Will TXAA be ported to other GPUs?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by consume, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    hog wash. read the white paper.

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    They are saying that TXAA is a MORE EFFICIENT form of AA which gives you the effect of 8xMSAA but the performance hit of 4xMSAA. This isn't rocket science. If it can be used on prior generations, there is no fundamental reason there should not be a similar PERCENTAGE wise increase in performance.

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    No bro, it's true.

It blurs textures, and well everything.

It's best used on lower end hardware since its a faster method of AA.

Depending on the game it's more noticeable than in others.

4. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    In the latest drivers (304.79) it doesn't. In fact, it sharpens textures a bit, and leaves almost no jaggies @1080p. AND it costs as much performance as 2x MSAA, and gives the quality of 6x or more. I tested it in Skyrim, Mass Effect 3 and other games, and now I don't use MSAA anymore. Also, I really believe MSAA is an inefficient method, since the frame-buffer workload increases exponentially as you increase the samples.

You may not like FXAA, but it's the future of Anti Aliasing.

5. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    In this case, rocket science is called MARKET SCIENCE! :)

I'm only glad nVidia gave me the FXAA option, it's good enough for me and my 1080p 23'' display!

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    no its blurs. fact.

7. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    It may blur fonts and other stuff, but it's getting better at each release. FXAA is designed to detect the limits of each polygon and remove the jaggies there. It doesn't mess with the textures, just applies where needed. Check the nvidia documents.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    It makes things blurry man. Known fact. That's why its known as the poor mans aa where as other forms of aa will cripple lower end cards

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Dude it BLURS everything. Only games designed with it does FXAA not apply to HUD or other on screen things.MSAA looks at edges and polygons. FXAA does not and affects ALL pixels on the screen.

10. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    Doesn't blur anything on my system, at least. Images are crystal clear!

I'm glad then... :banana:

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ignorance is bliss:rolleyes:

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    agreed.

13. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    True... I know you guys are trying to justify your big investment in your SLi setups using 16x MSAA...

Sorry, but I find FXAA cool, and it DOESN'T blur game graphics in my system, in fact it looks SHARPER and removes a great deal on the jaggies. :stewpid:

Calling me ignorant wasn't a polite move, but I'll ignore that.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It blurs things a little bit, if it didn't then Nvidia wouldn't be spending so much money and time pushing this (TXAA) so much, Nvidia even mentioned that FXAA caused the textures to blur in the previous driver when they added MSAA compatibility for Diablo3.

I use it nearly all the time as it tends to deal with aliasing better than MSAA does, especially with new engines, and i will only be ocd about the blur if i spend too much time comparing it to the image without it enabled.
    With it disabled i will always notice the aliasing, so FXAA is the lesser of two evils.

sapo_joe might mean FXAA makes things look sharper as sometime an detail can be lost when you have an overly aliased image.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    i recommend you seeing an optometrist

16. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    If it blurs, it's really barely noticeable and on very certain scenes. You got me right, it looks better IMO, because of the way it acts. MSAA just divides the number of jaggies, FXAA REMOVES them by intelligently detecting them, as a post processing shader.

TXAA is another evolution in the anti aliasing tech, as you can see here: http://www.geforce.com/landing-page/TXAA

TXAA combines MSAA and post-processing to remove the jaggies and shimmering on the moving images. Of course, it's an engine-level anti aliasing technique, and won't be supported by older games unless developers want to get on board.

17. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    I actually have a 10/10 sight. Maybe the problem is with yours.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    im not going to bite, youre just trying to start an argument and you obviously dont know how fxaa works. ill just leave it at that. end of conversation.

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    ORLY

Syndiacte: A game with pretty low texture quality in areas that would by ALL MEANS BLUR SO MUCH (Generally such is the case. The stigma is that low quality textures get blurred)

But look

Syndicate: No FXAA
    [​IMG]
    Syndicate: FXAA
    [​IMG]

No texture blurring at all. The only thing that gets affected is aliasing.

Using FXAA with other forms of AA like OGSSAA(Downsampling) and Injected SMAA, or MSAA+TrAA is the perfect way to get near aliasing free picture quality without the performance hit of SGSSAA.

(And in this case of Syndicate, that is with 4XMSAA+4XTrAA. And then that + FXAA)

Just look at Binary Domain w/OGSSAA+FXAA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeah it's sooo blurry! /Sarcasm

Just for the record: FSAA=Full Scene AA, basically Supersampling, processes the whole scene. SGSSAA is also a form of FSAA.

MSAA was a hack that derived out of necessity because of the performance crippling nature of FSAA back in the day. It only Anti-aliases Polygon edges and does nothing to combat shader aliasing, or alpha tested objects like sprites and other stuff.

And in Today's market of Games MSAA just doesn't cut it in a lot of games. ESPECIALLY UE3 games.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  20. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    In fact I do. But I'm too tired to explain it to you now, so go google it yourself.