Will Windows 7 really run for 30 days with no CD Key?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mystiky, Oct 10, 2009.

1. mystiky

mystiky Active Member

I wanted to know that if I was to "find" and install the "RTM" code for Windows 7 Ultimate right now without providing the CD KEY, can I then buy the software (after the official October 22 release) and then just add the CD KEY, activate it and continue to use the program without any re-installs?

If yes, will the copy that I am running (without the CD-KEY and UNactivated) be totally useful (no crippleware) for the first 30 days? I do realize that I will probably get some nagging reminders to "activate" my copy of Windows 7, but otherwise, will it be a FULLYy functioning version for the 30 days after installation.

Please advise

2. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
  3. mystiky

mystiky Active Member

thanks for letting me know...

By the way, anyone know about the MSDN RTM release of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 done in early August (Windows 7 English x64 MSDN TechNet)

Is that the "final" Retail or OEM code?

I don't want to install an OEM version of the code and then try enterting a retail code after I purchase the product. Or it won't matter?

4. Im2bad

Im2bad Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I think it doesn't matter, as I believe the only difference with OEM and retail is that you can use the same retail key on more than one computer. I might be wrong though, as I've never had a retail version, only OEM.

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    The images on MSDN and Technet are final Retail, not OEM that I've noticed. If the installation is Retail the product code (in the system tab) will read xxxxx-xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxx and OEM will ALWAYS read xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    There is no such thing as retail code and OEM code. The only things that determine whether it is OEM or retail is the key used, and one little cfg (which also determines what version it is) file on the install disk.

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI

What I mean't was the images were final retail, and not OEM. I know that it is determined by the key and config file.

8. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Ah, OK. Just checking as there are too many out there that seem to think there is a difference between OEM and retail.