[WIN7] deleting old window files

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by jed_tb, Mar 2, 2010.

1. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    hi all,
    recently made the move from win 7 and its good stuff just one problem - it wont let me delete old windows files on seperate hdd's.

ie. i installed win 7 on one drive as a test and then took that out and install win7 for real on another - so i want to delete win 7 on hdd1, but it has other files on there i want to keep so cant just format.

when i go to delete, it wants me as a trusted installer.

now iv read things around the net of being proper admin, and i enabled that through the command prompt and it still came up with the message??

ideas/suggestions????

2. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You need to take ownership of the drive and give yourself full control.

The other drive prob still has your old Windows account as the owner.

You don't need to download anything, just right click on the folder or drive then go into the Security tab.

4. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    @magicdave26 - iv downloaded that before didnt do anything at all! infact it broke my windows (couldnt install msn live or anything lol) and had to reinstall windows.

@pillmonster - i will have a look at that, but swear iv been into security before and selected all the tick boxes but the last tick box is greyed out (the one i want)

5. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    Taking ownership of files would not damage them unless you took ownership of another partition and then tried to log back into that OS because all the permissions would be set wrong

It cant damage your windows installation if you are only taking ownership of files you want to delete

Remember, whatever you take ownership of, the OS you did it from is now the owner of those files, so if you try to access them from another OS, you would need to take ownership of them again from there

I use this tool all the time, it doesnt damage Windows installs

6. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    Thats what this reg entry does for you, duh

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Why the hell would someone go to the trouble of downloading a reg file off the net simply to take ownership of a drive, when they can do the same thing in 3 mouse clicks on the desktop? Duh...

Seriously get a clue.

8. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    No mate, you get a fckin clue, how much trouble is it trying to explain to someone how to take ownership of the entire windows folder and subfolders via the security properties tab

or

install this and right click the folder

fks sake, wake up you doosh

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Pill Monster, i had this same problem recently after trying to remove a W7 install i used for testing drivers, as well as a dozen or so other folders that were refusing to budge, and it took alot more then 3 mouse clicks.
    Ended up downloading that reg file too, and what would of taken me several minutes took me several seconds, and will be handy for future use.

No need to get so angry about something so trivial guys.

10. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    Naa this dumbass trys to prove me wrong with everything I post here, not just about this post

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wtf...I never made a single comment towards you. Now you've pissed me off.

Feeling a little insecure are we?

I don't need to - or try - to prove you wrong - you manage to do that all by yourself.

Jesus you must think people are stupid here.

You keep posting BS and I call it - simple as that. Sorry if your ego gets bruised during the process.

The truth is you DON'T KNOW how to assign permissions. You're like a Window: easy to see through.

I could explain in one short paragraph

To Take Ownership

Desktop----My Computer [Drive] /Right Click---Properties-----Security-----Advanced------Owner---Edit---Replace Owner/check Replace Owner box.

To assign permissions

Desktop----My Computer [Drive] /Right Click---Properties-----Security---Edit---Add--(your username).

DONE

So simple even you might be able understand it.

If you don't know the answer to something, then don't post. And don't bitch when you get called out either.

Maybe if you lurked more and posted less, then you might actually learn something.

I've seen some people on forums pretend to be someone they're not, but nobody does quite as poor a job as you.
    If you don't like it at G3D then I'm sure Tom's has room for someone of your wisdom and charming personality.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  12. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    guys chill.....
    put it this way from my point of view iv downloaded said file previously and it hasnt worked (the files are still restricted), so i will try pills way and let you know.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    PM me if you get stuck...

14. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    The only person around here not knowing what their talking about is you mate, I dont need to prove anything, I am not insecure like yourself, I dont need to suck on my mammys t*ttys like you every night to get to sleep because you can not stand thinking about what a pathetic little tiny di*ked assH*ole you have become

And if you stopped drinking and taking so many drugs maybe you would remember slaggin me off not so long ago for trying to help someone else

You are nothing to me, apart from an annoyin blip on my screen

Get a fkin life - maybe you should learn a small amount about computers before opening your uneducated mouth and making yourself look stupider than your mother already does

15. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    no need at all for that mate.

16. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    Plenty of need for it, the guys a tosser

17. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Oh guys, cut it.. there's more important things out there, then arguing and insulting each other..

Fact is, the reg file that magicdave26 posted, is indeed the quicker and more simple way to do it.
    And fact is, that Pill Monsters way work aswell, just that this "old school" way is time consuming..

If you want a war, you've got PM's..

and @jed_tb.. this can really be a pain in the a$$.. but weird the reg file doesn't work for you.. First I would check if it even works in WIN7..

18. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    I can confirm it working in Win 7 x64 and x86

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i got it working manually, and with the reg file in Win7 x64.

20. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Pill Monster, you're getting a warning to stop this kind of behavior.

magicdave26, you clearly crossed a line with your posts. You're getting an infraction for insulting another user.