1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win 10 home 1809 build and metered connection???

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by tsunami231, Sep 10, 2019.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I really dont know why this is not work, but on 1803 on this same computer Meter connection worked fine, it stop all download from happen, it gave notification about updates and when I went into WU there were Updates there ASKING me to download then.

Soon as I update this pc to 1809 (clean install) Meter connection stoped working. It now pretty much stoped checking for updates daily like it did in 1803, and and it does actual checked which some times it goes weeks with out checking it will just automatic download install the updates.

I asked around and people on same build say metered connection is working fine for them on home. I have tried every peice work around and nothing works, I even tried this https://www.tenforums.com/windows-u...pdates-properly-completely-3.html#post1330631

2. epguy19

epguy19 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Xpress 200 - 128Mb
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I use metered connection since its introduction and not a single update was installed automatically.
    It can be that the longer you ignore published updates the higher probability of critical update to be downloaded and installed. I only postponed my manual updates (big cumulative updates) for a week or two, but between those (several months) - not a single installed one.

@tsunami231 What edition of Windows - home, professional? I use home edition. Can it be that some not home editions have some policies changing the metered connection behaviour?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this on on my uncles home which like said is on 1809 metered, does not stop ANY update being downloaded as since I put 1809 on this pc metered connections all just auto download and install. This same pc when on 1803 which was set to metered all updates were left "pending" download and need to be accepted before downloaded.

uncle has another pc on windows 10 home that I set metered on and metered is actual notifying about updates are pending un like the other pc that it just auto downloads on. same build 1809 home why is it working on one pc and not on the other. he has 2 pc's with home and 1 with pro atm only one of home pc meter is working proper.

And I not talking about old publications of updates I talking about patch Tuesday patches they they getting forced with few days of release on the pc with metered enabled.

Unless there some issue where meter dont work or get confused when there wifi card and Ethernet in the system but this system has them all set to metered and no download on metered connection is not checked . the other pc is just Ethernet

that the topic i referring too there might been another one too about meter acting same for other where 1 pc it works other it just auto downloads. This behavior makes no sense to me unless it just another case of windows 10 "wierdness" that randomly happens.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Have you tried to disable one of the network interfaces for the sake of test?

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Testing things still but current it set to metered with WiFi turned off and just Ethernet on, Next thing I will try if it still download things is to disable wifi adapter.

I have already reset wu to default settings countless times rebooted after each change to metered and not metered and all the other setting I can think of but so far all metered is doing on this pc is STOP the daily WU checks and when does check and find updates it just downloads and installs it.

all i know is none of this makes sense to me 1803 on this pc when it was set to metered WU had it daily checks and pretty much notified of updates that needed to downloaded. 1809 same pc metered pretty much stops daily WU checks but still auto downloads any update it finds when it checks. The other PC on home 1809 meter is working like it did in 1803 for both those pc's

I already reinstall win10 on effect system twice i wont do it again. I more inclined to let uncles pc have updates download and installed if I cant get metered to work like it should be.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Never solved this problem, upgrading to pro did though, feel free to close topic

8. epguy19

epguy19 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Xpress 200 - 128Mb
    which is what you should have done in the 1st place rather than stick with the weak home/core edition of Win10 :mad:

what took you so long?

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    u
    uncle didnt want to pay for upgrade key and I wasnt gona pay it for him seeing he still owes me $1000+ or another pc build. his own pc's auto updating and install things and breaking wasnt reason enough for him, probably case I was the one that was fixing the issue for him.