Windows 10 Blocking Counterfeit Games ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    icrosoft's new unified services agreement is freaking people out because it contains language that says Microsoft can scan Windows 10 devices for pirated software and block it....

Windows 10 Blocking Counterfeit Games ?

2. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 4GB
    If I were to hazard a guess, I would say this is about pirated Windows Store games and apps. That's just a guess though, time will tell.

3. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Yep, probably because they made side-loading easy and it allows Store apps and games for piracy. I dont think they could detect if a Steam game is pirated or not.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The corresponding guru3d user thread, LINK HERE

5. SchroeNeeko

SchroeNeeko Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290x Gaming 4GB
    HH I believe there is a section of most of the news reports on this subject that somehow nearly everyone manages to miss, M$ only have the ability to block first party games that were developed/funded by M$.

Games like Halo, Halo Wars 1/2, Gears of War and others like that, anything else is not on the cards as of this point in time, so no blocking of anything that was not developed by M$ or it's sister companies.

6. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
  7. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    Yes it can after all you cant disable the disable button that stays enabled when looking disabled in the home version. Then bypass the host file if you really want to try and block it phoning home because they have hard coded DNS written into it. Then on top of that they have even gone to the expense of making a pop up error to make you think it's not working. Just do a packet sniff AFTEr everything is supposedly disabled. Quite frightening really.
    Microsoft havent changed at all. New CEO same old Sh1t Hey but at least you are locked in by DX12 right? Makes it all worthwhile

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    You are right, of course...the language was trucked over from some inane xBox Eula crap...that's all it amounts to.

You know, all this "spying" stuff is such a gigantic mountain of BS. People can be such morons, apparently. They don't stop to reason out the insane improbabilities in their "Microsoft wants to spy on me," panic attacks. "OMG, Microsoft wants to know what I emailed my girlfriend and what I ordered on my last pizza! Help--SAVE ME from the wicked Spymasters!"

A generation or so back, people were unreasonably afraid of a "Red under every bed." Today, they've moved him from under the bed to inside their computer cases. Sad commentary on the sheep-like nature of humanity. Mob/herd instinct--like Lemmings they all go over the cliff together. Just pathetic, imo.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Referencing the first link, the first comment posted was the first thing I thought myself:
    "If Microsoft can't even determine between their legitimate and Pirated OS, how do people expect them to tell between Pirated and Purchased games."

MS is notoriously bad at preventing piracy. Like honestly it's a joke considering how bad they are at prevent it. I remember how they touted Windows 7 as being the most unhackable Windows ever, yet before its release day people already released pirated copies.

All that being said - even if this is all just misinformation, there's nothing to worry about, because MS can't do a damn thing to stop pirates.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's not MS who are bad at anti-piracy, it's worldwide, there are only a handful of programs/games that are impossible to crack (thus far) and half of them are because the groups who do the cracking, don't see the point in wasting their time cracking rubbish

11. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    Your comment makes no sense at all.

Not one single bit.

12. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    so this addition to "windows10 telemetry -keylogger" lol
    i did care more about keylogger than this

i dont think ms care about steam games, they care about xbox piracy mainly

plus nowdays there lots of games sales/discount every week (humble bundle, g2a etc.)
    even though there tons of people still pirating game, if ms block, its their fault for pirating game, same like botting in mmo, if u get banned then its ur fault for botting

eventually people will find a way to disable these function anyway
    same like telemetry/keylogger...(not sure if it completely disable or not, but at least most of it function disabled)

13. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Who uses the windows store anyway?

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    On PC? Not I.

15. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I do

has basic harmless free games my son can play.........

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The Win 10 store?

I check it out now and then if I'm bored, and the other day I downloaded a bingo game for the missus that wasn't available on her tablet - useless for pro desktop users, good for mobile game players

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I know exactly what he meant. While not directly to this topic, it points towards m$ strategy in general.

18. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Well, i doubt any of the shutting games down story is true (apart from them doing it to pirated microsoft first party games) but if it started shutting down other games etc i'm pretty sure people would just switch back to windows 7. Microsoft don't want that so i doubt they'll tamper too hard.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yet almost everyone owns a cellphone and your exact position can be determined at any time. Face it, as technology advances you have less and less privacy. But those same people that complain about privacy issues are also the ones who complain when new products aren't innovative or don't bring anything new to the game.

20. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Every MS Win 10 PC or device get a unique ID for games/apps found in C:\ProgramData\regid.1991-06.com.microsoft.

This ID is used to verify if the App/game has been purchased through the MS Store or not.

Then you have the USO Files in ProgramData to help MS detect which app/games you actually own.

I have tried Deleting these useless files but they are persistent and keep returning, even if you don't use/want them.

This is all to do with Xbox live store and the App store and MS account.

MS are saying you need an MS account if you want the full use of the OS which is BS.

Soon MS will be bringing all Xbox games to Win 10 and if you want to use that function then i'm afraid you'll have no choice but to use an MS account.

Same as Steam or Origin really. Only MS will be able to scan the PC for dodgy copies of their software and block it somehow. Maybe even ban the account for ever or just use annoying pop ups to tell you a certain app/game has no Legit license.

Banning or blocking none MS software would land them in court and would be a nightmare to police.

Some people including myself have used cracks/NOCDs for ever, even used on LEGIT purchased AAA Titles that have intrusive DRM.

It's not illegal to use DRM blocking software and having a cracked game on one's HDD doesn't prove it's stolen, so that's the grey area that for now can't be fixed.

You can accuse me of being a pirate all you want, but you better bring solid proof because i'll sue you for defamation. Just because i downloaded a game using uTorrent also doesn't prove anything because again it's not illegal to use such software and maybe i just used it because i get better speeds.

TBH i don't really give a **** what MS does anymore but one thing is for sure, i'll be trying my hardest to rid my PC of Bloatware/Spyware or any other Crapware MS wants to force on me.

I just wish MS brought out a Win 10 Gamers edition that is super light weight and has no Metro crap or other BS and i'd even pay for that....