Windows 10 CPU Bug Fix Patch Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2018.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Thanks Berke53

2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    That's a 720p measurement so take it with a grain of salt. And AssCreed Origins is coded like... what should I compare it to... rotting donkey meat. Then further slowed by DRM + Denuvo DRM protection + more DRM taking more CPU cycles. It's a bad example to see anything other than perhaps what effect DRM has.

So far I've only measured SSD speeds and there was a noticeable loss on 4K writes. But I didn't record/screenshot the info, I should have, and I don't remember the exact numbers. Alzheimer's is OP.

4. rflair

rflair Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    On my older 3770K system this patch broke Asus AI suite, no fan/temp control, get a memory access violation. I'll try to reinstall later tonight.

5. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Hi, Any ideas how this "fix" affects the original Core i7 processors, specifically the 990x

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    720p tests are done because it minimizes the risk of GPU limited tests. Assuming they had tested at 1080p or higher, the 980 Ti might have bottlenecked and made it seem like no performance difference at all.

But it shows there can be a performance penalty for games.
    Word is also that the older CPUs might see a bigger performance penalty, since Haswell and later have certain features reducing the performance impact.

TheDeeGee and airbud7 like this.
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The tool mentioned in that thread is specific to the IME bug and has nothing to do with Meltdown or Spectre....

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I know, I'm saying at resolutions we'd use the difference would be reduced.

9. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    you still want to stress the CPU/ not the graphics card...

720p will definitely do that.

10. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3070
    I think he just picked a couple random games - it wasn't supposed to be a complete test. I haven't seen anything to substantiate the '20-35%' claim. That said, I'd love to see some results for CS:GO, Rainbow Six Siege, DayZ SA, and War Thunder.

On reddit users are showing noticable drops on 4th gen CPU - up to 13% in DayZ SA on high settings. I'll take that with a grain of salt until I see it confirmed by a more reliable source.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    rflair and Neo Cyrus like this.
  12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    tested the basic patch on an old core 2 based laptop , small perf hit to disk io (4k random r/w), on an ssd , so even without PCID optimizations on older hw shouldn't be an issue even if you are running an ssd on an older system

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Isn't that using a turd of a game engine though?

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No common user is going to see noticeable if it doesn't do high-intensive I/O operations that requires a lot of contexts switch. For database things are gonna be a little different, no tragedies at all but in big cluster environment even a 1% performance loss means money.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Consumers that run VMs, like some of us do, will see a bigger impact than those that don't. Gamers will see almost no impact at all though. Worst case, I'd expect to see a 0-3fps dip. Some benchmarks are actually showing slight (0-1fps) improvements though. Only time will tell the real impact though.

airbud7 likes this.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Well...I actually scored a bit higher on PCMark10 post patch...ha ha

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/pcm10b/172273/pcm10b/130856

I'm within the margin of error for everything I've run. So, I think for consumers, it's more or less transparent. We'll have to wait and see for other use cases.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    im rather curious how exactly the "firmware update" component of the patch for spectre works, hope its as simple as a microcode update, lots of older hw will never get a proper bios update for this, would be nice if i could patch the devices myself.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    From my understanding, from the articles I've read, it is just a micro-code update. Those articles could be over-simplifying things though.

19. darkvoid

darkvoid New Member

GPU:
    AMD
    How to uninstall only the patch for meltdown from the cumulative update KB4056892. I don't want the patch to be installed with the next cumulative update too. I have a tool that can prevent certain updated to be installed but i want only that part of the update to be uninstalled. Is it possible to allow the vulnerability on my pc?

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Why would you want such a vulnerability to exist?

Silva likes this.