Windows 10 Build 10240

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 15, 2015.

1. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    Does anyone else have trouble with Battlefield 4. I get it crashing after about 10-15mins of playing with a out of memory error. I notice MSI afterburner reporting 6GB of Vram when i only have 4. I wonder if the virtual memory isnt set right or something.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have noticed another minor glitch with Windows 10 or perhaps the NVIDIA graphics drivers: twice now I've seen graphical corruption in Windows Media Player 12 while it was left scanning and adding my media. The corruption affects the text and buttons at the bottom of the screen and was something I never noticed in Windows 8.1. Minimizing to the taskbar and maximising again does not fix it but closing the program and re-opening it does.

Anyone else come across anything else like that, e.g. graphical corruption in program interfaces and skins, etc?

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Spoke too soon, both external drives are being battered again by WUDFHost.exe this time which appears to be scanning my File History backup on L and my Pictures backup on J. What is that service? I have excluded the drives from Windows Defender so it cannot be that? Or is it?

*EDIT*
    WUDFHost.exe is the Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process it seems as it is reading 15 MB/sec and using around 7-8% of the CPU. What does it do though and why is scanning an external drive?

Found this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...fhostexe/5d5a0e59-9c49-4280-83a1-1b6d4cefeeee

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have a look in the 'Details' tab of task manager, see if you can find WUDFHost.exe, right click > Goto Service

If it has a service, it should open and highlight it

Some info about it here
    http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wudfhost.exe.html

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Could it be a SLI bug (detecting 2 x 4 GB as 8 GB for example)? I've read that SLI is not currently working very well in Windows 10 but I may have got that wrong as I obviously only have the one card. Does the game still crash with an out of memory error if you disable SLI?

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Seems that it is Windows Media Player 12 that triggers WUDFHost.exe to scan the external drives as part of its synchronisation features, at least from what I read in that thread. Looks like I will have to avoid using it...I'm only running it now so that any devices I use to stream from my PC have access to my complete music library. Normally, I use iTunes or MediaMonkey. I'm just waiting for the media libraries to be updated then I can close the app. Already both my external drives are at 51 C and 53 C!

*EDIT*
    Just closed WMP and immediately the WUDFHost.exe stopped accessing the drives and dropped to 0% for both CPU and Disk usage.

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I stop using media player about 6 years ago.....

actually I cant really have a say. because I use online music streaming.

and I should change that, because if the internet goes down. then no streaming music.

8. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    It could be. Now that i think about it. The Games that run well with SLI dont take much Vram up . Just cause 2 for example i was only for 4 hours last night and i didnt have one issue with it. Crysis 3 seems fine as well. Although ive just tried the Test Range of Battlefield 4. It goes from about 3GB to 6.250 on msi and didnt crash so this could be more of a issue for EA to look at and since Windows 10 isnt out yet i cant really complain.

The price of bleeding edge. Funny as i just got a Corsair M65 & K95 so wanted to test it out in shooters. But i can wait. Im lucky as the K95 seems to work well in windows 10 here but some people seem to be having issues.

9. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I just noticed an issue when i try to uninstall a program, the Program and Features panel just disappears.
    So i can't uninstall anything i wonder if it's the KB3074681 update i will try to uninstall it and see what happens.

10. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    yeah its that update causing it.

11. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I just tried Extraordinary fix stopped WU service deleting SoftwareDistribution restart.
    Now i can uninstall normally again.

12. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    idk if anecred before but how remove microsoft acount password
    (login password)? netplwiz not working

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    not really shocking there were reports of this works floating around the web that it worked, for while. make one wonder why ms even tries at this point, in all honestly though if ms want everyone to move to win10, they just need to let every one upgrade to it freely for first year which seem to be happenin anyway.

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It could be just an experiment (just to see how many people do not want "sacrifice" a W7/8.1 license or how many people are without a legit W7/8.1 license). Remember that MS is still able to update the windows activation tool with a simple - silent - update. :infinity:

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i know there many people that went this root at beginning and months later hit with watermark there not genuine it could be month before the truth is really found out.

Specially with the fact updates are mandatory at this point

16. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Easy just click on the windows icon, choose settings then click on Accounts.
    Under your Profile there should be an option to sign in with a Local account.

It will ask you for your password then you are done.
    (Note do not enter a pin if you created one just your e-mail pass)

17. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    This will work, but your MS account will be a separate profile and you won't have access to any of the "features" that come along with signing in with an MS account. Correct?

18. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Yes like Sync your settings wont work, but you can manually sign in separately for each app like the store for example.
    Also if you sign in to Edge you will get notifications for all your e-mails.

19. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Windows 10 allows default MS application to be updated without a MS account too, which is nice compared to Windows 8 behaviour (before you had to force the update with ms-windows-store:updates command). Other MS vs local settings can be found in the group policy management console (gpedit.msc for friends)

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Has anyone tried it on a macbook pro? Just curious how good the trackpad gestures are compared to OS X on it's own hardware