Win2003 Server Enterprise & Standard

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Retroborg, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Retroborg

Retroborg Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1070 8GB
    Hello.
    What’s the difference between Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition and Standard edition?
    Which one should I install?
    Will they be able to run at a dissent speed on a Pentium II 400MHZ and 576MB RAM?
    Will I be able to play network games like C & C, Dune 2000, on my 2 PC home Lan, if I install them on Win2003 Server?

Do emulators work on Win2003 Server?

Thanks in advance.

2. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

I'd recomend staying with xp.

3. Mohsin Ali

Mohsin Ali Member Guru

GPU:
    GeforceFX 5950 Ultra
    There's a lot of difference between them. The only thing to note here is that the standard edition comes with limited options whereas Enterprise edition comes loaded with everything. So its basically the difference in features available in different editions of windows-server 2003.

4. Mohsin Ali

Mohsin Ali Member Guru

GPU:
    GeforceFX 5950 Ultra

5. Retroborg

Retroborg Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1070 8GB
    Well I want to get familiar with win2003 server and its services, since they ask for it in some jobs.
    But I also want to setup a home network with a domain that consists of 2 PCs. 1 Server and 1 WinXp. I want to play some network games like Dune2000 & C & C Red Alert 2.

That's why I wanted to know the differences between Standard & Enterprise edition.
    According to this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsser...reeditions.mspx
    They're quite a few.

But I'm not sure if I'll need all the extras that enterprise edition has compared to Standard.

According to Microsoft's website, here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsser...qs/default.mspx
    I have more than the recommended minimum amount of RAM, but my CPU is below the recommended speed for both the Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition.

hhmm...

Thanks for the link.

6. Mohsin Ali

Mohsin Ali Member Guru

GPU:
    GeforceFX 5950 Ultra
    I you are just going to play games like dune2000 or redalert2 then why don't you install some older o/s like win98, because your system will run better on win98 and in that way you can also enjoy networking.
    And if you have two pcs with different version of windows, then you will have to install home-networking setup on the pc with lower-version-of-windows through the cd of the higher-version-of-window, so that both pcs are updated to the same level in networking.

7. Retroborg

Retroborg Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1070 8GB
    But I want to get familiar with win2003 server.
    I want to create a network with a domain. One PC will have WinXp and the other will be the server.

"then you will have to install home-networking setup on the pc with lower-version-of-windows through the cd of the higher-version-of-window, so that both pcs are updated to the same level in networking."

How do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

8. Mohsin Ali

Mohsin Ali Member Guru

GPU:
    GeforceFX 5950 Ultra
    Well, when you will setup the homenetwork then in the wizard(For homenetwrling) you can easily get help, and step by step information. Just click on help there. :)