Windows 10 and drivers for not used hardware

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Gazebo, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Gazebo

Gazebo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070 Super
    Hello Gurus!

While browsing through drivers section of Autoruns utility, I have discovered quite some 3rd party drivers are installed on my system. For instance Intel RST, while I am on AMD chipset Motherboard.

So my question is: why do I have these High Point drivers, MEGASAS RAID drivers and so on, if I am not using products from these manufacturers, and did not install those?
    Are these included by default in Windows installations, or came together with some pack, like for instance AMD chipset drivers?

See below screenshot, the entries, that I am talking about are not ticked - I have disabled them.

Screenshot 2020-12-06 120333.png

Reason for disabling - I am actually investigating recent BSODs, resulting from misbehaved driver. Before running Driver Verifier, I went to Autoruns to disable drivers, that I am certainly not using.

Thanks for your answers!

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Many those drivers are pre-installed with Windows. Just in case.

3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700XT Gaming OC
    Gazebo likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it'd be better to get driver verifier kernel dumps to the folks at sysnative forums, the guys there are a mix of microsoft, former microsoft and kernel driver developers and know there way through dump files even better than I do to the point they can identify the location in the cpu that an exception occured.

Gazebo likes this.

5. Gazebo

Gazebo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070 Super
    Thank you for your replies, for time being I will keep those disabled and will continue to look for faulty driver. I have strong feeling it is NVIDIA one, but to be fair will test all.