Windows 10 1809: Are you Mitigated with Sprectre or a New Microcode?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Eastcoasthandle, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You monster, lol.

GG Hemi.

2. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I've been considering to install Windows 10 1809 Enterprise LTSC just to try it. Rumors say its better and with less bloatware, also less RAM consuption at idle. But can you replace the microcode? I was able to get Haswell Microcode 22h on 1803 with zero issues and the best one, which is right before the 23h, which is the microcode that slowdowns everything with Spectre&Metldown "security". (Just lol at Intel and MS).

Anyway, I have a microcode installer for Haswell to get the 22h and force it on the O.S: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5c0g9atz6l91ld3/Haswell_Microcode22h.rar/file It works, as HwInfo reports the microcode 22h. Honestly, I forgot where I got that from lol, but its really useful. This only works successfully on Windows versions 1803 and earlier that I know of. Just Google the microcode update for the specific Windows version, delete it and run the microcode installer. Done.

More info on that: https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-i...pectre-performance-stability-differences.html

If I install any Windows 1809 version after deleting mcupdateAuthenticIntel.dll will I be able to inject my own custom microcode? Or will I be unable to do so? Because if its like that, then f*** newer Windows versions, i'll just install 1803 LTSC (that I know i'll be able to inject it with the custom microcode since the O.S in itself doesn't have any microcode baked in) and call it a day. Intel and MS can eat a lot of crap in my book. These mitigations should have a toggle and you should be able to switch your microcode; its up to you if you want it or not. Not shove it down our throats like if we were 10 years old.

3. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    No clue about your specific tool, but 1809 LTSC as well as more recent versions have no problems running with my old BIOS microcode after I delete/rename the DLL.

Smough likes this.
  4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I see, thanks!

5. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
  6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I fixed my mitigation issues by installing the Ryzen 5 3600 hardware patch. :rolleyes:

Astyanax and Turanis like this.
  7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I updated from 1803 to 1809, then inserted the 22h Microcode, disabled Spectre&Meltdown BS. The system is faster, I got better I/O benchmarks and everything seems to go a bit faster. I just have a small issue with it, but no idea if you know anything about this: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/p...sition-and-r6s-need-help.431381/#post-5773949

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Astyanax likes this.
  8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The only 2 win10 versions I know that were good are 1703 and 1803. I actually skipped 1809 do to some latency issues I read about. I don't recall what they are now as it was some time ago. If you really don't need 1809, etc. I would suggest you go back to 1803 and wait for the final build 2004.

Furthermore, have you tried to disable microcode update and revert to what the Bios uses? Just to see if you gain any insight into the matter?

Although software microcode updated do help in some areas they will hurt intel cpus in others (at least mine) which is why I don't use them at all.

9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, I deleted the microcode from System32 and installed microcode 22h for Haswell; the latest one and the one before the newer microcodes included this "wonderful" security. Well, my latency is low, latencymon shows great numbers, I updated drivers and also updated 1809 to the latest compilation, as well as other fixes updates. On 1803, I have a problem with the Timer Resolution; using bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes would yield a timer of 0.9999ms or if I tried to set it to 0.5, it would be 0.4999ms, very weird and buggy. On 1809, its fine again at 1ms or 0.5ms if I want to set it to that.

The system is faster with 1809 and my mechanical HDD got better scores, this of course without any mitigations, I am literally taking the benefits of this version and taking away any slowdowns due to "security". As for my DWM problem with R6S on Borderless, it seems to have gotten better (the frametimes, if it keeps being not so stable, i'll clean install 1809), I disabled some stuff I changed, then rebooted and did it again. Maybe when I updated from 1803, some things needed to be reset.

Or just stay like this and wait until Windows 10 2004 comes, which seems its going to be the "definitve" Windows version or everything points to that. I don't have any system problems, so maybe, just maybe I am freaking out.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Have you noticed spikes in frametimes from MSI Afterburner's Hardware Monitor and in OSD with useplatformtick enabled. Like a consistent spiking even though the game is smooth? Yes, I did notice that it helped me with my mouse and it did keep the timer resolution at .5 but for recording vids it was annoying trying to explain that.

I created a thread about it:
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/t...-or-msi-a-b-problem-now-corrected-fix.430595/

Perhaps that's not a problem for you?

Smough likes this.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yes, Afterburner graphs do seem to completely lose it with useplatformtick enabled, I just ignore the frametime results since it doesn't co-relate to what the OSD is showing when I am playing any game. The OSD shows stable numbers and the graph inside MSI Afterburner is absolutely nuts.

No idea if the timer resolution to 1 or 0.5 could help with this.