1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Zen2+, Zen3 and Zen3+ use AM4 and be work on x570?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by MegaFalloutFan, Jul 14, 2019.

1. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Guys any idea about the above?
    Im not a millionaire and need to decide x570 Godlike or x570 Hero, the Godlike is exactly 1/3 more expensive.
    If AMD keep supporting x570 chipset and use AM4 then I can go with Godlike, but if next year they will come out with ZEN2+ using different slot and ill have to buy new motherboard for new CPU then I rather save money.

Right now Godlike has enough features, VRM and everything else, that if AM4 still supported there wont be any reason to upgrade the motherboard, it hs the best Ethernet, has Wifi6, has excellent over engineered VRM that will easily run 16 or higher core CPUs, has dual bios switch, has x3 M.2 [Unlike Gigabyte all 3 are standalone and using the third one wont disable x2 SATA ports] + x2 M.2 expansion card, has 4 full sized PCIe slots and can do x8x4x4x4x, has OK amount of USB ports only 2 10Gbps thou [Hero wins here with 12 rear x8 10Gbps + x4 5Gbps], has 6 SATA [Hero wins again with 8], has x2 Realtek ALC1220 + x1 ESS E9018, has 1Gb + 2.5Gb Killer Lan controllers + 10Gb Ethernet Add-On card

Basically it has enough good features so that if next year or in two years next Godlike models wont have anything so important that ill be hyping to upgrade

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No evidence of anything called Zen2+ or Zen3+, Zen 3 is due out 2020. Zen 3, Zen 4 and Zen 5 are the only "future" architectures that have been mentioned so far.

AM4 is supposed to be used until 2020, that being said, from what has been discussed before that's up in the air in regards to if Zen3 will support AM4. AMD would not be lying to us that AM4 was supported until 2020 even if Zen3 is on AM5 (DDR5 is supposed to be released this year, which would be the reason AMD would not use AM4 again) as Zen 2 APUs will be released in 2020.

But what has generally been stated is this:

• They could have Zen 3 on AM4, and not immediately go to DDR5 for AM5. This is supported by the idea that AMD doesn't want to make a fairly expensive system requiring new motherboards and possibly ram that'll be very expensive.

• They could have Zen 3 on AM4 and AM5, this is supported by AMDs history of having CPU generations on different sockets for different DDR ram, such as with AM2+ and AM3, with Phenom II.

• They could have Zen 3 on AM5 only. This is supported by the idea that AMD is trying to be at the front of the game and not spend additional money and force even more larger BIOS' on motherboard manufacturers....we're already getting motherboards shaving off features to support Zen 2, i can only imagine what would happen with Zen 3 on AM4 as well.

Which one it'll be? Anyones guess, but pretty much guaranteed by 2021, we won't have AM4 CPUs (unless they are Zen 3 based APUs) being released guaranteed. Which means at best, Zen 3 potentially will, but nothing further. And at worst, Zen 2 will be the last CPU architecture on AM4.

3. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    So next thing will be ZEN3 and its stated for 2020 release?

hmm so i might be able to use ZEN3 or i might not LOL thats 50/50
    On the otehr hand, whats the supposed ZEN3 improvements? I want 3950x, so if they stay with 16 core max, then in best case it might be tad higher clocks and overall +5 - 10% improvement

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The only thing that is known, to my knowledge, is the naming Zen 3, and the date 2020, and that it'll be on 7nm+, other then that i'm not sure if there's any actual information. For all anyone knows right now, Zen 3 could be more of a Zen+ improvement then a Zen/+ to Zen 2 improvement.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/microarchitectures/zen_3

[​IMG]

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    A bit hard to foresee what it will be used in the next years.
    For a few years down the road an X570 platform paired with a good 8c/26t CPU and 16 GB RAM could serve very well for gaming and production.
    Until then, the software will have to catch-up and use all cores/threads.
    Consider yourself lucky if you can use a computer 5-6 years now.
    In the future, who knows...
    Buy what you can get now, eventually upgrades later on and that's what you can do.
    That's why I want to buy into AMD platform, they offer more future proofing (if we can say so nowadays) than Intel's platform.

6. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    There is chance next AMD CPU will use different socket and if we look at previous motherboards, no one took AMD serious, so there are no quality motherboards filled with features like for Intel or x570, they all in sub 200USD category [with one or two models maybe exception]
    Also lets not forget that AMD did a huge Image killing mistake by letting a garbage company like ASSmedia to design and make their Ryzen pre-x570 chipsets.
    Personally I hope AMD keep doing chipsets like they did with x570, if next chipset will be ASSmedia i might be forced go back to Intel, I will not pay a cent for something so important as motherboard Chipset that wasn't made by parent company or at least quality OEM.
    So in reality there was no future proofing, if you got x370 and hoped to upgrade to zen2 its basically impossible, only some motherboards supported even x470 some boards have bad VRM and in any case you'll be missing USB 3.1 Gen2 [10Gbps] which x570 platform has 12 of, PCIe Gen4 and quality manufacturing like it is now.
    And if you get x570 then there is a chance next Zen will use different socket.

Im 90% decided to go with Hero WiFi, its always out of stock on newegg but I have time till September i want 16c/32t CPU, otherwise why upgrade from 9900K.
    BUT I have a dilemma, right now my 9900K still has tons of value, Intel keeping its price and tons of people still love Intel and will NEVER move to AMD no matter what happens, but who knows whats going to happen in September?
    Im thinking of maybe getting 3900x now and Mobo, assemble my Pc, sell my 9900k and mobo while prices high and in September get 3950x and sell 3900x or maybe grab a mobo and cheap CPU like 3600 for 200$ so lower chance of losing lots of money and sell it in September when 3900x comes out?
    What would you do?

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    I would sell something while has value, and buy something cheaper who does 99% as the previous item.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Zen3 unlikely due to release schedule.
    If there is Zen2+ than that is going to land on AM4.

Now for Zen3 unlikeliness. AMD uses I/O die, that enables CPU to get IMC based on I/O die used. (And it would not be 1st time when AMD enabled new CPUs on both new socket and old one either.)

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI have all produced x570 mboards from $350 US on up (I just bought one)--every bit the equal of their Intel counterparts--except they support PCIe4.x while no Intel board does. Everybody took AMD seriously, don't kid yourself...;) AT Ryzen 3k launch in June, more that 50 motherboard models were announced from the traditional OEMs. Also, last I looked, there are a lot of "junk" Intel mboards in circulation--don't forget. Plenty of sub-$200 mboards available for Intel last I looked. AMD, usually, provides more bang for the buck, as well. IE, your money goes farther with AMD, imo.

Never had a single problem with either the x370 or x470 chipset in the two respective Ryzen-supporting mboards I owned before getting this one last week:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#kf

AMD designed the chipsets and supplied the drivers--you could not get x370 or x470 drivers From Asmedia--only direct from AMD. The only Asmedia devices on any AMD product I've seen, requiring drivers from Asmedia, were Asmedia chips AMD used for adding some extra USB ports. (There are no Asmedia-driver chips at all on my Aorus Master.)

Gee, I hope you never punish yourself by going back to Intel. But I guess you think all that Windows microcode patching & and all those bios patches needed for Intel cpus these days are "quality"?

Well, what products are "future-proof"? Certainly not Intel PCi3.x mboards with bios patches & Windows microcode mitigation patches. No product is future proof, nor will it ever be. BTW, if you hadn't noticed, Intel changes sockets like most of us change our socks. AMD has always been a better socket-longevity bet than Intel, IIRC.

Sounds like you want to keep what you have! So, keep it! I bought the 3600x, but I'll probably move to a larger cpu next year, maybe. Still collating...

10. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Serious case of reading comprehension fail in the first part
    Also ASSmedia dont need to distribute the drivers, amd does, but the chipset was designed by them and made by them, also every news site said that assmedia already works on PCIe gen4 based chipset and expect orders from amd.
    Even after "microcode and windows updates" 9900K still wins in high fps gaming. [Security is something you can never be fully prepared for, today its Intel, next month they find something in AMD and take down 50% performance]
    My upgrade path is only to 3950x.