Windows 10 Build 10240

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, there are no more activations for any builds atm, so it is a good thing we upgraded when we did, or we'd be unactivated or having to use 'alternative' methods

Not sure about SiB licensing, the license from SiB+ works with ++, don't know about the original version though

2. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    On Windows 7 I always unlocked the Administrator account, logged into it and deleted all other accounts.

Is there any way to do the same on Windows 10 while still remaining signed in to receive updates?

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I don't even think MS have even finalised the RTM yet, which is very strange, but also worrying that the full release version is going to be a bit of a mess.

4. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi keenan,
    I always do this too, yes the same think work's. So far this real Administrator account worked on windows vista windows 7 windows 8/8.1 now windows 10.

ps worked for me anyway

I recommend a clean install frist

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    I would not recommend doing that as, from memory, it prevents you from using the Microsoft Account fully, i.e. settings won't be backed up automatically to OneDrive. Like you, I used the hidden admin account when I Windows 7 but it caused problems when I upgraded to Windows 8 - I could not download apps from the Store for example - hence why I ended up doing a clean install and using the standard admin account instead.

You can set the standard Admin account so it acts effectively as the hidden administrator account anyway by setting UAC to off. There really is no need to use the hidden admin account IMO.

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Breaks Metro apps if you run the Admin account

You can fix it with gpedit

7. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    We have determined it is almost the same as the WU ESD we got..but a as far as we can find, a few things were changed for OEM use. It is the same build as the esd before the big KB update the other day.

I am not sure how long my gdrive link will continue to work in the first post.

Incidentally the "activation" is not tied to your MSA. It is some HWID string stored at MS.

I did a clean install of the img file never entered a key and did not attach my MSA and once I installed my NIC drivers it was activated permanently. However way back when I upgraded this system from a legit retail win 8.1 license.

One change is you can can change telemetry options in settings now depending on your version, another is the default is opted out of the insider program.

Also it appears that the Security Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3074665) is a high priority update aka a day one patch.

As soon as installed my nic driver WU immediately started downloading the KB before anything else and installing it. In the past it would download defender updates first.

8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    My bad, I`ll add credits to the links, I was on my phone when I saw the links and just emailed them to myself for when I booted the PC

9. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega

No worries no need for credit...I just know with the link and gdrive it can go off line for too much download and everyone prefers to download from gdrive.

10. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Incidentally for those that do not know...an IMG file is an ISO. You can mount both the same and install from it. Or if you want to do a clean install just change the file extension from IMG to ISO and burn it.

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Doesn't seem bootable for me in VMWare for some reason, with .img or .iso

12. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Did you change you folder view options before changing it to ISO?

You need to untick Hide extensions for known file types first.

That is as far as I can help as I have only use VM stuff a couple of times ever.

13. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, I set extensions to show permanently

14. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Maybe the download corrupted...I am guessing that...since last night, I was able to mount both the img and ISO and start the install within windows as well as burn the ISO to USB via rufus and clean install..... had a corrupt download happen with my first 10240 download

...about walk out to the beach for a while, just waiting for my partner to get back from a little beer run...will check back later...I actually prefer our help here in this forums over you know where...no drama in this thread, but I need info from you know where. HAHA ( but then again we are a much much smaller group here)

15. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Use this at your own risk, it worked for me perfectly - but as with anything such as this there is always a risk..

Change the login screen tool.

Edit.
    Removed, a recent update changed the security on the file this tool changed, as such it can cause a black screen on boot sometimes rendering you locked out.

Not worth the risk now.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015

16. mbushnaq00

mbushnaq00 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti 6GB
    guys please help, I have an issue with Windows search were it does not return any search results from the new System settings. Like for example, if u type "update" it will show "View installed updates" from the old control panel only, while it should show also "Check for updates" from the new System settings. I tried rebuilding the index and logging in through local account but I am still facing the same issue.

If anyone has any suggestion that be really helpful.

17. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Doesn't seem to work on my end.. Access to the file is denied..

Sorry, had to run as Admin.. :stewpid:

18. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    Anyone know how to change the window color . Dont like this White windows and personalizing the theme doesnt seem to do anything except change the start menu and taskbar color

19. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I just did a clean install of Windows 10 pro Build 10240 on my second SSD witch had no OP system on it.
    I mounted the iso and copied the files to a usb stick for installation.
    I skipped the entering keys and once it was installed it was self activated permanently.

Seems weird that no one can activate any more, as it worked just fine for me.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=400522