Windows 10 1607 + 516.94 driver for GTX 980

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by antoniu200, Aug 19, 2022.

1. antoniu200

antoniu200 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 980
    Hi,

Today, I have modified the INF files in the 516.94 DCH driver to support Windows 10 1607 (non-DCH) and the driver turned out to work just fine. Did some benchmarks, played some games, everything seems stable.

What got left out and bothers me a little is the nVidia Control Panel. It's very useful for forcing certain settings on certain apps (e.g. Adaptive Sync).
    I don't need the one from the latest driver, one from the latest compatible one would also do, but I really want to have it. Of course, trying to install the latest one would be most interesting, however.

Does anyone here have the knowledge to enlighten me on how to do it and what files I would need to modify?
    Thank you!

2. cloakengaged

cloakengaged Member

GPU:
    AMD
    how?

also iirc nvidia profile inspector works like control panel.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There is no point to being on 1607, cease the operation of your botnet immediately.

Sajittarius likes this.
  4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    You can just use nvidia inspector to modify the settings, but it's a little bit more limited since you can't set sharpening amount in that program anymore or set latency to "ultra", seems nvidia inspector only goes to the "on" setting. It used to have all of these options, but for some reason the author completely cut off most of its features, apparently something related to the newer nvidia drivers. My advice? Just install Windows 10 20H2 or 21H2, no issues with these versions, very fast and all games are super smooth on these, also they now have better features than 1607 and more stable too.

5. antoniu200

antoniu200 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 980
    The usual: just remove NTamd64.10.0...17098 from everywhere you find it + remove that catalog file and references to it in the INFs.
    I'll give that one a try, thanks!
    If you don't see it, doesn't mean there isn't one.
    What?
    I don't really care about sharpening, just Adaptive Sync, that's really all, at least for now. But good to know, I'll have to look into this tool, thanks!
    Meh, I hate the new features, they made it way too bloated for me + I love the old Control Panel + the new ones are very inconsistent from a design standpoint.

Still happy to receive some advice on how to get that NV Control Panel running.

cloakengaged likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Control Panel in 21H2 is still the same as it was in Win 7.

7. enthusiast29

enthusiast29 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB
    There's a perfectly fine v1607 LTSB release still supported to this date and till Oct 2026 by Microsoft. It gets monthly cumulative updates (including preview CUs on 4th Tuesdays of the month) which includes bugfixes and security fixes just like the current releases.

Many organizations use v1607 or v1809 LTSB/LTSC SKU of Windows for a reason. It's very immature and presumptuous of you to draw conclusions without having proper knowledge.

antoniu200 likes this.
  8. antoniu200

antoniu200 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 980
    Do a side-by-side comparision. Btw, the reference Control Panel is from Vista.

There you go. Thank you!

EDIT: Anyway, forgot to remind everyone. This isn't a 1607 vs 21H2 or later thread, but rather a thread where people learn how to port the 516.94 driver to 1607 as best as possible.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    enthusiast29 likes this.
  9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, I mean, if you like 1607 then just continue using it, I use the Windows version I feel works the best for me, now what some dumb "tweaker" on YT says. 1607 is excellent anyway, it revives old computers because it's so light and also, it can boost a good PC by a lot shot, games are just crazy fast in it too. I had some issues running newer games in it, but overall stability is top notch, it doesn't do weird things and it just works, this is how MS should have kept Windows, it is the most "pure" version of Windows, feels like a modernized classic and I will always respect it. If you can hack your way through it and make newer drivers and stuff work in it, then that's great.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    1607 is not supported by driver vendors, get off the botnet

You are not a legal use case for LTSC.

11. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    1607 was much better than current releases. I'd still use it myself if there were drivers for my GTX 1660s on it. But either way, your self righteous attitude about what other people prefer to use =
    [​IMG]

enthusiast29 and Smough like this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Your opinion is invalid, the only people that can use LTSC have a legal VLK copy and have it deployed on kiosks or machines that must be run on a steady stable update stream, you have no legal right to be on 1607 LTSC, and the consumer version no longer receives updates.

Use the appropriate software for the machine you're using and stop crying that nobody supports your mistakes.

