Windows 10 20H2 (Build 19042.508)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by disq, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Akakiy

Akakiy Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 5700 MECH OC
    • We fixed an issue with a deadlock in the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCPIP) driver that causes the operating system to stop working or stop responding.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what is ment by "causes the operating system to stop working or stop responding." we talking windows just freezes or somthing?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I was going by the 19042.508 ISO so the .540's and .570's cumulative and now fully released updates and all that these fixed since the .508 build. :)
    https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/author/brandonleblanc/

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...dows-10-insider-preview-build-19042-541-20h2/

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...dows-10-insider-preview-build-19042-546-20h2/

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...dows-10-insider-preview-build-19042-572-20h2/

And for the preview ring .608
    https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...dows-10-insider-preview-build-19042-608-20h2/

There's a chance for a end of the month cumulative rollout for fixes that might be what this will be part of ahead of the November monthly cumulative update and rollout as part of the Tuesday update routine.
    Second Tuesday every month, focuses more on security fixes but as it's a cumulative update it'd have everything from .572 to .608 and newer if that's when the next public release update is coming out.

This one is kinda important though yeah.
    Probably priority enough for that end of the month bugfix update although from memory these are almost a monthly event now anyway.

EDIT: Deadlock I presume or soft hang requiring a reboot.
    (If the OS stops responding you're kinda out of options after all.)

EDIT: Figures, oh another cumulative update was found wonder what this one does well it looks like it's just a bunch of welcome bug fixes and making the newly launched 20H2 build robust and nailing down these last few issues as part of a preview of next months cumulative update cycle.

And then I skip right over a high priority fix likely a critical one as it's serious issue stopping the entire system potentially if it occurs.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    • We fixed an issue with a deadlock in the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCPIP) driver that causes the operating system to stop working or stop responding.
    I had a problem like this in the last days.

Just did a clean install today of 20H2 .608 - i hope it fixes the hard lock.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I am noticing "MicrosoftEdgeUpdater.exe" keeps popping up in the process list many times during a day, sometimes every few mins. It doesn't run long most times but I wonder why all the activity.
    I see Task-scheduler there are two tasks, one is supposed to run once a day and the other once a day but with an advanced option of repeat every hour till one day (MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineUA).

Of course, this can be disabled, I rather they had auto-update when Edge chrome runs. I may just disable cause I don't use Edge anyway.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah I uninstall that, I tried the edge chrome what ever it called I didnt like so i just removed it which removed both of those tasks

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Are you on ver 2009, cause Edge is grayed out to uninstall in the Settings> app and programs? Maybe PowerShell could uninstall it.
    It was able to be uninstalled when it was in beta or early preview but seems not now officially.

Anyway, I am going to watch it and see its activity over the next few days, if it is still going crazy I will just disable the tasks.

I noticed now in feature options they removed IE11 from the list, so I think they are making Edge Chrome the default for internal OS web links

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yes I am on 20h2 I used CCleaner uninstall section to uninstall I beleive cause it just grayed out in windows, could try right click on the edge chrome install and see it it has uninstall option in the startmenu, but i pretty sure I uninstall it threw CCleaner seeing that where I do most the uninstall of apps I dont want

The MS edge is what comes baked in to windows that more difficult to uninstall

9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yeah, looks like CCleaner and O&O AppBuster can remove it.
    I will leave it for now installed.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah like said I use CCleaner to remove that stuff cause not all the time does windows allow you to uninstall those things, it can be uninstall but MS remove the option of picking uninstall atlest from apps/programs, think they might bury it in that "advanced options" for the apps another mean's to uninstall but it probably ghost out there too. I Also think WPD would do the same thing

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you didn't like the fastest web browser on the market?

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    nope look to much like chrome and no where near customizeable as firefox, and frankly it was no faster or slower then firefox in actual use, it might start up faster that about it

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Guys! I am missing the mount option when i right click ISO, explorer is not able to open the .iso as well.

Can anyone please check if its the same ?

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    change the default .iso extension handler back to windows own built in zip handler.

if daemontools or alcohol or even winzip have changed it, you won't see the Mount option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4

I know, i even reset it to defaults , its not showing somehow

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  17. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I put my pc to sleep and it woke up instantly without input, then I checked with powercfg /requests and it shows this, what does it mean, legacy kernel caller? I've never had issues with my pc going to sleep before.... so this is new.

[​IMG]

I have wake timers disabled.

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    HK-1 likes this.
  20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Looks like it was my ethernet, wake source says Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller....

weird.