Windows 10 [20H1] Build 19041

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Dec 11, 2019.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wait is it broke as in it dont work or broke in that it dont know it it was ran?

I though ssd run trim operations after something is deleted in firstplace?

2. Dan

Dan Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super
    It's not recording the dates that it has run, so the scheduler is stuck in a loop of checking the date while the PC is idle, finding that it has 'never run' the running optimisation on each drive. It seems to only be wiping the recorded dates after the PC is restarted (or shutdown then booted) though.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I find this bug a little funny, before there was bug that stop it from running all together, now there bug that constantly runs it cause it not taking notes about fact it ran already? :rolleyes:

Microsoft is laying that irony on rather thick

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I think I would disable that task till they fix it, you should be good for a while with modern SSD's.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I went back to 1909 until they fix it, it's basically the first version of 10 to have the least amount of problems that allows it to be useful, 2004 introduced a few more I'm not willing to put up with *shrugs*

One of these days microsoft will figure out how to release a good version of 10...

maybe.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think it more likely for Microsoft to say It supposed to work like that and "they" expecting use to believe that. seeing that is what has been happen for while

7. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Anybody getting any disconnections or modem rebooting or whatever with 19041 with the latest Windows Updates?

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...dows-10-insider-preview-build-19042-421-20h2/

19042.421 on the beta (Former slow ring.) channel.

Cumulative update again same as 19H2 was to 19H1
    Wonder if that means the dev (Former fast ring.) is just the latest build whatever now.
    (This one currently: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-20175/ )

EDIT: So yeah 20H2 as a cumulative on top of 19041.388 to 19042.421 though I don't know if the final 20H2 will be a full build update or a cumulative. (With a complementing refresh for the install media / ISO as usual of course.)

EDIT: Whoops.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Did they fix the HD defrag task scheduler not knowing it defraged?

10. disq

disq Active Member

GPU:
    GTX
    Not yet

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    [​IMG]

12. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
  13. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    [​IMG]

I installed this yesterday thinking ohh it's a new update I guess it needs it... completely made doing anything once logging in impossible, the whole desktop was just flashing black then desktop with icons to black over and over and I couldn't click on anything.

Then came the realization getting into safe mode is different in windows 10, then forcibly restarting to get to recovery menu, then uninstalling the update from recovery menu, which did not fix the problem, then trying to get to recovery menu again only to find it just automatically scans the disc for problems because I was forcibly restarting it while it was booting trying to get to the recovery menu, then finally getting it to show the recovery menu again this time choosing safe mode but it just restarted into normal mode, then trying again this time with safe mode with command prompt, that worked but no desktop showed only the command prompt with a black background... so I did sfc /scannow

This worked, all this was like an hour and a half of frustration.

Thanks Microsoft, will not be doing that again.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 5:10 AM
  15. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    @KissSh0t - Frustrating indeed, mine was like a normal update, like a full 5-8 mins.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    It also took a few minutes to install.here, seems I just pulled the short straw and windows went full retard.

Windows should never go full retard.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This has fixed an issue some drivers and monitors experienced, the bugginess might be a result of that and need coordination with amd drivers to fix it.

Dragondale13 and KissSh0t like this.
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Working here but yeah it seems like a further fix of what was in 19041/19042 .421 and updates much the same files so 20H2 through a cumulative update and if on the beta ring also the option to opt into the update that enables 20H2 itself (19041->19042) basically a small script and a stand-alone Edge Chromium installer.
    (Hmm maybe it's some specific display combination too re-reading the post again not just the GPU.)

EDIT: Well it's also 20H1 without that package but the difference isn't all that big, most the user would see is the "Hi I'm Edgium!" super full-screen annoying pop-up after that installs and that there's some contrast and color on the start menu now. :p
    There should be packages for controlling Edge-Chromium and it's behavior but they are seemingly missing currently for the group policy editor so the services and registry editor have to be used instead like trimming down it's update check tendency and such.

EDIT: Most of the D3D files seem untouched but Microsoft is doing something with D3D9 as that .dll got updated first to .421 and then to .423 and then there's the existing defrag issue with remembering last time it ran as those files are still 19041.81 I think it was.

EDIT: Oh right as per the blog entry opening the system setting from the control panel now also redirects to the "About" page in the settings app for some reason or another, I assume the control panel will eventually go but I have no idea how or if they will migrate over all the useful handy settings and utilities.

Personally I like the control panel UI more than the text and submenus and hidden advanced menus app based system even once they somehow manage to integrate all of it into this app thing instead assuming they don't just cut the majority of it entirely or you have to launch things individually through a run command.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 9:11 AM
    Dragondale13 and eGGroLLiO like this.
  19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I sometimes wonder if Microsoft leaves bugs in each new build on purpose to give people a false sense of hope that the next build will fix it.

itpro likes this.
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Dont say that CP must never be removed, the Metro UI crap is no where near is simple and clean and easy to find things as the CP