Win10 2004: WDDM 2.7 Support

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 26, 2020.

1. atimaniac

atimaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI EVOKE RX 5700 X
    Jackalito, JonasBeckman and TUMIK like this.
  2. biosdweller

biosdweller Member

GPU:
    Rx 580 8gb
    Yes, i am sorry. What is your explanation?

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    toyo, Alessio1989 and Krteq like this.
  4. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Jackalito, JoshJM and MerolaC like this.

5. Max

Max Member

GPU:
    R9 390X
    I really hope that annoying screen flickers/ black screen issues will gone with wddm 2.7

6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    that has nothing to do with WDDM.
    That page is half garbage.. As far I remember GCN1 support more then HLSL 5.1 (I should have a R9 280 somewhere).. Also, AMD support on SM 6.4 shouldn't start only with Vega
    What????

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Jackalito and Krteq like this.
  7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Guessing that's about DirectX 12 and the upcoming 12_2 or "Ultimate" specifically which is apparently it's brand name now or something.
    Mesh shaders and all the fun stuff in 6.5 might be hardware but I think existing GPU's that fulfill D3D112 feature level 12_0 and 12_1 partially or well I suppose neither AMD nor NVIDIA has full 100% coverage of that but it's probably not super important anyway well those should do the 6.0 and updates.

Not that I can say much on the subject, haven't kept up to date with WDDM, DWM, DXGI or D3D and it's other components between major OS updates for Windows 10 much if at all but the MSDN documentation and other sources cover most of it nicely though I don't know if the full details of these latest changes are published yet or not besides the overview of what "Ultimate" is about for the latest D3D12 changes specifically.

EDIT: Will be fun to see what these new changes could lead to but it's going to take a while for anything to be coded entirely towards that, Microsoft might have some directives for XBox I can never remember it's name but since they're also aiming for backwards compatibility I suppose we shall see.

Not that it matters much on PC anyway, you don't directly transition over that API to PC and targeting Windows 10 20H1 and later only would be a problem in terms of PC and market coverage so low-level API usage wise I see Vulkan as a bigger possible choice at least until Windows 7 and Windows 8 are less of a factor which is again going to take years.

Suppose the feature levels would also be backwards compatibility as would all these tiers and features supported if developers use them for this but DirectX 11 isn't going anywhere either and might be the standard for quite some time if not just co-existing as the high-level API besides D3D12 for low-level or Vulkan. :)
    (Not every game or game engine will be low-level API supportive either even some years into Vulkan and DirectX 12's lifetime now and support and implementation will still vary.)

EDIT: Though the new console generation should at least push towards more common usage of these API's at least and newer features and such in general.

8. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Running the DX12 feature checker tool from the Beyond3d forum, on Windows 10 1909, showed the R6 in my old A10 8700p (3rd gen GCN it seems) laptop as supporting SM 6.4. Nvidia Kepler is also reported as supporting SM 6.4.

And last driver for Fermi is WDDM 2.3 but reports SM 5.1 IIRC.

9. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Yep... on Windows 10 version 2004 (build 19619.1000 rs_prerelease) x64 with 27.20.1002.34 from driver store it shows this for my Vega 56

Code:
    HighestShaderModel : D3D12_SHADER_MODEL_6_5 (0x0065)

Jackalito and JonasBeckman like this.
  10. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 5700 XT TUF
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Jackalito and Krteq like this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Then the tool is wrong, SM6 is only available to Feature Level 12 DX12 devices.

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jackalito and DmitryKo like this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

So the wiki is either listing required devices or just wrong outright.
    Not sure on the best way to go about correcting it.

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That wiki is wrong. According to Microsoft, SM 6.0 intrinsics functions are a requirement for FL 12.0, it is not stated they are an exclusive of FL 12.0+ devices: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...lsl-shader-model-6-0-features-for-direct3d-12

Moreover, most of SM 6.0 and beyond new features are also not required to be supported or implemented by the hardware/driver to support a new specific shader model. In those case the feature data cap-bits have to be checked at runtime. https://github.com/microsoft/DirectXShaderCompiler/wiki/Shader-Model

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Jackalito likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i've edited the wiki as such, look better?

Alessio1989 likes this.

16. biosdweller

biosdweller Member

GPU:
    Rx 580 8gb
    Good edit on the wiki page boys, i guess this shader model thing is convoluted. What i meant by hardware level is that for instance in aida64 you will have this value: Unified Shaders 2304 (v5.1) that's in an rx 580. can anyone explain what it means? 5.1 i guess refers to the SM version

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    use gpu-z to identify the shader model, Aida64 only lists the original hardware support iirc.

18. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 5700 XT TUF
    This is correct. In fact DXIL compiler does not support lower shader models, and the runtime upconverts SM5.x shaders and FXC bytecode before sending them through the WDDM 2.1 DDI.

True. Looks like a few language instrinsics for higher shader models are unconditional, but most are tied to other optional features like raytracing, variable shading, etc.

No. Feature levels encompass a required minimum set of certain capabilities (and SM6 is required for level 12_0 since WDDM 2.1), but nothing prevents you from using individual capabilities supported by the driver.

dxcapsviewer does list 5.1 on feature levels 11_0 and 11_1, but this is not correct. Feature level is not a set of restrictions, it's just a convenient collection of capabilities to query in a single step.

Here's Microsoft SM6 WaveIntrinsics sample - note minimum feature level 11_0 in CreateDevice() and shader model 6_0 in CheckFeatureSupport().

It does nothing more than query the driver / runtime for device caps.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Krteq likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yep, already been corrected on that, the MSFT documentation is not clear on the matter (infact lacking descriptions between 6.1 and 6.3 too) and discussions in the discord no clearer.

20. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro W5500
    New Enterprise drivers comes out on the 13th, i wonder if its going to have WDDM 2.7. I use workstation gpus, so just wondering.
    20.Q2 Release Date 5/13/2020