Windows 10 :Automatic Updates and AMD drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by lorikano, Aug 21, 2015.

1. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Question 1)
    Most of us here are used to downloading beta drivers from guru's threads and the usual way of installing them was :Unistall ,safe boot -DDU. And that was it. Any other way would result in an unclean install. Now taking this into consideration we get automatic updates from Microsoft which downloads and installs them by itself and skips all the steps mentioned above ,now my question is will this result in a clean install of drivers ?
    Question 2)
    How do I stop microsoft from downloading AMD drivers BUT only AMD drivers.
    Thank you.

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I think installing with DDU isn't required but it is good practice installing drivers knowing the previous driver was uninstalled completely. There's nothing wrong with installing a driver on top of another one if there isn't something conflicting afterwards.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  4. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    OK ,but I'd rather prefer to be in control of what I choose to download and install.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Indeed, me too. I was just replying to Q 1)

6. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    With Windows 10 pro, you have the choice regards what updates you accept. You can change settings which then enables you to review pending updates, and then install or discard. Basic Win 10, you don't get that option within Windows itself. You will need a third party app to do that.

7. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
  8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The problem with Windows is that Microsoft has to assume that you have the brains to perform updates by yourself. Since this is the kind of OS targeted to billions of people, you get where the problem is. They haven't found the golden middle ground yet, but as an IT person I actually approve of what they're doing with 10.

9. Yezirael

Yezirael Guest

Haha,

i was really angry on automatic updates yesterday ..

I've disabled the Automatic Driver updates @ Win 10 PRO (Control Panel -> System -> Advanced / Hardware -> @ Device Installation Settings i've chosen "No, let me choose what to do; Never install driver software from windows Update"

I had the 15.7.1 installed before (build 1002); yesterday the screen flickered - & it installed 15.7.1 - build 1004..

After doing some research - the 1004 build fixes some rare issues with Microsofts Windows 10 Camera App && Skype ..; so they flagged it as important update for other products (imho - a potential problem with skype or the camera app [on a desktop computer...] does'nt justify the means for overrriding the User's Settings.).

After even more research - i found several posts in several forums that're telling - disabling updates for "Other Microsoft Products" @ Windows Update's Advanced Settings should stop automatic driver installs/upgrades whatever..

But we will see .. i'm very sceptical it's now truly turned off.

Personally i absolutly do'nt agree with the Politics - i'm Software Developer (3D Graphics / Games. :/) i may have my reasons to use a specific GPU Driver.

So it's also up to AMD (I hope a AMD representative will read this topic carefully); to prohibid such behavior in the future; as the driver is AMD's intellectual property - it should'nt be that hard to tell them how to proceed with updates and how to -not- .

10. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    Hey guys I'm on win 10 pro and I've made sure that windows is set to not download and install driver software in advanced settings. Despite this it has now done it 3 times for catalyst drivers completely overriding that setting. I want to stay on 15.7.1 but it's proving impossible. How the feck do I stop windows doing this? Once it happened when I clicked check for updates, but the other two times it has done it on it's own. Is there a way to stop it without 3rd party software?

11. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Because AMD driver updates are marked as important, the update is enforced even if you have windows set to never check WU for driver software.

If you're on Home, one solution is to completely disable WU services, and install desired updates via an external program like portableupdate (link). Another is to set a wi-fi connection to metered (doesn't seem possible on ethernet), and hide updates before they are downloaded with the MS Show or hide updates tool (link). Rechecking again, should remove them from the pending downloads list.

Under Pro, there are more options without resorting to non MS software (but the previous suggestions will also work). By running gpedit.msc, you can go to Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\ and set Configure Automatic Updates to policy to "Enabled" and "2- Notify for download and notify for install" (image). Reboot or enforce it via run: GPUpdate.exe /force.

This policy will be updated after there aren't any pending downloads, and then, if you go to Settings\Update&Security\Windows Update\Advanced Options, you'll see at the top "Some settings are managed by your organisation", and under Choose how updates are installed you'll see greyed out: "Notify to download" (image). If you still don't see this, and only the usual restart drop down options, it means that you'll need to finish current pending updates and after some reboots, it'll be applied.

After that, when windows periodically detects new updates available, instead of automatically downloading them, you'll get a notification, and on Settings\Update&Security\Windows Update\ you'll have a new "Download" button (image). You'll be able to review your update list, and hide what you don't want to install via the MS Show or hide updates tool (link) (just create a shortcut to it, and pin it to the Start to make it handy).

The only problem with this, is that when windows hasn't a list of currently available updates, you'll see the usual "Check for updates" button. By pressing it manually, WU will check for updates and ignore the system policy for some obscure reason, starting to download and install if it finds any.

But there's a trick to check for updates manually without starting the auto download/install process, it's by invoking the same process windows does on the background for a simple check (when the previous policy is set, of course). Just run "UsoClient.exe StartScan" (you can pin it on the Start menu by creating a shortcut first to "C:\Windows\System32\UsoClient.exe StartScan"). If updates are found, you'll see the manual "Download" button on Windows Update.

If an Updated AMD driver is listed, then you'll only have to run the MS Show or hide updates tool, select the corresponding AMD driver to hide, and then run again "UsoClient.exe StartScan" so that the new pending updates list will be missing it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  12. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Mine is set that way and I have not received a single driver update for anything since day one of Windows 10. I have the Home version too, not Pro. I did not change that setting either. It was that way since the beginning. I think it carried over from 8.1 which was set the same way.

13. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Should we be preventing these driver updates though? I'm still confused to whether or not they provide any benefit ?

14. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    Thanks AlleyViper really informative, as soon as I get home I'm going to try your suggestions!! Cheers

15. Dr451

Dr451 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte AMD R9 270X 2GB