Windows 10 Build 10240

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 15, 2015.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    it depends on what you play i believe,witcher 3 and fc4 work well for me

2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Only one problem so far. Getting popping/crackling noises during loading scense for a few games. Thought it was fixed, but was not when tested SC2 yesterday, but it only happens during loading.

Except for that, the performance have been on par or somewhat smoother experience than win 8.1 imo.

Games tested:
    ME3
    BF4
    SC2
    Metro Last light redux
    CSGO
    Tomb Raider
    Elder scrolls online

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The only game I have had problems running on Windows 10 is Activision's James Bond 007: Blood Stone (by Bizarre Creations). It loads fine and appears to be working until I realised that the main character was invisible (this is a third-person game)!!! Not only that but so are the enemies so the game is essentially unplayable...unless you like an extreme challenge! :D

Tried all the Windows compatibility modes and Run as Admin but nothing fixes the issue.

All my other games that I have played/tested are running fine with the only issues being the odd TDR from a per-game profile using 16QxMSAA or CSAA (not supported by Maxwell GPUs), which is fixed by dropping down to 8QxMSAA, or an incompatible AA flag (e.g. Transformers: War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron flicked with the 0x00000245 flag I was using but 0x000102C1 works fine for both games with 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA).

4. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
    Seems MS Update servers are overloaded as it takes ages to find updates...

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Found another game incompatibility for Order of War which returns an "Order of War failed to start (error 83)" when I try to run it. Fortunately, it can be fixed by going to the Steam game folder and setting the Compatibility of the oow_final.exe to Run as Administrator. The game will then correctly boot up in DX10 mode. This issue may have also occurred in Windows 8/8.1 as I have not played the game in ages.

6. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I'd like to know this as well.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Until they release addons, hosts file blocking works

Admuncher might work too, not tried it though

8. Lacusmons

Lacusmons Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Looks like MS is Rolling out the Windows 10 download. Got a Windows 10 install folder on my C: "$Windows.~BT" with date 2015-08-28 13:12. :)

9. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Windows 10 pro now showing up as "failed" update in my WU on windows 8.1. Noticed some activity on my C: drive today. Probably a preload...

10. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Damn.. seems like we have to reverted back to Win7/8.1 to get a genuin win 10 key tomorrow if you are running the insider preveiw. Was hoping it would just switch to my genuine key and able to opt out of the insider builds.. guess not

Upcoming changes to the Windows 10 Insider Preveiw builds

"“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire."

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's been the rules since day 1

Only way to get genuine retail 10 RTM, not in the insiders program, for free, is to upgrade from a genuine 7 or 8.1

Otherwise, you have to stay in the insiders program to stay activated

12. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I was aware that you would not get a free key from only using the insider program, but had a tad hope that since i upgraded from Win 8.1 in the insider program to Win 10, i could hopefully Opt-out after the day 1 update :) Well.. guess I have to reinstall tomorrow :)

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah right, well if you're on 10240, and you upgraded from genuine 7/8.1, you should be able to opt-out without any issues (I'd have thought)

The way I understand it is if you were only ever in the Insiders program for 10, and never upgraded from a genuine OS , then you have to reinstall

14. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    Is it the same windows/features if you see what i mean ? I just finished setting everything up again. Will i be missing out on anything?

15. deets75

deets75 Guest

warcraft 3 works fine, just thought I would add that as its an old game :)

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's the same build Insiders got, 10240, but there will be a day 1 patch that will change that build number for everyone

No need to download / reinstall, it's the same base build we already have

17. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    Ok good. Im sure there will be some sort of program put out unofficially that will allow you to put your win7/8 key onto windows 10 for people who want clean installs. There is 6 months left on my key so will wait. Win 8 keys are like £15 at the moment online anyway.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Once you upgrade from genuine 7 or 8.1, and go online with 10 making sure it is activated, you can clean install 10 on that machine and it will auto activate without entering any key

The machines hardware ID is stored on MS servers, so it knows you were genuine before upgrading

19. blackdog62

blackdog62 Member

GPU:
    2 Gigabyte R9 290X
    Maximum PC website has an article up for graphic's and motherboard drivers for Win 10

20. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Yes they can in many cases. I'm still using the 13.4 AMD driver on my Win 7 Llano based laptop because everything newer has issues and doesn't work as well.

I don't plan on upgrading that machine anyway though. DX 12 will provide no benefits to it and that's the main reason for upgrading in my opinion.