Will the ATI HD6990 own the Nvidia GTX590

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by blesner, Mar 14, 2011.

1. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
  2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Rumor has it that it's a low clocked card. Around 600MHz or so. However, that could change. But it depends on a few other factors. Drivers will play a role in that. I believe that the 6990 could use an improvement in scaling and since we know they have more performance drivers on the way what we see now from the 6990 will only get better. But will it be in time for the 22nd?

3. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    I wouldn't used the word "own" but but card should be a good buy which ever company a consumer prefers.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    600mhz is only about 470 clock speed.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    i reckon they will match the 6990 speed but that the only difference will be drivers, and thats catchup for nvidia

6. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    BTW, sorry I thought I had put this in the ATI Card section.:bang:
    Anyway, this is making my decision very hard, ATI HD6990 or Nvidia GTX590.
    The TW games are optimised on ATI cards grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

@lmimmfn

Nvidia play catch up with drivers? I though Nvidia have better and more stable drivers then ATI?!

So far ATI has my money:3eyes:

7. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    youre overthinking to much, you can clearly see that ati hd 6990 is quite an amazing card, but if u want to spare ur money i suggest you wait that nvidia releases then the price will possibly drop unless as ppl said the nvidia will actually perform worse which i dont find it very likely, nvidia has been in front of ati when it comes to performance and ati in front of nvidia when it comes to image quality.

8. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Just wait for GTX 590, it can bring some surprises, one of them is a slight slower card than HD 6990, but with a nice price tag! In other hand it can be a bit faster and cost a lot more, but in any case HD 6990 will get cheaper!

About noise levels, I believe GTX 590 will end a lot quieter than HD 6990 due to its larger fan, contrary to AMD that used the same fan found on previous cards. IMO those cards should come with a 140mm fan.

9. Amorpheus

Amorpheus Member

GPU:
    6960@928/1450
    One could also downclock/voltage the HD6990 a bit to optimise noise.

Considering that power consumption will be the deciding factor in dual-GPU video cards AMD has the upper hand here.

10. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    For professional it seems Nvidia drivers are better.

For consumer, it seems Nvidia's reputation carries it and that's it. The number of problems with Nvidia drivers are just as bad as AMD. I don't think either is better right now.

But for stability, believe a third party tester has concluded that AMD drivers are consistently more stable than Nvidia WHQL drivers. Even Microsoft has said that in their WHQL testing AMD drivers are more stable than Nvidia.

But does that mean it's better, no. But then only the most hardcore of nitpickers who spend hours comparing screenshots would notice.

11. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Even if the GTX590 is slower, driver wise nVidia surely wins.

13. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    lol why? AMD drivers are fine.

14. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    In tesselation heavy games the GTX 590 will come out the true winner. Overall I think the GTX 590 will be faster the the HD 6990, but considering the lower clock speed it might be a close call.

15. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    I love the 6990. I'm truly shocked at the performance after switching from 5870 crossfire setup. I knew it would be faster, but I wasn't sure if would notice during standard usage.

Now... if the 590 is a less noisy, that would be a plus for nvidia.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The majority of "driver issues" are caused by the user. Aside from minor graphics corruption, stuttering and the occassional unstable FPS, I've never had a major problem with any driver.

17. syncore

syncore Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
    I'm going from a 5970 to the 590. I've always been with nVidia, except for this past 8 month "experiment" that I've done with ATI. ATI's drivers are inferior to nVidia's, always have been, and probably will continue to be so for the foreseeable future even with all this "Mjölnir" stuff we keep hearing about. For me, the decision is easy. Also, waiting ages for CAPs all the time is kinda ridiculous

18. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    I dont really care for ATI or Nvidia, im a price/performance guy, my point on the drivers is ATI's scalability with dual 69X0 cards is better than Nvidias with the 570s or 580s( i.e. loss of performance in comparision ) and i think Nvidia need to up their game tbh.

Its just my opinion and a guess but thats what were all doing,right? :)

19. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    I'm not sure that it's a driver issue or an issue with the game but bad company 2 is just a bucket of BSODs and crash to desktops for me. All other games play fine.

20. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I think he was trying to use satire, lol. But yea with Cat 11.4 preview and couple other drivers we should see some decent performance improvements. I can only wonder if we will see newer drivers before the end of the month.