. It played just like before.

The gains were seens in newer titles and a 2-3 fps here and there but quite noticeable !

I didn't tested 100% to be sure but it feels the same way for me. (sorry don't have time for benchmarking these days).

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    That is 1809. :confused:

[​IMG]

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    is that the default windows driver?

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I was gonna get windows 10 but something told me...

[​IMG]

Nooo!....:p

fantaskarsef, Undying and jura11 like this.
  18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Still on Windows 7 here, im not having my rig hosed every 5 minutes, once its out of support, and they stop doing drivers, games etc... for it, im getting a console.

jura11, lucidus and airbud7 like this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yep

-Tj- likes this.
  20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I am coming up for 2 years since i installed W10 on my SSD, and in that time and with all these reported issues, i have yet to have W10 do anything other than what its supposed to be doing, and i have been running Oculus rift software, which is jangly to the core at best, and if anything is going to throw a spanner in the works then it is going to be that software, but everything just works, so possibly the drama surrounding almost every single W10 update is somewhat over over dramatized to a certain extent, but it is certainly not the sky is falling OS. ;)

Yogi and airbud7 like this.