Windforce 980ti Fan Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hellraiser, May 15, 2018.

1. Hellraiser

Hellraiser Member

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Hi people I need a little help with the fans on my gigabyte 980 ti :(

A friend sent me hes old 980 ti and I had a problem with 1 of the fans not spinning correctly after delivery so I took it apart and re dun the paste and cleaned up the fans and played around with the problematic fan and after that it was has been working fine for a few weeks.

But today I turned on my pc and noticed the fans were spinning at high rpm so I took a look and the bad fan was spinning slowly "So I kinda new I was having that problem again".
    [​IMG]

But my Question to you people who understand your hardware is that there is 3 fans and they all get there power from the 1 wire that clips in to the board "yes" and that fan is the one I am having the problem with, the other two fans after that seem to be working fine but it like they are getting a higher rpm "more power"

Is the fan controller on the actual fans or in the wire or on the board ? because I'm starting to think that the controller is the problem because msi afterburner cant even control the fans ? but it was fine before hand.
    possibly one of you legends will understand what I am trying to say and help me a little to work out the solution.

After a few weeks on this card I don't really want to go back to my 290. and my game improved a lot Pubg Top 10 Oceania player.I don't want to go back to 1080p please help me find a solution. If i had a job I would buy a new card but this is not possible at the moment. :confused:

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Hellraiser likes this.
  3. Hellraiser

Hellraiser Member

GPU:
    2070 Super
    [​IMG]
    I know a guy that done the same thing. and yeah its a option but I might just buy these fans and hope they fit seems to be same dimensions but yeah not sure why the controller problems.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Alternatively use 92mm fans if those aftermarket ones don't work.

Then put those on mobo headers.

Hellraiser likes this.

5. Arshad Hussain

Arshad Hussain Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6850
    Get your checked by some hardware expect it could be because fans are drawing more energy from your cardboard secondly there is an issue with fans of your card. Fans could be replaced easily with new one or you can also get them ordered from Ali Express.

Hellraiser likes this.
  6. Hellraiser

Hellraiser Member

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Thanks for reply's people's. Sprayed some WD-40 in the bad fan and now it seems to be good but yer I might take the fans off my old 290 and put them on the 980ti if the problem happens again. Thanks again.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    WD40 won't last long.

You'd have to lube them with proper oil