Windows 10 Build 10586

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Nov 5, 2015.

1. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    586 is running nicely. I wish this was the orginal RTM. It's not perfect. The disparity between the switch over of UI is still very present but it doesn't come off like a redheaded step child nearly as much and actually feels like an OS instead of a developers concept build. I've even ditched StartIsBack full time as I for once have no need for it.

2. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    By the way, I do have a question. For those of us not on the Insider Program, can we still download the ISO officially and just update our Windows right now to TH2? Or should we just wait for them to roll out via updates?

Any suggestions?

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB

I think you'll need a fresh install. Wait for the 10th :D

4. Thuban

Thuban Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    It works with update. Mount the ISO in windows and setup :D Just upgraded from 10240 to 10586 without fresh installation.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I did an in-place upgrade as usual.

I have a HUGE amount of soft/games installed, a fresh install will force me to spent a few days to install all my stuff again.

In-place upgrade use to work very well, in fact it was many times a lifesaver to recover/fix "damaged" windows installs.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    How is it?

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    No problem so far.

It's soon to say if the new memory tricks made a difference.

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'll install it a bit later. Thanks.

9. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Thanks for the heads up mate.

Here's the download links if anyone is interested:

The ISO's are not official from Microsoft, but I believe the site is trustworthy? I hope so anyway.

http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-build-10586-iso/

I'm downloading now; the Google Drive link is a lot faster than the Mega one for me.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Thanks, Im gonna try it too, in worst case scenario I will refresh..

Was planning to anyway, win8.1 to win10 upgrade or some win10 update messed up L4D2 and Rift.. I just can't get them to work properly anymore :\

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Already decrypted the ESD in the OP. Backing up now, should be on TH2 within about 20 minutes.
    I'll test some things before doing it to see if memory usage is less. COD is a serious memory hogger. 11GB RAM used within 2 minutes.

Nevermind. It failed.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The memory tricks are only used when there is a small amount of free ram, i don't commit charge is a factor.

[​IMG]

1 minute into GTA V then alt-tab.

Similar usage as previous W10 builds.

13. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    To add to the above, I can also confirm there is absolutely no API Overhead improvements (in case anyone is interested), with regards to my AMD GPU (I say my GPU because I don't know if anyone else will gain or lose anything). All numerical differences in the comparison are within the margins of error (there is no benefit or detriment to API Overhead).

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/aot/84389/aot/83902

The link is above for the comparison, you can even click on the general tab to expand it and see that I am comparing 10568 vs 10240.

I'm going to test the Witcher 3 now.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It would be interesting to see whether Redstone next year will provide any additional benefits graphics performance wise. Who knows, maybe something in the next gen cards could benefit that the current generation doesn't? Who knows!

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have access to the Insider Preview but I have never used it. If I opted into it now to get Build 10586 (on the Fast Track) would that give me the same TH2 version that will be released on Tuesday for everyone else or would it still be a beta build (i.e. one that will automatically be updated to the next beta build when it is released).

I have backed up my Windows partition but am curious to update now. Or should I just wait until Tuesday? I have a lot of games and apps installed and want to go the upgrade route so I do not lose anything.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I tried that iso but it keeps failing with same msvcrt.dll - that visual c bull...

Something went fubar with them redist visual c but idk what.. Guess i'll remove all and see how it goes.

17. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I downloaded the ISO from the Google Drive link, used Windows to burn it but it ended up being corrupted, downloaded and used AnyBurn and burnt the DVD at the lowest speed possible and it was all good.

Use Edge to download the ISO. I noticed Chrome corrupting large downloads lately too for some reason. But all the Chrome issues I had with 10240 went away after 10586 update. It's running perfectly smooth.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Eh dont say that Visual C was issue on the first 2 installs of of win 10 I had.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Idk when but im suspecting August 12th comulative update, around that time I strated having this visualc error in latencymon and whocrased..

@blackfyre

Iso dl'd fine i burned it to dvd installer works but when it started checinkg -getting things ready it failed.. This is after it stopped checking for updates.. That installer throws a error it stopped responding with visualc mscvrt.dll as cause..

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm latencymon works fine on my end. I mostly refering to the endless updating of the same VC update threw the Automatic app update task once day.