[Windows 10] Does "High Performance" Power Option ON do anything for gaming?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by BlindBison, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Balanced and Ryzen Balanced are fine

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    If I remember right they are based off AMD balanced plan, the balanced gives higher boost per core clocks with low to mid-level loads. You can check what's changed easily with mbk196 power plan tool, the changes are all in the processor area.
    Techpower-up did a review on 1usmus Ryzen Universal power.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-power-plan-for-amd-ryzen-new-developments/

3. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Anybody know how to get rid of the CPU temps sawtooth? It does this under Balanced and High Performance, only calming down with the Power Saver plan that makes the system super slow.
    CPUbalanced.jpg

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    what CPU is this and what is the CPU clock frequency doing?
    Ryzen works more like a GPU so clocks are very spikey, does this show up in other HW monitors (HWinfo64, OpenHardwareMonitor, HM, etc) you can mask it with slower polling rates.

5. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Ryzen 5 3600X, clocks are between 4250 and 4350 during constant load while playing basically any game. All the monitoring software shows the same behavior now matter what the polling rate (1 sec, 2, 5, 8). Even if I am running nothing but Windows, my motherboard has a debug LED that shows CPU temp once booted, and it does the 10-15 degree jumps as well.

I vaguely remember a reddit thread about something like this, but haven't found it yet. Power Saver plan stills calms it right down and idles at ~30C even with 0.1 sec polling rates in MSIAB and HWinfo64. I'm kind of confused but will keep searching for some settings to try. I've already adjusted my fan curves to account for the spikes because the constant ramping and slowing was driving me bonkers.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I can't help much as don't have Ryzen, but maybe the first review of the power plan and it states what changed may give some idea's.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-zen-2-processors/

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
  8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    The latest AMD chipset driver together with Ryzen Balanced works fine for the 3000 series.

9. loracle

loracle Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super

This is the best way to kill your rig rapidly, i advice you to always leave all by default, and try to buy high end parts ;):)

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This won't harm the system. Don't be silly. I've done far worse, and have had systems last for years.