Windows 10 Build 10041 Live

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Mar 18, 2015.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Will find out around 9pm tonight...... I'm hoping that's all it is. If not, I'll be stuck with Win8.1 on 1 PC and Linux on the other....

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Fingers crossed

3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    nevermind

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Welp, I didn't get a chance to test it last night but I did get the ISO downloaded and the install media created. By the time I got home last night, I was exhausted. It's been a long week....and still got 2.5 days left since I'm on the schedule for Saturday this week.

5. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    When I installed to a separate partition and opened IE for the first time, a tab opened up that specifically said that the Spartan browser was not yet available but that some of it's new features had been integrated into IE. IE had a little icon at the far right to choose like or dislike on each site.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I can't even get this build to install.

It boots from the install media (a flash drive), lets me go through partitioning, then says it can not boot the next step in the installation process and instructs me to restart installation. There's no error code to research....

7. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Do you need to create a GPT UEFI install USB stick?

My tablet would upgrade to the reboot step, then fail, made the above stick and it worked first time

I use Rufus
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
  9. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX580
    anyone playing with 3dmark yet?
    [​IMG]

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My Win10 install media was created using the same utility as my Win8 and Win8.1 install media.....both of which work properly.

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Maybe it's the dual booting it doesn't like, I've only installed it in VMWare and once with much earlier builds on a native machine with no other OS

12. Hitman006XP

Hitman006XP New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 980 4GB
    @primetime^

I just ran the API test. I've got 11.656.925 draw calls with my i5-2500k @4,2ghz. I'm happy to see that 2 cores more dosen't make my CPU look old;) by the way my Firestrike score is 10.508 with Standard clocks... so GPU@1126 and RAM@3505 and it's 11.412 with GPU@1325 and RAM@3805.

EDIT: can't post image or link because i'm below 10 posts... how silly is that...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  13. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I have a stellar idea for Microsoft ! How about you turkeys allow users to purchase a dx12 patch for windows 7 !!! I would pay ya money for that patch.
    I have windows 10 10041 atm and geez it sucks so badly hate it. Thank god the only thing I ever use windows for anymore is games; anything else is mint Linux.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's not as easy as just patching it lol.

Still not used W10 myself as my 8.1 install is as good as it gets and i'm getting to old for messing around and testing, but i'm glad DX12 is limited to W10.
    Might give in over the weekend, curiosity is definitely getting the better of me since the 3D Mark update.

The less OS's that need to get tested with during development the better, there are to many variables as it is.

15. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    That was fun, after about 5 attempts spread over about 2 weeks of different build attempts, I finally managed to get Build 10041 to install and work on my 8.1 tablet

After working out I still needed a GPT UEFI USB stick to get the thing to boot from USB even after disabling Secure boot, I started installing backed up drivers from 8.1

99% of them worked fine, but one would hang and hang forever installing, forcing reset resulted in Win 10 not booting any more

Reinstalled 10

Decided not to install that one driver, and continued with the rest, rebooted, and still hung

Another reinstall as there seems to be no safemode options whatsoever now, not even after getting to the advanced repair screen

No CMD commands worked so I reinstalled again

This time realised I needed to manually right click > install the .inf for the WLAN driver as it was not showing in device manager - when I went to reboot, it hung again, so now I know which driver is the culprit, booted to repair console CMD again, deleted the .sys driver from windows\sys32\drivers, rebooted, and it booted fine

So next was the hunt for a compatible WLAN driver - this is a cheap-ass no name tablet so wasn't looking hopeful, but googled for the realtek WLAN model and found that the HP Stream 7 was similar enough hardware wise to use some of it's drivers, grabbed the WLAN one and the Auto-Rotate that I'd lost wiping with 8.1 a while back

Fixed Auto-Rotate (Sorta, it thinks portrait is landscape and vice versa), but WLAN although installed and rebooted fine, wasn't working

Final attempt, right clicked and told Win 10 to search automatically for a driver from it's own reserves, and very surprisingly, it worked, so why not install it during setup?

Anyway, all done, all working finally

Hate it, PoS OS even in tablet mode

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

16. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    safe mode works fine from win key+r > boot > check safeboot and networking if required and reboot, goes into safemode and when you reboot again it goes back to normal windows

or do you mean theres no way of getting to safemode if the OS has failed to boot?

17. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    This is the best build so far imo, only minor issues that are easily forgivable so I decided to stick to win10 instead of using it only for tests.

The only annoyances I've encontered so far was how I've spent nearly an hour trying to install the driver for my sound card (which was even updated for win 10), it only worked after I manually installed it through device manager, then installed te software for it separately, since if I tried to install both at the same time like normal I'd get random errors.

But other than that, everything seems to be smooth. Haven't done any benches but my frames in all the games I play (BF4/BFH/WoW/D3/Skyrim) Seem to be about the same as with win8.1. I did noticed that WoW runs smoother but it may be just placebo.

All the custom themes I use in win 8.1 are working with win10 since the last build, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Pics:

http://s24.postimg.org/k5h3qmzgl/1111.jpg
    http://s24.postimg.org/smgm1k45h/222.jpg

18. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Yup this - which is the main reason you need safemode, if you can get into the OS, you can generally fix it from there anyway

It's pre-release, but something as simple as installing the wrong driver kills the OS, and no safemode, then how are we supposed to fix it without a massive p1ss on?

Automatic repair doesn't work, which is lame, as the OS should know which driver it's hanging on and remove/disable it automatically during repair

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  19. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    hopefully microsoft will do something for the final release then

forgot to say.. i too am using this as a main Pc installed on my ssd, there is some difference to 8.1 in that 10 boots about 1 sec quicker lol but everything i do/use/games all work with only 1 minor hiccup in that the audio service takes about 1 min to start

i have even managed to get sound over hdmi to my TV which i couldnt do no matter what in 8.1 and got my modded drivers for my microsoft lx-3000 usb headset to install fine via compatibility settings for win 7

im liking it so far.. i have my backup of 8.1 just incase :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  20. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015