~AngusHades~ likes this.
  13. antoniu200

antoniu200 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 980
    Who says anyone in this thread is using it?
    Because you say so? Ok.
    How does this answer my question? Doesn't.
    How does this feed your addiction? Heavily.
    I am, thank you!
    I see nobody crying but who's spamming my thread with off-topic replies and repulsive behavior.

At this point, you've been reported. I hope the forum takes some action against this. If not, I am out of here before I even properly began.

14. EugeneJackKhoros

EugeneJackKhoros Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    If you're taking it so seriously, maybe you should go to the police?
    Otherwise, why take half measures, post on forums, and tell people what to do?

Smough likes this.
  15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    OK back to topic pls

16. antoniu200

antoniu200 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 980
    Okay, I just searched for "nvidia control panel" in the Start menu search, there was an icon there matching my search. I cliked on it, the agreement popped up and guess what? The damn Control Panel works just fine too, although it lets me know that "NVIDIA Control Panel is not installed. Install it from the Microsoft Store".

I just found out the reason: the control panel I just launched is from the older driver version: 472.12.

But guess what? I searched the Microsoft Store for "nvidia", in the results I saw "NVIDIA control panel". And it just installed. And I just launched it. And it works just fine. And it was added to the right click menu.

So, conclusion. The latest driver works flawlessly on Windows 10 1607 (at least for the GTX 980).

Smough and EugeneJackKhoros like this.
  17. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    That's great, I am happy for you! Now keep ejoying 1607, I'd still use it if my GPU was compatible with it, imo is the fastest Windows version ever despite some compatibility issues, I always install it on old computers that have issues and it helps them a lot.

18. dakillbr

dakillbr New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8G
    Okay, I had a problem with my drivers and ended up here on my quest to solve it, and felt obligated to contribute more detailed info about the INF file modification, since it did help me. So I created an account.

I must say that the newest DCH drivers indeed are not working on 1607 anymore - device manager throws an error about "Request not supported", which seems that the driver is actually trying to use some functionality that is not available on the 1607 kernel. But if you do this process in an older version, think it was 535.98 or 531.18 (can't remember exactly since I've given up on DCH drivers, keep on reading to know why), then the procedure will work OK.

Now, the process was: grab NVCleanstall, it's an awesome program that de-bloats the NVIDIA drivers. During its process, it will extract the installer contents into a folder, from which you can modify them before proceeding. First, launch NVCleanstall and point it to the driver installer you get from NVIDIA website. Choose the "Minimal" profile (only Display Driver). Then, it extracts the files into your Temp folder. JUST after the extraction, do not click Next - go to your Temp folder, find the NVCleanstall folder inside there and open the nv_dispi.inf file (for other GPUs, maybe the file will be different). What you'll see is that there are sections dedicated to v1607 (kernel 14393) and sections dedicated to the newer ones. What you'll need to do is go to section dedicated to newer kernels, find the line corresponding to VEN/DEV of your GPU and copy it into the section for 14393. Save the file, and go back to NVCleanstall, mark the option "add hardware support" and choose your GPU there - this step is needed so the option "rebuild digital signature" is unlocked. Verify any other tweaks you may desire and now, proceed normally. It will process the setup files and then you can launch the installer, and it will actually install. Reboot and enjoy DCH drivers on Windows v1607!

BUT BEWARE !!! : as the INF files are modified, the driver signature is now invalid which COULD trigger the anti-cheat of games (as modified video drivers are one of the hacking vectors cheaters use), so I decided on not following with this method. I ended up trying several different versions of the Standard drivers until I found one that solved my problem (CS2 wasn't launching).

To conclude, if Nvidia wanted, they could make the new driver work on older (but fully supported by Microsoft) kernels, or at least make the older DCH drivers (the ones that work with the workaround above) available for older kernels, by just changing some lines inside the INF files.They have $1 trillion valuation but are cheap to not cater to their users.

Also, in these and many other forum posts about installing DCH drivers on Win10 LTSB, it's staggering the amount of people that do not have a solution and instead just judge OP for not using the latest bloatware ridden version of Windows instead of a fully supported LTSB (or Server, in my case - got the license from Dreamspark partnership with my uni) version (like that "you have no legal right to be on 1607" guy above)... if you can't answer the actual question how about not posting? /rant

Smough likes this.