Win 10 creator fall update massive gains?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by zero_cool, Oct 19, 2017.

1. zero_cool

zero_cool Guest

GPU:
    Two amd fury X

@hh will you do a review of this

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I still don't understand how we keep magically get better performance. So was it just bad and unoptimized from the beginning?

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The same way any program/game/software/etc. gets better from being worked on, optimized, and etc.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Wonder how this numbers compared to Win7

5. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    I´ll take this with a grain of salt. I´ll believe when alot of testing has been done.

Too many variables...
    Is it only for new tech, just for new games, what resolution, etc...

Since it says, "+20%", i assume it applies on 4k gaming. ;)

alanm likes this.
  6. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    On my laptop with a 940M World of tanks went from 100% to 41% utilization and steady 50fps nowwith fall creator, some trickery is happening here indeed :D

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Another test shows no improvement.

More tests need to be done by others to get clearer view. Did MS mention anything on this? One would think it would be a major thing to shout out to the world, and worthy of several articles by now. One youtubers findings isnt enough.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Has anyone else experienced broken GPU scaling in 2D games since this update?

First of all none of my Steam games would work, they would crash on start-up, until I re-installed them all (wtf?).

My GPU scaling in the only 2D game I currently have installed (BlazBlue Centralfiction) is completely broken. My monitor scaling is completely hideous so I use GPU scaling instead (yes I know that introduces some input lag, but the monitor itself probably adds some when scaling too). Changing monitor scaling to GPU scaling since the update (which broke my drivers to begin with and I had to re-install) causes:

1 - Broken aspect ratio scaling for most settings except 720p, 1080p, and native 1440p. Everything else will be the wrong ratio, including other 16:9 settings like 2160p. The only way to get the sprites looking okay is forced (through Inspector) FXAA (its own implementation sucks) and using 720p which uses the native sprite size so 720p would be fine with me and I'd just use that but after a restart...

2 - Scaling is completely broken in this game and just doesn't work, it doesn't appear to be using either monitor scaling or GPU scaling properly. It's just stuck at its lowest res and won't won't use either the monitor or GPU scaling settings so even the aspect ratio is broken and the screen is squished. The only way to fix it is to set scaling to monitor scaling, and restart. The process can be repeated from there.

I have no idea if this is a game specific problem or if this Windows update really broke something. It sure as frack broke all my start-up items and programs like DS4Windows won't auto-start anymore no matter what I try.

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    M$ giveth and M$ taketh away.

Sorry...

lucidus likes this.
  10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    try...right click, Compatibility, High DPI scaling and Full screen optimizations

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I haven't noticed any difference really.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Could be Amd specific, I benchmarked a little yesterday and no perf. boosts..

BUT I saw all my games now run smoother, as if there is better latency somewhere in pipeline.
    Whole image looks smoother and smoother mouse movements. That's good enough for me.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  13. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    That in it's self would be a good thing.

14. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    Something is definitely going on. My GPU usage is lower and its smoother. I also seem to get a bit more fps in GPU bound areas in my games.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Already tried those. Thanks anyway.

From what I've heard so far; most the improvements seem to be for AMD cards. Something about this update seems to play nicer with AMD drivers, or so it seems. I've gotten precisely 0% improvement in anything I've tried so far, and that includes frame times. Everything feels roughly the same, aside from the tons of new bugs I now get with this shitty update.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They said they had fixed some issues introduced in RS2 so there should be some improvement between the versions. I had RS1 and RS3 installed together and played Cod WW2 beta and MK XL a lot, there was no difference between the versions. RS3 had some driver issues but that's to be expected. Could be an AMD thing with new drivers for RS3.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    0 bugs here, but hey i know, it's the cool thing to do. Complain about microsoft updating. Complain about microsoft not updating. Complain about microsoft. It's the triple cool thing to do.

18. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    mouse input lag better on Fall update, tested evil within 2 more smoother and no drop FPS in some certain areas

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    How dare I mention that it broke my drivers and has been causing random freezes and crashes when previously I had none. Let me just stay silent and never mention anything of the sort on a TECH FORUM.

You're in the wrong place if you don't want to hear about the problems products have.

lucidus likes this.
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Seems like most folks are not seeing the massive gains Joker reported. Hardware Unboxed tried to replicate his findings, but nothing worthwhile to report. GamerNexus hasnt found anything either. This is the second review by joker to show wildly different results than others (first Ryzen). One would think that when any test figures show out of the ordinary results, the tester would try to replicate things on a completely different system. Who knows, but I doubt that jokers specific hardware config was what produced his claimed gains. FCU may have improved perf somewhat, just not to the huge extent that he claims.