Windows 10 CPU Bug Fix Patch Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2018.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    good to see that the performance hit wont be very significant for the majority of users.

2. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Sounds like sloppy work by MS to include AMD in this mess. It's a shame if Ryzen is taking a hit for no reason.

Some of those results are within margin of error, but others have found similar results. If it was margin of error we would expect to see some higher numbers post patch. I think they did wait until patches were available before public disclosure.

What he said^. I appreciate the demonstration that this isn't going to affect my games, but what about a VM host with 10 VM's?

3. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    Ummmmm.... In order to full secure your PC you also need to update the CPU firmware.

That patch that Intel provides will be the one that impacts performance in certain workloads. Did you do this before the benchmarks? Because I think you're only benchmarking the windows 10 patch which isn't the patch that impacts performance

tensai28 likes this.
  4. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    8700k here and no difference in FPS.

5. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Nobody cares!!!!!

They already stated the media over rated it to hype it up for hits, also Im not doing shoddy stuff on the internet. The patch could be a spy, good work man!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    RzrTrek likes this.
  6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hilbert if you can , test an AM4 Ryzen or Treadripper system on an SSD or NVMe. It seems Ryzen systems have taken a bigger hit on performance than Intel. Myself and a lot more members can confirm this by our own testing , it's all over the internet by now that degradation in performance on Ryzen systems is worst and more noticable than Intel.

Kaarme and AsiJu like this.
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    And it shouldn't even affect AMD's CPUs. If I didn't know MS is full of incompetents, I'd tighten my tinfoil hat and say Intel ordered such an outcome. But since I do know MS is a hive of incompetence, I'll just say they simply didn't know what they were doing, as usual.

Evildead666, xIcarus and chispy like this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    MS is incompetents run by Intel :p

I am kidding. Or am i...

RzrTrek and chispy like this.
  9. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    AsiJu likes this.
  10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There are specific conditions where the patch would not all protections would activate, and that is with certain anti-virus software installed. My test rigs do not have that. The page you refer to only shows a few PowerShell commands to verify the patch is active. New firmware, however, might be required, as mentioned in the article. I check/verify this a bit more tomorrow (it's almost 11pm here).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

11. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    No problem...I was just pointing out a bit more confusion on this in hope you or others would be able to check. Anyhow my Skylake system is enjoying a vacation and I am on my Ryzen build and I am on Win 10 Insider build 17063 so did not get the update nor can I run that powershell command it seems. Get some rest.

12. DashD

DashD Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Are you running latest bios 1003 for the NVME tests? I've heard a report that the patch is not active before that version, but I don't know if that's true.
    My own tests show a 20% drop on the 4k read/write :(

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    PC specifications ? That info might help a lot. 20% drop it's a lot.

14. DashD

DashD Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Intel 900p, 8700K, Maximus X Hero

15. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Given that bench marking an ssd can give very random scores, i know my Samsung pro 960 can vary from 2200 -2500mbs seq read so I think its safe to say that the difference in the bench marks is within margin of error and everyone can stop panicking for the sake of it.

16. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    This. We are probably drawing conclusions too soon.

17. Aitortxo

Aitortxo Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Thanks Hilbert for the tests but as someone already commented, I believe it's a little early to come to any clear and definitive conclusion. We are still missing the firmware patches from the CPU and who know what else...

Also, a test on Windows 7 with more down to earth hardware would be appreciated.

Take some rest and keep up the good work!

18. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    I´ll say this here too, using 2600K on W10 and i found nothing to be worried. I got same thing aswell, TimeSpy gave abit better result.

HonoredShadow likes this.
  19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not everyone is going to see noteworthy performance impact. The large performance impacts are very conditional. Some database software is showing performance impact in the 20%+ range according to Phoronix. It's possible that updates to the most heavily affected software might mitigate some of the performance loss. In any event, security should be more important than performance.

20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I just tested that on my PC, and I had no performance hit at all for 4K reads and writes. In fact, writes were slightly higher than before the patch.