1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 build 1809 won't fit on a DVD+R!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by jeffmorris, Nov 20, 2018.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I have a four-day Thanksgiving Day holiday. I downloaded and used Windows ISO Downloader tool to download Windows 10 build 1809 ISO to my hard disk. I tried to burn the ISO to a DVD+R but I kept on getting messages saying that the ISO file is too big for a DVD! I downloaded and used Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to create bootable USB drive after getting messages saying that the ISO file is too big for a DVD! I wish to do clean installation of Windows 10 build 1809 but keep my data files. I copied my data files to an HDD just in case. I put games that I got from Steam on another SSD. Any suggestions?

2. G13Homi

G13Homi Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 2x xfx
    I used the USB iso

3. Priyeshbabariya

Priyeshbabariya Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 AMP+
    are the DVDs still mainstream? :eek:

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Microsoft states that you need a USB flash drive that is 8GB or larger. That same requirement would apply to optical media. (It's an artificial limitation, but a limitation nonetheless. The install media is actually only 3.79GB.)

From the Windows Installation Media Creation page:
    You can't do a "clean install" and keep all your files. A "clean install" implies formatting the boot drive, thus removing ALL files. If you want to retain files, you either have to back them up to another drive or perform an "in-place upgrade". Both a "clean install" and an "in-place upgrade" require installation media. A "clean install" requires booting from the installation media whereas an "in-place upgrade" requires starting the Windows installer (from the installation media) from within Windows. Going from an earlier Windows 10 build to 1809 will have fewer problems from an "in-place upgrade" than it will by allowing Windows Update to do the job because all Windows system files will get overwritten and not just the updated files.

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    Throw that dvd drive in the garbage. An 8GB usb key cost very little. And your PC will be lighter.
    I got rid of mine in 2012.

blitz72 and tensai28 like this.
  6. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I want to do "clean" install of Windows 10 build 1809 because I have software that I don't use anymore. Even if I uninstall software, there's still left-over stuff on hard disks.

7. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I did "in-place upgrade" on my desktop and two notebook computers. My desktop computer with Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC motherboard won't boot to the boot menu by pressing the "F12" key. Both keyboard and mouse are connected to USB ports. I think I don't have keyboard that plugs into PS/2 port.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    If you download the 1809 ESD and decrypt it choosing the option to add only 1 edition (Pro or Home or whatever), and choose compressed ESD instead of WIM it creates an ISO small enough for a 4GB flashdrive, so will also be small enough for a DVD

[​IMG]

Keitosha, airbud7 and akbaar like this.
  9. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I forgot about "Reset This PC" in "Recovery" app that I call up from "Update and Security" app. I found this out while searching the Internet for instructions on doing a "clean install" of Windows 10.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Been available since Win 8 :)

airbud7 likes this.

11. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    This morning, I used "Reset This PC" app to do "clean installation" of Windows 10 Pro, keeping data files and removing programs/software. I re-installed some of the programs/software.

Keitosha likes this.