Will TXAA be ported to other GPUs?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by consume, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    MrBonk, i can see the blurring on the Syndicate FXAA image, course it looks better blurred, but thats beside the point.

2. watermark0n

watermark0n New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Gefore 260m 1gb
    The version of FXAA in the drivers, and essentially all games, is FXAA 3.11. Work on FXAA has ceased, so there aren't going to be any further improvements. And there are problems with FXAA's approach (looking at the 2D image directly without having any knowledge of the underlying polygons and 3D structures) that leave it, for instance, unable to deal with temporal aliasing (you often get horrible shimmering with FXAA alone) and, yes, can lead to blurring. SMAA does not blur quite as much, but still does blur.

3. watermark0n

watermark0n New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Gefore 260m 1gb
    That said, FXAA is usually better than nothing.

4. draegunstrife

draegunstrife Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    http://timothylottes.blog_spot.com/search?q=fxaa

Take out the underscore

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If anything I actually find that the FXAA blur improves the image quality. Pause a film and see what a still frame looks like. It's blurry as hell, yet in motion the film looks great. Sharpened images look way to harsh imo.

7. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    i'd say FXAA is better than MSAA, but that's just me...

injection methods can blur a little, but considering they're run at the very end of the rendering chain that's to be expected really, hence text issues and sharpen options. When coded in-engine though i reckon it beats the pants of MSAA - again, just my opinion.

20/10 vision, in case anyone's wondering. And lets face it, this is an entirely subjective topic, so statements like True or False are entirely redundant.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Second that as I've had the blurring issue with some games but not others, whether using injectors or Nvidia's own FXAA or built in to the engine.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Its all about personal preference,some people prefer fxaa some prefer msaa some prefer ssaa,dont really matter what you use as long as your happy with what your viewing,i use msaa or ssaa.

10. johnmambo

johnmambo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX980
    TXAA should come to the 400/500 series. Its just obvious that they will release only for 600 series at first. We just have to wait a little. :banana:

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Perhaps it's time to check for some Glasses then.

FXAA does Blur, but in games such as Skyrim it isn't really noticeable.

If you apply FXAA thru the Control Panal on a Game which doesn't officialy supports it thru it's own engine it also blurs the UI/HUD.

It's mostly likely more noticeable on screens with a 1680 x 1050 Resolution at 22 Inch.

12. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  13. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    It has nothing to do with me liking or not liking FXAA. It's not just textures it blurs, but the whole image and text right along with it. Standard AA is still better....it's just the truth.

FXAA is faster, thus why on lower end cards it's the better choice. But if you have current mid-high end hardware, there is no reason to use FXAA, just use the standard...it still puts out a sharper image. The only case where FXAA does not blur the image, is if the game is programmed to take specific advantage of it, and not forced through the control panel.

If you personally don't mind a blurry mess, then more power to you.

I like FXAA for what it is, not what someone dreams of it doing.

The fact that FXAA is a great choice on low end hardware to have a form of AA fast enough to not eat the card alive, that's why I like FXAA.

FXAA can be the future of AA once it gets it's quality in check.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  14. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Good said either you use it as a addition or if the normal AA is completely to slow as a replacement same for any other PP AA :)
    Also Screenshots alone are never good to show the real problems of AA in Motion where the big culprit is located, that TXAA or SMAAT2 try to cover.
    And trying to show this in Motion on Youtube is another problem ;)

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Hence why it can be BETTER than MSAA. Because it affects things that MSAA cannot.

It depends on the game mostly. There is no constant. Just as MSAA works well in some games, and not in others. (like how MSAA works wonderfully in Lost Planet 1. But MSAA sucks in Lost Planet 2)

I've already shown that FXAA doesn't ALWAYS blur. Yet it irradicates nearly all aliasing. http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4356927&postcount=39

All you elitist buttholes need to get your heads out of your asses and stop whining about "X" or "Y" and instead get creative to find a solution that provides the best Image Quality at the best cost tradeoff.

Many times, that involves SMAA or FXAA. In combination with MSAA, it's a cheaper form of SGSSAA or TrAA or just flat out SSAA.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20

MSAA+SSAA is far superior to FXAA.

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm certain the point MrBonk was saying is that when dealing with FXAA it's important to take in account the cost of using other AA methods in certain games. Comparison, trade-off, ect.
    You totally missed that, even in the end we are talking about it being cheaper, not more superior, and I totally agree, in certain games FXAA does wonders. And in certain other games it's your only choice (gta).

I have a feeling that TXAA will be ripped on for being too "blurry".
    Also, what do you think the performance hit of TXAA will be, eh?

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    TXAA wont cause blur. its not a post process effect like fxaa. nvidia said txaa 4x will be similar hit of 4x MSAA and TXAA 2x will be like 2xMSAA

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    From Timothy(he's talking about TXAA) :

For those who have a problem with lack of sharpness compared to no-AA GPU rendering, and judge AA techniques by still image screen shots, I'd suggest pressing the pause button on your Blue-Ray player and take a look at one of the CG film shots in your favorite movie, and then comment on sharpness.

Anyway he was all for getting Fermi support for TXAA, but has since backtracked.
    ManuelG explicitly said some time ago that no such plans exist.

20. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    Again, no need for glasses here.
    And again, my display is a 23'' 3D LG display 1080p, and it looks sharp as a razor blade with FXAA, not so much with MSAA, which still displays the "stair effect" until I get to 8XAA or more, which then, kills framerate to half.

Efficiency is the word people. MSAA is NOT efficient.