Windows 10 Flipboard and Netflix apps will not stay signed in...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Not sure what section to post this in but since the issue relates to two Windows/Microsoft Store apps then I thought I'd post it here.

Anyway, the issue (and to the regulars familiar with my posts... yes, another one!!!) is that the Netflix and Flipboard apps will not stay signed in.

To elaborate, I can sign into my accounts and use the apps just fine but as soon as I close them then the login details are reset even if I reopen the app immediately. I have to re-enter my username and password again. In both cases, I can see the signed in screen appear for a few seconds before it displays their sign in screens.

However, other apps including Facebook and Twitter have no issues staying signed in and anything that uses my Microsoft account such as the Xbox app and the Store etc also remain signed in. So far, it is just those two apps.

If I sign into my second account (the hidden Administrator one) then both apps remain signed in so there's nothing wrong with the apps or the usernames/passwords otherwise I would not be able to use either at all.

I have tried the following:

1. Reset the app.
    2. Uninstalled and redownloaded the app.
    3. Moved the apps from the C drive to another drive (and vice versa)
    4. Checked the permissions of the C:\Users\Darren\AppData\Local\Packages folder where I believe the settings for the apps are stored. These appear to be fine as my Microsoft account shows in the security tab with full control and I can open the folders, no problem.
    5. Checked lusrmgr.msc to see what groups I belong to (Administrators and Users).

I'm guessing that is some kind of security/permissions issue though.

I recently (about a month ago), created a new local account and migrated my data across to it to fix an issue with Cortana (which is now fixed). Everything is working great with some apps and websites requiring me to resign in. Games all work fine too with all my saves present and correct from my old account. If I had to hazard a guess at the cause then I would say it is related to the new account.

Incidentally, I have no problems signing into Netflix on Edge and it staying signed in. Not sure about Flipboard as I've always used the app but if it can be accessed via a website then I suspect it too won't have any issues. Of course, I could just use the websites over the apps but that is not the point: I have two apps that while perfectly functional in every way, they will not stay signed in. Note that I am on v1803 build 17134.83 of Windows 10 Pro and had no issues with either app on my previous account.

This issue is infuriating me, mainly because I believe the fix is something so obvious I am completely overlooking it. Can anyone help me please? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can look at (and, please, no reinstall Windows clean!!!)?

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Reinstall Windows clean!

*runs off giggling*

:p :D

(So in other words no idea really, sorry)

Extraordinary and lucidus like this.
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You've been overlooking it since 2013 :D

AsiJu likes this.
  4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks guys for the helpful comments! :(

AsiJu likes this.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well Flipboard has two additional options to sign into Facebook or Google. The Facebook option has always told me I'm not signed in even though the Facebook app *is* always signed in but then that option has never worked anyway, so no surprises there. The Google option asks for my details then asks for me to authorise it but then Flipboard crashes. The event log error is points to the crash being caused by Windows.UI.Xaml.dll.

Faulting application name: Flipboard.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x596830e5
    Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.17134.81, time stamp: 0xc62ef699
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x0084dc3c
    Faulting process ID: 0x3118
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d402e5ae58b323
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Flipboard.Flipboard_2.1.3.0_neutral__3f5azkryzdbc4\Flipboard.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
    Report ID: 7942952c-d977-4cba-97a9-7ccd64c7b2f3
    Faulting package full name: Flipboard.Flipboard_2.1.3.0_neutral__3f5azkryzdbc4
    Faulting package-relative application ID: App

The WindowsApp folder on the C drive is inaccessible but appears to owned by TrustedInstaller which I believe is correct. The settings for Windows 10 apps are, as far as I know, held in C:\Users\Darren\AppData\Local\Packages but I have read/write permissions for that folder and both the Flipboard and Netflix apps (which don't crash anyway, they just refuse to stay signed in).

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think I know what is causing the issue... at least I think I do. It seems to be a problem with cookies as both Chrome and Internet Explorer "forget" sign ins as soon as close them and reopen them. Edge, which I use as my main browser, does not but I suspect it may store its cookies in a different location to Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Does anyone where cookies are stored for Chrome on Windows 10 please? I am wondering if the security permissions are not set properly on the folder, perhaps because I migrated from my old Windows accounts to a new one.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    http://bfy.tw/IaT4

8. idanny76

idanny76 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue. Netflix Windows 10 app is not saving the login info and keeps asking to login every time I close and restart the app. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have 3 other computers that do not have this issue. Its just one PC.

9. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Oh my god!!!!! ;)
    --------------------------

10. idanny76

idanny76 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Anyone solved this issue?