1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18356 (19H1)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by warlord, Mar 12, 2019.

1. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Other Updates for Insiders
    Take your phone’s screen to the big screen
    We are excited to provide an early preview into the newest feature for the Your Phone app – phone screen. You can now mirror your Android phone’s screen directly on your PC without having to dig for your phone.

[​IMG]

The new phone screen feature gives you easy access to your phone apps on your PC. Whether scheduling a ride to the airport or checking your social updates, do it with ease from the comfort of your PC without having to take your phone out of your bag or go back and forth between devices. Go ahead, give your thumbs a break, and get things done faster with your keyboard and mouse.

[​IMG]

This feature will gradually roll out to Insiders on 19H1 builds. It may take a few days for this feature to show up inside the Your Phone app (version 1.0.20701.0 and above).

You can use the Your Phone app on any Windows 10 PC running Windows builds 1803 (RS4) or newer and any Android phone running Android version 7.0 or newer. But the new phone screen feature is initially only compatible with a limited set of devices. Surface Go will be the first device in the Surface lineup to preview this feature. We will continue to expand the list of devices over time for both the PC and phone.

We look forward to your feedback as we continue to test, learn, and improve the overall experience.

Phone screen requirements:

• Select Android phones* running Android 7.0 or greater (*Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+/S9/S9+).
    • Windows 10 PC with a Bluetooth radio that supports low energy peripheral role. How to check if your PC supports this.
    • Latest 19H1 preview build (18335+ recommended).
    • Android phone must be on, within Bluetooth range of the PC, and connected to the same network as the PC.
    Known issues:

• Touch input doesn’t work yet
    • Always on display will not be shown on the phone screen displayed on the PC
    • Blue light preferences will not be applied on the phone screen displayed on the PC
    • Audio will play out of the phone speakers, not the PC
    • Double clicking may bring down notification center
    • Some games and apps do not support mouse interactions (e.g. Pokémon Go, Merge Dragons, Feedly)
    • If you turn on the setting to hide soft keyboard when a physical keyboard is present your soft keyboard will disappear whenever you’re within Bluetooth range of your PC regardless of the state of the Your Phone app or phone screen session
    General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
    • We fixed a Microsoft Edge crash encountered when interacting with combo boxes in PDF forms.
    • We fixed an issue that could result in night light being on after an upgrade, even though all the settings showed that night light should be off.
    • We fixed an issue where using the slider to adjust the night light strength could result in night light getting stuck on.
    • We fixed an issue where night light was skipping the fade transition when it was turned off (manually or scheduled).
    • We fixed an issue resulting in increased battery drain while the screen was on in recent builds.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in the “…” menu contents being clipped for certain apps like Voice Recorder and Alarms and Clock when the app was full screen.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders experiencing bugcheck green screens citing a KERNEL_SECURITY_VIOLATION error.
    Known issues
    • Launching games that use anti-cheat software may trigger a bugcheck (GSOD).
    • Creative X-Fi sound cards are not functioning properly. We are partnering with Creative to resolve this issue.
    • Some Realtek SD card readers are not functioning properly. We are investigating the issue.
    • We’re investigating an issue preventing VMware from being able to install or update Windows Insider Preview builds. Hyper-V is a viable alternative if available to you.
    Known issues for Developers
    • If you install any of the recent builds from the Fast ring and switch to the Slow ring, optional content such as enabling developer mode will fail. You will have to remain in the Fast ring to add/install/enable optional content. This is because optional content will only install on builds approved for specific rings.

EDIT: No watermark is appearing on this build. It is a possible RTM candidate or close enough after some optimizations and fixes needed.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Does it have the version number watermark?

warlord likes this.
  3. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Nope. Possible RTM candidate, it is so heartbreaking with all those bugs.

Strange Times and lucidus like this.
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    If they ship it with the issue then the only thing I can think of is blocking installation if anti cheat software is detected. Still, it's been around for too long. People who don't know about that and do a clean install would be in for a surprise lol.

Strange Times and warlord like this.

5. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Millions of gamers are gonna suffer this year if they are not gonna fix this. I can't believe Dona threw the ball to anti-cheat software devs and not blame themselves. It is a Windows' problem clearly. The list with games affected is huge. Imagine this going OEM and kids or teens buying a new pre-built PC reaction. :D:p

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Can't cheat if you can't play the game.

[​IMG]

dr_rus, warlord and Strange Times like this.
  7. Strange Times

Strange Times Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB
    omegalul

warlord likes this.
  8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Has anyone using 19H1 encountered the bugcheck error with anti-cheat software?

I don't play games online so I'm wondering if I will be affected by this. However, I don't want to risk installing it if so much as one of my games triggers a GSOD because of this issue as my PC is pretty much 100% stable right now and the only annoyance I have is the truncated FLAC song title issue that Microsoft somehow broke in v1809 (and didn't seem interested in fixing for that build of Windows 10 despite the fact that it is fixed in newer builds).

I guess I should wait to see what the feedback is on this build.

It is worrying though that serious issues like the GSOD one remain unfixed for months on end. I cannot see Microsoft releasing this build to PC builders in this state as it definitely NOT fit to be labelled RTM.

warlord likes this.
  9. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    @Darren Hodgson Yeap. Of course bug is there still. Many games, such as Crew 2, R6Siege, PUBG etc. Also assassin's creed odyssey and origins gsoding when you open store/club through ingame menu. It is a tiring situation. I think the list is very big if you search all games playable and using any kind of anti-cheat internet check.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    If MS doesn't have a fix by now, I guess the hope will be for day1 updates from anti-cheat software (publishers).

warlord likes this.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well considering I play The Crew 2 and AC: Origins/Odyssey then I guess I will wait for the fix before upgrading to this build. So disappointed with Microsoft though as they seem to take far too long fixing even the most simple of bugs (i.e. the truncated FLAC name issue) and it seems like half the issues are because they break things rather than it being the fault of the third-party app or game developer. Windowed G-SYNC used to work fine at one time until Microsoft changed the way exclusive full screen worked and that was only so their useless Gamebar could be displayed within games. How many PC gamers even care about the Gamebar nevemind use it?

warlord likes this.
  12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    For 19H2 more like it.

warlord likes this.
  13. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    I doubt it. They've broken it and never took the responsibility. It ain't gonna change at all. Either you revert windows version and pause updates or push the developers for engine updates. The bigger the corporation, the most unlikely to step back.

