1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 1903 + Nvidia 430.39 = issues with Vulkan hooking in certain programs

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by DaRkL3AD3R, Apr 24, 2019.

1. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC
    Experiencing some strange issues with Vulkan + RTSS hooking for some games/programs. Namely Dolphin and PPSSPP emulators, Vulkan doesn't get hooked by RTSS. OpenGL, D3D11 and 12 all do just fine. Pics:

OpenGL:
    https://i.imgur.com/4myJ3hZ.png

D3D11:
    https://i.imgur.com/HNw4rzj.png

D3D12:
    https://i.imgur.com/PJG2AC4.png

Vulkan:
    https://i.imgur.com/7D9M98F.png

I don't show RTSS in the OGL shot but all settings were identical for RTSS across all shots. What's really bizarre is that RTSS can hook into Vulkan just fine for RPCS3, another emulator and it's business as usual. I know this leads one to believe this is an issue with Dolphin and PPSSPP, but it is strange that RTSS was hooking just fine before on older Windows and drivers, but suddenly is not. Hope it's possible to understand what is going on here, very strange behavior from these programs. Thanks.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

No promises to peek inside it in nearest future, sorry. Emulators are neither target applications base nor priority/area of my interests.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    1903+430.35, not affected

[​IMG]

430.39, affected.

What could have changed in this small space.

@ManuelG
    Default driver settings
    Hardware agnostic

GPU caps viewer is affected too.

If you leave it long enough the overlay will eventually appear.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  4. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC
    I left Dolphin for a long time, probably like 15 minutes just running and it never hooked https://i.imgur.com/dPnAODk.png

Interesting so it is the driver 430.39 specifically that broke this. Good to know.

5. Unwinder

Once again, no promises to investigate it.

6. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC
    I got that Unwinder, Astyanax was flagging @ManuelG an Nvidia representative for him to look at it.

7. Unwinder

Don’t think that it is up to NV to fix either. I’ll need to do it some day in future, but not in the nearest time.

8. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC
    If perhaps it's a driver bug since it works in 430.35 but not 430.39, it would be on them to fix no? Nothing wrong with RTSS or Dolphin etc? We wait and see what Nvidia does with new drivers maybe it corrects itself.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The application it eventually hooked was GPU Caps viewer, so there might be differences between it and the emulators that allowed it to eventually hook.

Find a game that demonstrates it if you can, Vulkan Dota2 maybe?

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Hey Unwinder, found a free repro case for you, Dota2 vulkan is not showing the overlay since this driver update.

Works with DX9 / 11 and OpenGL

DaRkL3AD3R likes this.

11. Unwinder

D2 works with Vulkan renderer here, but requires application detection level to be set to high for this application profile due to dynamic Vulkan runtimes loading implemented in this application for both AMD and NV platforms/

DaRkL3AD3R and Astyanax like this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The detection level change works for the ops reported issue too, as well as gpu caps viewer, Something in the new driver is requiring a higher detection level. Strange!

Thanks for looking into it.

@DaRkL3AD3R add Dolphin/PPSSPP and any other app you come across this issue with to the RTSS profiles list and set them to High application detection level.

I've reproduced this on Win 7 and 8 as well, so its not a weird driver model thing, it might just be the Driver being more resistant to external hooking (might be safer?)

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    DaRkL3AD3R likes this.
  13. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC
    Interesting stuff! Sorry I don't have or play Dota 2 so I couldn't check that. Is there any detriment to using High detection level like increased CPU usage? Just curious what the distinction is from a cost -> gain perspective.

14. Unwinder

Peek into context help, it documents changes between different detection levels. It differs by installing additional hooks in each process context.