Windows 10 CPU Bug Fix Patch Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2018.

1. 1248

1248 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2
    Perhaps he doesn't want to risk the performance decrease? I'm not sure myself, I know that all of my systems will be getting the update no matter how old the processor is. RIP my Pentium E6500 system :(

2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    pretty sure you'll be fine, There basically no appreciable performance hit from the update on my 2ghz core 2 based laptop.

1248 and Silva like this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Resolution can be hardly considered as reason for invalidity or results.

But their margin of error in measurement is extreme. Patch is in no way capable to increase performance. Yet they measured increase of several percent in few cases.
    For me, their up error can be as large as 5%, therefore all their results are within margin of error.

There is an decrease in performance, yes. But at this moment, I would say 1~2% for most of games.
    And while there may be games getting much bigger hit, that should be confirmed by proper measurement.

Funny thing is, that hit is bigger for applications using feature set of CPU better. That's why business applications get much bigger hit.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    He may have AMD CPU which is affected only by non-malignant part of Spectre. And completely unaffected by Meltdown which is main cause for performance decrease.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Seems like guy in 2nd post there have weird results. Average scores within margin of error.
    But minimum fps goes down a lot and maximum increases. Looks like there are some hold/bursts of data.

Geekbench:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/6144928?baseline=6112570
    Left Patched OS+BIOS, Right Unpatched.
    Interestingly enough, Performance drop is quite noticeable on some workloads even while memory performance went up. (Probably due to BIOS value reset.)

In average loss there is 2.6%. But some workloads got hit up to 16%. (HTML5 Parse, PDF Rendering)

That's on system which gained (with BIOS update) better memory throughput by 1.5% and improved memory latency by 2.2%.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If I had Ryzen, I would not care less about patching. AMD is affected only by non-malignant part of Spectre.
    Part which may allow attacker to read data it is not supposed to read.

So, 1st I have to get my system infected, at that point attacker has already access to all my data... And then he can use 1st part of Spectre to read system stuff from memory... Can't care less. Ryzen is safe.

But intel... One infected WM affecting other WM? There I see patching as required.

AsiJu likes this.
  8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    the bios patch is needed to active the spectre v2 fix on windows. without it, only meltdown is patched.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    You mean for CPU microcode?

10. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    These are some nice tests and benchmarks. But they are not all that relevant as both Intel and Google claims you need the OS hotfix/update + a UEFI Firmware/BIOS update containing the new Intel CPU microcode in order to be fully patched. Its the combination of the microcode update and the OS update that seems to be really hitting the performance.

11. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090FE
    Cause of that i'm half wondering if i can get away with just the OS update and patches. End of the day this stuff is just a band-aid right, its a hardware issue that cannot be fixed with software just covering it up with whatever they have hoping it might stop hackers.

Don't like messing around with bios updates, specially if they do hit the system hard

Edit: Seems Bios update might not do anything for protection and it seems the microcode is the needed part (intel seems to not have released anything yet unless i am missing it)

12. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Intel has already released the microcode update for Coffee Lake. Asus have already rolled out the update to most of their Z370 line-up besides their Maximus motherboards. How long it will take until the various BIOS/UEFI updates gets released depends on many factors. Intel will work on microcode updates for their newest CPU line-ups first and they have only guaranteed updates for all CPU's releases the past five years so it might seem that they might not patch CPU's prior to Haswell. They have at least told that they will be working on pushing out updates the coming weeks.

But that doesn't really help all that much. Your motherboard/system vendor needs to provide the BIOS/UEFI Firmware update as well. We have no clue on how vendors like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI etc is going to handle this. Everyone on Z370 and Coffee Lake will most likely see updates but whether these vendors will go back and provide updates for older systems and how long back they will go no body knows. I don't expect that my fiancees computer with Asus Rampage IV Extreme and Intel Core i7-3960X will get a firmware update, neither will my server running Asus P8B-E/4L and Intel Xeon E3-1275v2.

Judging by how ineffective most vendors have been with providing the critical fix for the Intel MEI vulnerability I wouldn't expect much..

13. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
  14. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3070
    How much of a risk is it to not get an updated bios. I rather not loose performance if it's not a big deal. I don't have a habit of clicking malicious links. I mean there is no bios update available now and my pc isn't exactly dying or anything. Maybe it's not a big deal to go without it.

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I guess old motherboards will never be patched.
    This is a scandal! I was fed up with Intel but now...

16. BlueRay

BlueRay Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    So the gaming tests were done only with the Windows update or they were updated with the BIOS + Windows patch?
    If not any gaming figures with the BIOS + Windows patch will be welcome.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    More than likely, Intel will ignore processors/platforms beyond a certain age.

It's not about intentionally clicking malicious links. If you had to intentionally click a malicious link for your PC to get infected, anti-virus/anti-malware software wouldn't exist because nobody would intentionally click such links. Infections come from clicking on links believed to be harmless, or downloading files that are believed to be harmless.

We haven't seen attacks to date using these exploits, but now that they are public knowledge, the risk of such exploit being used increases greatly. There is no way to accurately predict the risk from not patching a system at this point.

Silva likes this.
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    guess we gona see how bad the fall out is with all this bios/os patches cause performance wise in the coming months

19. XPJay

XPJay Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 Rf
    So I have an Intel Core2Quad Q8400 with 4GB DDR2 ram, a 560Ti 448, and a SSD boot drive running Windows 10 Home I USED to use as a daily driver PC for general web use, streaming netflix and sports, and watching videos from a portable drive. After the update I have a brutal performance drop, rendering my PC mostly useless. OS and webpages so slow to load. Streaming and downloaded video choppy. I hope they can fix this with a future patch. My gaming rig is fine, but this is so disappointing. Looks like many consumers and businesses may need to upgrade.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am hoping the Duo Core 8400e system my dad is using isnt effect by any of this cause that system is already slow and on hdd that really slow