Will we be able to use Boost + FSR??

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    As the title suggest I wonder if we will be able to use Radeon Boost along with FSR?

A2Razor likes this.
  2. Streuwinkel

Streuwinkel Guest

GPU:
    Pulse RX Vega 56
    You mean for native resolution gaming, if FSR can handle the upscaling of the low res Radeon Boost images automatically to improve definition?

3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    not how this works you'd get resolution drop on top of another resolution drop

itpro and Kuss like this.
  4. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    No clue / doubt it since this would be an AMD specific use-case of FSR. Yet this is a fantastic idea for dynamic resolution scaling under the native-res with a minimized visual impact, I'd certainly hope that uses like this are being considered.

Perhaps Boost can be standardized, integrated into FSR, and given away as an open technology along with it.

Exactly what it sounds like to me.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021

5. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Are you blind? Do you really demand to play at 144p resolution? REALLY? You must have a happy occupation that does not demand an accurate eyesight.

6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Lol your jimmies are russelled. Since I don't see the difference while in motion it doesn't matter to me thus the question.

The performance improvement is what I am looking at. :cool:

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Radeon boost only supports few games and looks terrible. We should just forget it exists and look forward to fsr.

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    How about No!
    If it bothers you that much just don't use it. But don't try to dictate to me what I should and shouldn't use. I will use what I want if it's available.

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No one dictates you to do anything im just stating the obvious.

cucaulay malkin and Agonist like this.
  10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Since using boosting I've noticed no difference in iq. But how could you since everything is in motion. But the latency improvements is the best thing about it.

The obvious is for you not to use it LOL
    I am not your subconscious trying to get you to do something against your will.
    ;)

11. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Does Radeon Boost improve latency too? I saw that you can't use anti lag and that together, so maybe this explains why, but it's still interesting and never read about that. Plus, Anti Lag seems to be doing the opposite, bringing more latency for games like csgo (still idk why, but some explained it pretty interestingly)

12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It definitely helps my run and gun gameplay in Modern War. And I don't notice any image quality differences. As long as Radeon boost supports the game.

I understand why you cannot enable both.

13. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    lol you can see a lot in motion dude,
    unless your display is a smearing piece of crap and you're playing at 30 fps you should definitely pick up most detail on an average display running casual framerates.
    irionically,you'll be noticing resolution drop in motion more and more as the fps goes up,which is the reason you wanna enable both at the same time.

fsr won't make image that's been downscaled clearer,it will drop image quality even further if the input is lower than native.the lower the input resolution,the harder it is for an upscaler to produce a high quality image.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I think you're correct. It just doesn't work as this review states:

15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This is the most ridiculous reply ive seen.
    Of course you aren't looking for the details of an image while in motion. Therefore, if it helps with my latency it's a bonus to use.

You sound more disgruntled that AMD is releasing FSR that may/could include boost then you are about anything else. The idea that FSR's competitor are slower and buggy in warzone. Still show blur ghosting, shimmering, etc. FSR will do just fine. Special when it doesn't require a specific gpu to use.
    :p

I hope I can use boost with FSR. More fun for me while I bask against haters having a conniption about it.
    :cool:

16. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    I see, so you wanted to just stack the two together FSR-first {the other way around}, rather than tie in FSR as a final post-processing step before presentation.. That keeps the two conceptually-separate and is thus likely easier, yet I don't personally think it makes as much sense. The way I presumed you wanted it done (as a visual quality improvement) might have posed some design issues in that FSR is intended to be open and available across all hardware. -- One of its key selling points being pitched to push fast adoption.

That said, have noticed massive differences in visual quality (for the worse) with Boost enabled ... yet bear in mind I'm currently on a 240hz display and use strobing / lightboost for motion clarity. You'd be surprised how much you can see while in motion on a high end display with extremely low blur {almost as much as standing stationary in a game}. I like the idea of making a slight tradeoff for performance while in motion for raytracing aware titles, without giving up stationary clarity, yet I also wouldn't touch Boost in its current form.

17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Boost is something that you enable from the drivers based on supported games.
    FSR, I'm not sure but I don't think we enable in the drivers. I assume it will be like FidelityFX where you enable it from the game only. Like Gears 5.

As for using boost one shouldn't see a difference during normal use. However, enabling strobing, lightboost , aim stablizer, etc. I assume you are referring to that monitor feature to reduce motion blur. Is something I don't use. Not only does it not work well, for me, in FPS games it only serves to give me a headache. With it on it didn't give me any visual improvement.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  18. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Same assumption I'm going on, and why I'm not expecting to see a tie-in or connection between driver enabled features and software specific features {embedded solely within / controlled by the game engine exclusively}. Yet I may be wrong, of course. None the less I'm not counting on a game developer spending time on any extension for FSR that isn't hardware agnostic, since it's generally always about maximizing time efficiency for the market {why DLSS has such a hard time gaining traction}.

Still, I think the combination of the two as a concept is something worth pursuing {the idea to look into combining them is not bad at all, just gotta get creative about it}. It's a good idea rather than an on / off switch for FSR, when FSR may not be needed and rendering at native res is pulling great framerates in some scene.

Yep, monitor features here / blur reduction. Headache is indeed something it causes for me (the strobing at least) if used for too long a session, yet I'm willing to risk that for the motion clarity.

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I just tried again. 2 matches in MW2019 and 1 in CW. I didn't see any abnormalities using both.

As for FSR and Boost, it's still unclear if both can work together. However, there are a list of games that have boost already. Adding FSR to those games seem likely. The question remains will both work together.

We will see.

20. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    what are you talking about lol
    of course you do it's the whole reason high refresh displays and strobing mode exist,to reduce blur and smearing.if you wanna add more of it and call it a "feature" then go ahead.

it's not me who's disgruntled,it's you who's swallowing marketing like a pelican.why are you refrring to me as "disgruntled" when itpro and undying told you the same thing ? to make yourself feel better that I must be wrong since I own a green gpu?
    ridiculous that so many people think that way here.