Windows 10 20H2 (Build 19042.508)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by disq, Oct 20, 2020.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Key word there. these days my pc is glorifed web browsers, so long as pc start up and that works i dont care. but once i get back to play my PC games. it another story on what i will to put up with windows and it updates that break things

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Excessive. Just need to do a SFC /scannow, and if this reports issues that it doesn't fix, THEN you can do all that other stuff. Otherwise you're all good.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my problem with my gamepad keep my monitor from going to sleep is back since the SFC /scannow the 2009 drivers that where working to let it go monitor go to sleep no long work i have pull the gamepad again

4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Windows is trying to install Edge on my machine..lol, twice now!

20H2 .685 Version.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    That's part of the update, new Edge Installer software and auto updater same as what's in the base Vibranium / 20H2 update. :)
    (Enabler script for the actual features and Chromium Edge installer package.)

Think there's a policy you can set to deny this and then various in-app settings and services for the updater routine which otherwise does multiple checks per day it seems like but the default Edge build is legacy now and this is taking it's place.
    (Two scheduled tasks and one service plus the settings and advanced config settings for auto updating in Chromium Edge or what to call it itself besides the OS stuff.)

EDIT: Well same as it's packed in again but a newer build once more likely for the security enhancements in Chromium 87. this is based on and the new updater version added as well.

6. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    No no, i clean installed .685 - unistalled Edge..after a restart..Edge was there again! :D

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    In uninstalling Edge does it actually remove the browser+updater or just the browser because if the updater remains that would explain it then.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge <- Browser
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate <- Updater

Wouldn't surprise me if you'd have to check and the cleanup just either removes Chromium Edge but leaves the updater which can then add it back or it tries to disable app edge which is the older legacy version now.
    ( C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe )

Guessing some task or service from the auto updater is what brought it back, maybe it can't be uninstalled with normal routines and would need additional cleanup.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Download\{F3C4FE00-EFD5-403B-9569-398A20F1BA4A}\1.3.139.59

That's where it downloads itself too, can't find a uninstall exe for it but perhaps the installer can also serve as a uninstaller.

EDIT: Plus a whole bunch of policies controlling this behavior too.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies

Maybe this one?
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#updatepolicyoverride

Or even more.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-update-policies

Denying install should do it assuming it works as described.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-update-policies#installdefault

But this is a bit of a issue with some of these.
    So it's less about Pro or Enterprise level policy restrictions and now also domain ones.

Could be other registry settings or services like the MicrosoftEdgeUpdate one that I believe defaults to Automatic with Delay and might work just to set it as a disabled state. :)
    (Later updates to the Edge Updater through newer cumulative OS updates will reset this.)

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I use CCleaner to uninstall it and after I did that the chrome edge didnt come back even after restarts

Both
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge <- Browser
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate <- Updater

are removed along with tasks in task scheduler,

MS edge is still on system though

JonasBeckman likes this.
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Round 2 same update soon as boot up welcome screen take way to long to get to desktop and when i do get to desktop is constantly flicker does ms test anymore

del webcache didnt fix t now i try sfc /scanow

Really getting tired of this crap

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I really dont know about Microsoft anymore, If I have to start running SFC /Scannow after each and ever update in safemode comand prompt, something is wrong...

I in windows and system is usable again though.

I now have 3 copies of TextInputHost.exe folders 2 of which are disable be rename.

Screenshot (27).png

Intresting enough the one created today after the sfc /scannow is not disable via renaming and exe ISNT running atlest not after the 4 shutdowns and startups I did to make sure PC continued to startup correct after the update fracking things

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that same update got pushed to windows on my dad surface and same issue surprise surprises

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'm still running it without these problems D:

is your dads surface using the latest Intel dch driver?

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    here a conundrum for you how do you get "bit locker" key to get in safemode with command prompt when you cant get into windows normal or windows softmode cause screen just keep flashing cause explore keep crash to actual do a sfc /scannow

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    if you are having repetitive issue with CU updates and SFC finding problems, then download the CU updates manually and install them from the.msi package

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Surface is auto updated seeing is runing home

kind moot at this point I cant get into windows normal i cant get to safe mode cause I need some bitlocker key that I didnt even know was even running,

So i cant even get it to safemode with command prompet to run sfc scannow fix the problem

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Heres...an idea, are you using displaycal, flux or display fusion at all?

All 3 have had cases where they just broke windows.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    No there not being used. like said i cant even get into safemode of any kind cause it want bitlocker key i didnt even know bout which could only be found in windows last i check which i cant get in

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I "cant" wait till the next updates to see what they do.

ONly thing I can think of is I disabled TextInputHost.exe on both pc via _off at end of it folder to keep that from running. both system now have new base folder for it and but atlest the TextInputHost.exe dont run on either. so long as it dont run i dont need to rename its folder to stop. maybe that rename is what cause the issue with updates? gona see what happen with next update.

I am tired of MS and there updates, if they screw this off MS should be automaticly doing sfc -scannow behind the scenes with each update

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Some of the latest CU/updates if you run SFC /Scannow will find errors, for me it fixes them no problem in windows when it happens. A lot of people have same thing too, just check Tenforum.com.
    But my question is why worry about that TexInputhost.exe, it doesn't use any CPU cycles?
    renaming it probably flags SFC test scan.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    more process used the more power used not much of issue on desktop more so on battery power devices and single dual core cpu seeing there slow enough, I also dont like things running that I dont use never will use just for sake of it running, like others people around here that disable TextInputhost.exe

At this point it dont mater TextInputhost.exe isnt running and it not disabled so MS changed something with that, which fine with me i dont like have to rename to stop it running to begin with

Food for thought this update when it went threw on surface and screw it up. has ZERO history about this update going the, last update it got was when I updated it to 20h2 but has the same verison number as my pc now. but no entry about the update anywhere.

I also looked at realibitly monitor when this happen, it was hammered with "windows explorer" crash every time the screen flashed there was another "windows explorer" crash entry