Will Windows 7 truly be good for PC games ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    My benchmarks show 20-30% slower then XP, but 1-5% faster then vista.

I'd stick with 98 still... If it supported my hardware lol.

w7 is a step in the right direction. But XP will continue to be the gaming king for a few years yet.

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I didn't even think there was that big a difference between Vista and XP anymore. Care to show your results and procedure?

Anyone else know of any recent tests of this?

3. jumjumski

jumjumski Member Guru

GPU:
    mobility 4570
    u are saying that vista is 21-35% slower than xp?show us your benchmarks and prove it or go home..

4. EddieG

EddieG Master Guru

GPU:
    A few
    As for my experiance, I've only used XP and I like the quick start-up time. What a difference. And gaming has been as good(fps, stability).
    So I still have my 200 bucks to spend on a new OS.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I think people that are expecting huge increases in game performance from an OS will always be disappointed. There isn't much an OS does besides allocate memory and hardware level communication. On low memory systems maybe Vista cannot allocate as much memory to a game, but a game with 1.8gb on XP should perform exactly the same on Vista. It's not like there is a better or faster way of allocating it. And as far as hardware level communication is concerned, that all comes down to driver implementation of WDDM, the specification itself and DX.

You'll never see a new Windows OS provide a gigantic leap forward in performance of graphics. Maybe a new version of DX or WDDM spec will - but then we should be comparing those, not 98 to 95 to dos.

6. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Alreayd testing it on a system I just not stating it :) But of course the results are not convincing me...so far

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  7. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I call absolute BS on this statement.

Probably benched it on Crysis, like everyone does, and compared DX9 high to DX10 very high. This is the only situation in which the performance decrease you describe is possible.