Will Vantage ever be free like 3dmark06?

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by THE_BAIT, Aug 3, 2008.

1. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    As the topic say's...
    Seem's strange having to pay after 06 :wanker:
    I know it's their way of encouraging people to buy the product but I think only offering a one off sample suck's :banana:

2. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Possible; unlikely

Choose your answer, it would be speculation anyway

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    yeah, i ran it once, cant remember my score who cares, its only a simple benchmarking tool, theres no way id pay for it( i would if i was building gaming PCs and flogging them ), but not for testing every six months when i change a bit of hardware, besides 06 is good enough

4. Schrup

Schrup New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    I got it free with my EVGA GTX260, I haven't loaded 06 yet. I wouldn't pay for it though.

5. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    Yeah I really believe futuremark are shooting themselves in the foot, look how many people tested their hardware with 01, 03, 05, 06 for free and then purchased the pro version for the extra tests and options!

People will always be loyal to the company that gives freebies away by purchasing a pro version knowing it helps the company and gives the purchaser a feeling they have a better product than the freeware version!

But denying the home user of the freeware will only reduce the sale in the long run...ie look at all the antivirus makers who still have freeware, they have better sales of their full product from commercial and home user in the end!

/end rant :puke2:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  6. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    just put the money towards a good game.

7. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    It sounds pretty weird that you need to buy a benchmark. But greed knows no limits. It seems though that Vantage is shipped with quite many cards thesedays. Like with Sapphire HD 4850 Toxic, you will get full, licensed version of Vantage.

But still, in order to run Vantage you need a Vista...

8. WinMacLin

WinMacLin Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I used 05 and 06 quite extensively. It was kind of sad to see Vantage become so crippled for people that just want to run it a few times.

But then they modified 06 with a patch which meant to get your score you had to take your PC online and sign up and login and the results were crippled aswell.. unless you paid. Their management obviously didn't think giving away their benchmark for free was a good business decision and I can respect them for that but I won't pay for Benchmark software. Software that I'm going to run once a year if that.

And lets be honest with ourselves Futuremarks benchmarks weren't really that great anyway. Originally they were supposed to give you an indication of the performance of a card in comparison to another card which you were supposed to be able to translate in to gaming performance. Example: if Card A scored 1000 points more then Card B, then that card was more likely to play games better.

But as the benchmark versions wore on and the Hardware Manufacturers worked out that people were using these benchmark scores as part of their overall buying decisions they started to optimise their drivers to target the benchmark specifically. And in some cases lower quality settings or even not render parts of a scene entirely to artificially boost scores.

When that happened these benchmarks became nothing more then a way to compare performance gains from a non-OC'd card to that same card once overclocked. 'Dude I got another 1000 points by raising my core 100MHz!' Anyone whose used 05 or 06 has probably heard comments like those, or made them yourself. When was the last time you saw someone go 'well this card scores higher in 3DMARK06 so it must play Call of Duty 4 better!'.

Futurmark know this and they know that they need to get people buying it before its become completely irrelevant, even now I see some gaming sites that don't even show Futurmark scores in their reviews of new Graphics cards, because really who cares about some incomparable numbers?

9. jackbrennan2008

jackbrennan2008 Member

GPU:
    2x ATI 4870
    It will be free after a while im pretty sure, when ever they bring out vantage 09 lol

10. XeoNoX

XeoNoX Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 550 Ti
    hey every company has to make money, atleast they offer a free one!

11. Joshua

Joshua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX260 Core 216
    Personally, I think Futuremark went about Vantage the right way, as the sheer amount of free use was taken advantaged of. :) I do however concede that it should have been like a 7 day full trial, or something along those lines.

12. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    If communists and/or the pirate bay have it their way.
    Yes :p