Windows 10 [20H1] Build 19041

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Anybody know where i can get the iso for this pre-final build? Looking for Windows 10 19041.113 64Bit En-Us ISO....

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Going by GPU Z this is probably still a thing.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

And it looks to be a bit hit and miss on the defragmenter UI whether it takes or reports (Visual error only.) that the drive still needs optimization for some SSD units.
    Other than that another nice batch of fixes and perhaps other unlisted corrections too, getting there but I expect another patch unless Microsoft is going to be sending this out with some remaining issues despite the lengthier test period since 19041.1 compiled. :)

And currently that's I think 19041.84 as the latest install media which I expect will also be updated to whatever the newest cumulative will be at that point, this one perhaps unless it's close enough to final release that it'll be the next and then general release / distribution of 20H1 or however things will go.

5. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
  6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Microsoft's naming scheme is based on the year and month the new version is supposed to be released. So this time it's 2004 is because it's 2020 and April. If it's like the previous rollouts, the public rollout via Windows update should be happening sometime early May. They haven't always been on schedule though, for example, 1903 last year was continually delayed and released to the public in May.
    In the past, Microsoft has officially released the update earlier for the Update Assistant, so we might be able to update that way within April.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    oh, i guess W1zzard forgot when we talked about the new version scheme for directml being intended.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Ah so maybe not a bug then, good and it does look like Microsoft is taking their time with the 20H1 release as well and gradual deployment and more testing however I was expecting them to move to a yearly release cycle and instead we still have something like two builds a year but I suppose this should work pretty well too. :)

Heard things improved as they shifted some positions around a bit on Microsoft as well maybe that's also showing now but that's just something I heard and the OS itself must be a gigantic mass of code and compatibility both backwards and for future additions and implementations where fixing older code likely risks all sorts of breaking changes.
    (Such as the earlier D3D9 memory issue being worked around which I think falls under one of these examples as to not break stuff elsewhere.)

Since shifting over to 20H1 here and the slow / release preview ring after landing on 19041 it's been working fairly well, feels like it slows down a bit after a few days but well it's Windows I guess and a periodic reboot isn't bad on occasion. :D
    Especially as the solid state drive can do things a bit faster, funny that the biggest benefit thus far was the actual build upgrade and well it's done it seems, already. :p
    (Other stuff benefits but not hour and half process now down to a few minutes like that did heh.)

EDIT: Overall it's a nice build even if it's still a work in progress even if Microsoft isn't going to publish anything like 19042.x or newer and will work via cumulative updates until it is release ready.
    And the fast ring I think was something like a interim build that will eventually be 20H2 but so far is just the latest additions and changes for Windows 10 until it's I suppose branched off into the next build and release version later on. :)

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Windows development team is now part of the Azure team, which means it actually has access to people who know windows core internals instead of interns and wannabe designers.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  10. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500

11. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  13. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Is this the build they are releasing next month? I thought i heard they were having issues with rollback on this build...

14. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    chinobino likes this.
  15. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    "Always use this app to open file" option is missing. I just noticed after wanting to change my default media player to MPV. In the default apps section, there is no browse option anymore to select the .exe program you want to choose as the default app.

Right clicking a file type that MPV can open, going to properties, does't give the option of selection a default app for that file type anymore either. The only way to do it, is to right click and use open with as the option, and then having to do that every single time you want to open that file type with a specific app.

Is there a way to bring back the "Always use this app to open file" option or to add a specific program (.exe) in the defaults section of Windows?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    default programs editor (third party)

Blackfyre likes this.
  17. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thank you :cool:

18. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I have to individually choose each file format and associate it to MPV individually using this program. While before I could just go to default apps in Windows and select browse for "Video Player" and that would select the majority of file formats straight away using MPV. And then if I wanted a specific file format that was not associated with MPV, I could right click any video file for example that wasn't automatically associated and choose from the properties the default program I want to open that file format in the future.

I cannot fathom why a feature like this was removed from Windows by Microsoft. Really shouldn't need to go out there looking for third party programs, giving them administrator privileges, to do something as simple as file association.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if you want to do that, do it from the settings applet, set defaults.

On the Start menu, select Settings > Apps > Default apps.

20. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    That's the problem, MPV does not show up in the default apps section anymore with 19041. Can't choose it for audio or video. Before (1909 and prior), when I click on "Video Player" for example, it would have "Movies & TV" app, "Windows Media Player" program, and then a browse feature. The browse feature allowed the user to select an executable, such as MPV from its directory to become the default app for videos. The browse feature is removed.

I fixed this now, but it's only applicable to MPV, I found this GitHub program (linked below), had to copy all the files to the MPV directory, run the mpv-install.bat file with administrator privileges, then go to the usual Settings > Apps > Default Apps, and now I can choose MPV as a Video Player and as an Audio Player.

EDIT: (Forgot to add link) - https://github.com/rossy/mpv-install

This process of finding a third party program to give me access to something that was already built into Windows wasn't necessary before, because they had the "Browse" option available where you can choose your own executable.