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Well, I'm not actually expecting these two to get fixed at all. Anticheats / DRM are crap s/w by design. And Creative just doesn't give a crap in general.

warlord likes this.
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Problem I'm seeing with it is that older titles no longer get support so anything using Easy Anti Cheat or Battle Eye or others (AC Odyssey crashing is worrying though, that means it extends outside of third party kernel mode ring0 drivers.) though there are exceptions (Watch_Dogs 2 using EAC while it can be disabled was also updated to fix a problem last year with a cumulative update breaking functionality.) many other games might just be broken after this and trying to start them would "bugcheck" the OS meaning a green (insider) or blue (regular) screen error message.

EDIT: So I do hope Microsoft solves whatever this is (Security fix I suppose and oh look something broke when they worked around or fixed that.) though after XP they also significantly revamped the whole user and kernel address space because as above some programs just suck ha ha though that around Vista revolved around anti-virus and doing some stupid stuff in kernel mode though it also affected drivers and much more.

But yes I expect it to shift over to 19H2 the way things are looking with several 19H1 almost at RTM builds (No watermark.) now having the issue(s) still carrying over and even the branches for 20H1 also being hit even if these would still share a lot of common code with 19H1 until later down as the build development progresses further.

EDIT: Strong-arming could work too pull what was done with SecuROM v7 and v8 and block the software entirely and then Creative would be forced to fix their drivers and developers and the security stuff for anti-cheat would also get a kick in the ass and hopefully see at least some more active titles updated and having these problems fixed though others are just going to stay broken regardless.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    warlord likes this.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Yeah, the biggest issue is that it's highly likely that even if these anticheat systems will be fixed by their developers - assuming the issue is on the s/w side and it would be really weird if it was the issue with the OS which MS can't fix - all the games using them will still require an update and most older games won't get it probably. Well, MS can always create a whitelist for those titles I guess.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    One thing I'm thinking of is that with Microsoft no doubt having builds and logs and storage for this code and all it wouldn't be very difficult to backtrack the problem to the very change where it broke but as a regular user and uninvolved with development of the OS or these security software procedures it's not like I would have any details and Microsoft isn't going to comment on or talk about any security exploits or what they really did where this started.

The one common thing though this is done with a lot of anti-cheat software seems to be in regards to debugging since EAC, Battle-Eye and also titles such as Assassin's Creed Odyssey and earlier mentioned in this topic do have various detection modes against common debugger programs and some way to identify or detect these and usually just crash when trying to interact with the software via standard means though that's just a very basic and pretty rough guess at what could come down to anything from a code fix to a important kernel level security fix or other exploit that Microsoft now patched.
    (Though this can be done in a variety of ways so it's not really much at all for a common ground for this issue.)

Was also a common thing for Windows XP and before having these programs use exploits or non-standard routines and then that's what Microsoft tried to structure up and fix (User address space for a lot of things and not kernel address space, crash and not a blue-screen.) but it's not entirely resolved. Driver issue could be similar but regardless I do hope to see it fixed but I'm not too hopeful and if it's down to the actual games instead to try and work around or fix this then that's going to be very hit & miss.

Whitelist or having some alternate routine for known problematic software could also be a way on a OS level to try and mitigate the problem although it would need to be maintained and updated as other titles are discovered or new games do things that breaks in this version of Windows 10 too, plenty of non-standard stuff in software and against best-practices and established routines and that can carry over from one game to the other or be part o the underlying game engine itself. :)

But I don't know the details and Microsoft isn't going to tell anything more in-depth if it's a security concern, they're just going to plug it and that's helping businesses and such but entertainment and gaming is going to take a bit of a hit.
    A regular user wouldn't really know what this is and this anti-cheat software and how the game is doing something besides some non-descriptive blue-screen and some sys driver or exception error either so there's a issue too.

EDIT: Some weird roulette and starting games and seeing if they work or not isn't going to be fun at all though, hate system errors but I suppose skipping this build might be a thing too and seeing what's for the later half of 2019 if things to really badly.
    (Well not like skipping the first few months really mean much more than getting a better experience with the first few cumulative updates resolving all sorts of stuff hah.)

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I'd say that such a whitelist should only include titles which aren't going to be fixed by their devs due to reasons. No additions to this list is necessary as all current and new titles should conform to the specifications of the OS and not use things which won't work.

Windows always had this issue with maintaining BC while plugging holes in older versions, this has always been an issue and there always were such exclusion lists in new OS versions. Sometimes some games weren't even compatible with new Windows version and users had to wait for updated releases or download 3rd party cracks to launch them. So nothing really new here.

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Hmm well you are definitively right about the compatibility issues that's true and how some programs and games would just not work with a newer OS version so yes it would probably be best like that, even with user telemetry and other data it's not like Microsoft could just test everything after all and it's not really on them to try and fix or work around program specific issues that would be endless thinking more about it.

20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I don't see how they could wait till 19H2 if all games bluescreen no one will update and reviewers will give very bad press on it.
    Just about all MP games use some form of anti-cheat software.

PS: I am not too familiar with this issue, the only way I can see it passing is if it only affects a few specific games with anti-cheat.