Windows 10 CPU Bug Fix Patch Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2018.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah screw that i wont buy new system build any time soon

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    There is no way that manufacturers will release bioses for older/unsupported platforms, despite them working perfectly fine. Just you mentioning the Win-Raid forum indicates that even you don't believe that this will be a proper-scale deployment.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Of course manufacturers won't release updates for all their parts, especially ones that are as old as sandybridge.

That's why I mentioned updating microcode manually, it will be up to the end-user for those that do not get official support.

As for winraid, Intel ME firmware is an entirely different thing that's unrelated to this microcode fix.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i cant say i see any peformance drops in Swtor which heavly dependent on cpu and it stp can say i see anything diffrent in the other stuff i do either

5. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    A Microsoft Blog Post regarding the performance impact :

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/mi...-and-meltdown-mitigations-on-windows-systems/

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    So if i want to limit the impact on my Haswell system i need to go back to window 7 or 8, just great. :mad:

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    That's not what they said. They said they are certain that with W7/8 you will notice it all the time, noticed by most users (probably most workloads). With Haswell / W10 (like me with Haswell-E), only "some" benchmarks show a slowdown. At least that's how I read that list.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  8. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti@2GHz/WC
    No.
    Haswell + W10 = "some users will notice a decrease in system performance".
    Haswell + W7 - W8 = "most users to notice a decrease in system performance"

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^We must be reading this differently...
    • With Windows 10 on older silicon (2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU), some benchmarks show more significant slowdowns, and we expect that some users will notice a decrease in system performance.
    • With Windows 8 and Windows 7 on older silicon (2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU), we expect most users to notice a decrease in system performance.
    As i read it, W10 will have "more significant slowdowns" and "a decrease in system performance".
    W7/8 which will have "most users to notice a decrease in system performance"

So as i read it from the artical the least impacted will be on W7/8 for my setup.

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well, the "show more" part referrs to the first line, so in comparison to the first line (newer CPU + W10).
    Actually, I'm afraid the opposite is true, the most impact will be on W7/8 and CPUs older than Haswell.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well.. I'm not upgrading to anything until further notice. XD

Don't want any negative fps just yet.

12. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti@2GHz/WC
    This ↑.

----
    Skylake (and newer) + W10 = "don’t expect most users to notice a change because these percentages are reflected in milliseconds"
    Haswell + W10 = "some benchmarks show more significant slowdowns (compared to Skylake + W10)" , "some users will notice a decrease in system performance".
    Haswell + W7 - W8 = "most users to notice a decrease in system performance"

13. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    I wonder where the Broadwell-C stays on this. It's older than Skylake (by a few months) and newer than Haswell.

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Here's the link to some of Intel's own benchmarks:

https://newsroom.intel.com/editoria...tial-performance-data-results-client-systems/

Shows that gaming performance with more or less contemporary hardware and W10 does not suffer much at all.
    Biggest drop seems to be "responsiveness" (SYSMark 2014 SE Responsiveness) and WebXPRT 2015.

For me personally I don't see much of an issue, since I don't do ANY real work on my rigs, and at work I don't use any of that media creation or database software (and there I don't have to take care of the hardware either hehe)

15. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    Ashampoo has released a small free standalone Meltdowsn Spectre Cpu checker utility,
    which shows whether your system is currently vulnerable to one or both of these exploits

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/1304/security-software/spectre-meltdown-cpu-checker

Tencent's Xuanwu Lab has also released an online Spectre browser test to determine whether your web browser is vulnerable to Spectre.

http://xlab.tencent.com/special/spectre/spectre_check.html

######################
    The Ashampoo utility is giving me a message : Could not find the powershell executeable,
    and then remains in status : checking.
    I left it check for 3 minutes with no luck.

My browser is not vulnerable according the online browser test:D

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I am vulnerable to spectre but safe from meltdown according to the wee ashampoo checker programe, but the second one via the website checker states my browser is not vulnerable to spectre.

17. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Cpu test is telling me, that my cpu is vulnerable for Spectre, that i knew.

ashampoo is saying that my browser is "safe" for Spectre.

18. k3lt

k3lt Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1060 6GB.
    Why is nobody benchmarking older Intel chips like Haswell?

19. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    the browser being "safe" is just confirming that firefox/chrome and Ie's workaround is active , which essentially just lowers the timer resolution of executing javascript and adds artificial jitter, to thart attempts to use spectre, which is a timing based attack, it is still theorectically possible that someone could work around this , but it makes using the exploit via javascript impractical and nearly impossible to use.

20. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti GAMING