Windows 10 Build 10240

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 15, 2015.

1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Weird. So far I don't seem to have any balancing issues with the SBZ, but I did have them with the X-Fi. The center speaker was always lower than the rest, or Windows would default to 4.1 instead of 5.1 with music. It was really annoying. But then again Creative's Windows 8/8.1 software was never properly updated.

2. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Thanks for this installed just fine and i don't use RAID, just AHCI..

3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    for anyone interested i did an upgrade install on a win 8.1 kms activated spare machine i had and it still stays activated just fine

i do have a legit win 8.1 pro key i just wanted to see what happened :p

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Elevated CMD: slmgr -xpr

What does it say?

5. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    when we will we got to no how many men are usin win10? it will be intresting to see so we can look at it. I can think it will be anyone who is on the 7 will have upgrade to 10. only the men who have 8.2 will maybe stay in it for longer (becase it is good). let us look at it

6. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It's probably just my ear and what I was used to. It's like my center channel is screaming at me and I can barely hear the other channels. But it's all sorted now.

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    That's good you got it sorted.

8. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks. I'm sure there'll be other obstacles with a new OS, but it wouldn't be fun if there wasn't. And. I don't have to pay for it.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KB3074681 has issues. Don't install it if you can. Resistance is futile though.

10. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    LOL, I had issues trying to un-install. My screens went blank and it closed down control panel. And the darn update is still there.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    This :-

[​IMG]

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If you look at %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder you will see that they are upgrading a lot of system components with this "security" updates.

What kinda issues you get from KB3074681? Remember that you are still able to report issues via Feedback application.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well, that works....

Update was available, ran the update hider, stopped WU service, deleted software distribution folder, started WU service, checked for updates, still trying to install it

[​IMG]

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You can choose to Defer updates under the Windowsupdate settings.

Remember if you are genuinely using Windows 10, which is only possible at this stage being a member of the Insider Programme, then if you are having issues with the latest update it is important to provide feedback on it (and detail the issue if possible). Issues can only be fixed if Microsoft are made aware of it.

All these recent updates are in preparation and wide-release testing for the release of Windows 10 in a few days. The staff are no doubt working overtime and all weekend in order to make sure the update is as best as it can be upon release time.

It is now more important than ever to provide feedback since no doubt they are closely monitoring the feedback system more so than normal. Simply complaining about it on a forum is pointless, you have to remember running Windows 10 build 10240 currently is purely meant for testing purposes for Insiders, so if you aren't an Insider it was still your choice to run it (and cheat the system), and therefore you forego the right to complain :).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I took my center channel out. Although I view a center channel as critical to HT setups, never thought it was much use in a PC. The front speakers are too close in a PC setup (25-28") that with music, I find a center speaker often interferes with the stereo imaging. Also due to the narrow spread of the front speakers, the SBzx does a pretty good job of providing center fill when configured without center channel in a PC setup.

16. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Just a quick off topic question guys..

What's the best/easiest way to create a backup image after a fresh install? Is it worth getting third party software or is the build in "Backup And Restore" just as good?

Edit:

Ok, I cant seems to create a bootable repair disc as I have no DVD drive. Are we still in 2001?

Anyway, is there any way to create a bootable USB drive with a backup of my whole windows install?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    A Get Office app popped up when I checked the Windows Store's > Download > Check for Updates option. It allows you to download the full Microsoft Office 2013 suite and use it free for a month. Thereafter it is £5.99 per month (via Microsoft's Office 365 subscription) which doesn't seem like a bad deal IMO. If a new version of Office comes out, say, 2015 then I presume you would get access to that as part of the monthly sub fee? There are also tablet (Mobile) versions too that run as apps.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    8.2? When we will we?

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Had mostly used 3rd party imaging programs but had a look at W10 backup. Its Win 7's old backup/restore being used in 10. Gave it a try and it created an image fairly quickly (little to no compression). Image does not need to be on DVD/USB but can be on any drive on your system. To restore it, you would need your original Win10 install source (presumably on USB flash drive) and boot into it. Select repair, troubleshoot, advanced options and you should find the restore image option which will find existing system images on your PC.

20. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Thanks alanm.

Is there any program that will create an image with a bootable UI? I would like to have a dedicated USB drive with the complete backup image and everything I need all in one place.

For instance..

My windows install gets corrupted by some unknown event, ie. last night I checked for updates, one downloaded and I rebooted. Something must have gone wrong as there was no boot menu. I had Windows 10 installed on a spare ssd and dual booted with Windows 7.

Sadly the PC booted straight to Windows 7 and gave a BSOD followed by a restart. No way of getting out of it without a complete reinstall.

It would have been great to have a bootable USB drive, with a complete disc image to boot from and restore..

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015