Windows 10 Fall Creators Update & HDR

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by masterchan777, Oct 17, 2017.

1. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    Yeah, I was perfectly happy with the nVidia HDR API for games that used it before last spring's Creators update. This whole locking out of IHV API's is a bit pre-mature IMO.

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it works with me in games like ME Shadow of War

desktop colors are still washed down which is not a problem for me

3. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    With what videocard and connection, dp or HDMI 2.0B HDR?. My monitor go's RMA with a little chat with Samsung.

4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

5. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Thnx, i buy a special HDR 2.0b high speed cable, if its not working my monitor go's RMA or 14 days retour.

6. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    The issue is that early HDR games (like ME:A) expect the driver to simply switch the display to HDR mode without converting anything (from SDR to HDR or vice versa) while Windows is unaware of this (it does not need to know or do anything for full-screen apps to work in any display modes, you can't see the Windows desktop anyway) whereas drivers now (since Creators + compatible driver versions) let the Windows desktop manager handling this all.

The important difference is that Windows now converts every "legacy (SDR) app" from sRGB to Rec2020+HDR10 (seamlessly in theory, though not necessarily perfectly in practice), so they appear fine in HDR display modes (at least that's the idea, even if it looks a bit "funny" due to imperfections in conversion and display tech [remember it's a little premature tech...]).

Since early HDR games like ME:A were not designed for this new Windows behavior (and/or Windows is bad in detecting application states at this point, partly due to application design or simply being premature on it's own) the HDR game gets converted by Windows like it's SDR content. If you could just turn off this conversion in Windows while still signaling HDR10 to the display, the game would appear just fine. That, or games could be updated to signal HDR mode in a way which Windows (now) understands (almost zero chance for that in case of MEA). Or may be Microsoft could add a workaround for these few premature early applications (not something developers like to do while trying to define and force standards).

In other words, HDR in MEA was a "hack" which worked because both the driver and the game agreed on a non-standard solution. But now the driver abandoned that solution in favor of the new standard and thus ME:A was left malfunctioning (it still expects the driver to do something it no longer does by design + Widows never cared about these non-standard apps).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    in ME:A i got HDR working by setting it to borderless window , couldn't get DolbyVision to work though

8. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    The only way I got HDR10 working was installing the 378.92 driver (the only version which supports MEA but does not support the new HDR mode of Win10 Creators). I believe you if you say it worked in your case. Borderless window, and both new fullscreen (the new default in Win10) or old fullscreen (ticking the "Disable fullscreen optimization" compatibility setting for the exe file) failed for me. But I remember the screen was flashing crazy at times (probably trying to jump into a new display mode but falling back to the initial one), so may be some combination would of worked eventually (either work by accident or I ruled out a potential winner prematurely by mistake). I guess ME:A still asks the driver to switch to the "old" (nonstandard NVAPI proprietary) HDR mode and may be the new drivers still respond at times (randomly and/or depending on windowed/fulscreen mode or other things like initial display mode, etc).

But yeah, DolbyVision never worked for me.
    With the old driver, all I get is completely messed up colors (which doesn't even look like a "passthrough" kind of HDR mode on an SDR display but something completely broken) and the display running in some other non-Dolby mode (either SDR or HDR10).
    With new drivers, it's a random thing. Sometimes it's the same as old old drivers, sometimes the display goes into DolbyVision mode but Windows does it's magic of converting the HDR app like it's SDR (so it's broken).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  9. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Did anyone told nvidia about this issue ? are they going to fix this crap ? I can't play any HDR game properly. Any guide how to play BF1 HDR ?? and not in borderless because the performance are not good for me . LG OLED55C6 , because I want to play HDR + 3D so it requires lots of performance and less lag input.

And does anyone tried to play PowerDVD17 3D bluray movies with Windows 10 Fall Creators ?? it just doesn't work

10. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    yeah tried ME:A last night , HDR ic completely broken and Bioware said they won't fix the game anymore as they moved on from it

11. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Try 378.92 (last non-Creators version). But I thought BF1 had better support (unlike MEA which has been treated like a stillborn bastard child coming back as a zombi to haunt Bio/EA and their fans). :D

Try MPC-HC + madvr (latest official/stable). It works fine for me, both with old and new drivers (madvr supports both the old NVAPI and the new Win10 way and it knows what it has to pick).

12. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    My monitor springs only in HDR mode if i use HDMI 2.0 but in my case the colours in game are lesser bright en dead. If i use DP 1.2 the monitor does noting. Is a videocards with DP 1.4 the way to go for HDR in my case, a Nvidia 1000 serie or AMD Vega?

13. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I agree with them, developers that actually ported an XBox 360 game (ME1) developed with full controller support and then wasted man hours stripping it out just in time for release so the PC game would be a "real" PC game with M&KB only controls and to protect the integrity of the original console game can't be bothered to a game they release.\

We should be happy they were able to get any level of dogs*** out to the masses. Their level of gross incompetence would probably make a completely non-working product if they took the time to try and correct their hideous coding at this point.

14. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Another strange thing: I fiddled around a little with nvlddmkm-patcher and CRU to force the LG 55C7 into 2160p60@HDR10 in Full-range RGB (or so called 4:4:4) which is slightly above what HDMI 2.0 (and the TV) can officially handle. This seemed to work with the old driver (I say *seemed* because I lack the proper tools to fully validate if it was true 10-bit rather than 8bit [+dithering by the GPU, may be...???] but 4:4:4 was definitely there [easy to check] and I didn't see any prominent gradient banding on HDR content). However, with new drivers, Windows refuses to switch to HDR mode and even madvr fails to go into fullscreen exclusive mode (but I guess the latter is caused by madvr waiting for Win10 to switch to HDR).

Did anybody else play with this?

I removed every redundant resolutions, all kind of YCC modes and lifted the TMDS limit with CRU. This way it should not be poosible to pick YCC but 2160p60@10bit@RGB should be a valid option to try (which may or may not actually work but that's another problem). I still can't select this mode from NVCP but I can't see what other mode the driver might pick when it goes to HDR mode if refresh rate is fixed to 60Hz (by the request of madvr, for example), so I assume it tries that...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  15. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Now i have the MSI GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Now i need DP 1.4 for HDR right, i think the dp cable is not 1.4?

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Pascal GPUs are DP 1.4 compatible.

17. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    You right sirr, and i getting 10 bit RGB full with 1440p/144hz but HDR still have bad colours wen HDR is on in BF1. I use the 1,2+ DP settings on my monitor.

Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B06&SUBSYS_36021462&REV_A1
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 19294 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 11132 MB
    Shared Memory: 8162 MB
    Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)
    HDR Support: Supported
    Display Topology: Internal
    Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020
    Color Primaries: Red(0.679211,0.314953), Green(0.269055,0.667492), Blue(0.152844,0.062023), White Point(0.313977,0.329602)
    Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.049110, Max Luminance = 603.665771, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 351.250427
    Monitor Name: CHG7_C32HG7xQQ (DP)
    Monitor Model: C32HG7x
    Monitor Id: SAM0E14
    Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (143.998Hz)
    Output Type: Displayport External
    Monitor Advanced Color Capabilities: BT2020RGB BT2020YCC Eotf2084Supported AdvancedColorSupported AdvancedColorEnabled

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    An interesting quote from Obduction's latest update notes:

19. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    HDR option in Windows also give darker lesser saturated colours in HDR games. I think for the most people HDR must getting fixed by micorsoft or Nvidia.

Edit

Do i need the NVAPI for HDR?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  20. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I wonder how long it will be until I get the update. 6 months like last time? God they take FOREVER to push these updates out.