Will the 2080 Ti be slower than the Founder's Edition versions Reviewers have been using?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by EerieEgg, Sep 20, 2018.

1. EerieEgg

EerieEgg Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi there guys,

I noticed in my reading that reviewers seem to have the Founder's Edition version of the 2080 Ti which appears to have a factory overclock from Nvidia over the standard 2080 Ti.

Does this mean the standard 2080 Ti to follow will have worse performance out of the box than the Founder's Edition cards? If so, this seems pretty sneaky on Nvidia's parts since it would mean reviewers have been showing benchmarks from overclocked versions of the 2080 Ti instead of the stock one the vast majority of people will have (and hardly any of the reviewers I've seen so far have clarified that they're using a Founder's edition 2080 Ti with factory overclock so the results could be misleading).

Anyway, I could be way off or simply missing something in all this -- I'm sorry if that's the case, but I was just hoping someone could clarify this for me. Since the factory overclocked Founder's Edition seems to be 20-30% faster than the 1080 Ti I'll be bummed out if the stock results from the standard 2080 Ti are less than that.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

2. Hulk12

Hulk12 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti SC+
    Yes, RTX 2080Ti reference (MSRP) will be slower. ;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    EerieEgg likes this.
  3. EerieEgg

EerieEgg Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Man, that's really disappointing then -- based on the Benchmarks I've seen Founder's Edition 2080 Ti is 20-30% faster than 1080 Ti, but without the factory overclock this performance seems pretty underwhelming. Sneaky Nvidia -- sneaky. More bench marking sites need to clarify that in their test results imo since the results we're getting are misleading relative to the standard model of the card.

4. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    You might want to read up on how boosting works on Nvidia cards. The gpu will boost until it hits a thermal limit.

The good 3rd party cards ship with massive coolers, it's not unusual to see 2080ti cards ship with 2.5-3 slot coolers, meaning they will run cooler, meaning they will hold the boost clocks better than the FE cards.

The FE cooler is definitely an upgrade over the blowers we've had in the past but it's still not as the good as coolers found on 3rd party cards.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Maddness and EerieEgg like this.

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Maddness, BangTail and EerieEgg like this.
  6. EerieEgg

EerieEgg Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Ah, thanks a lot for the info, I really appreciate that.

7. mustrum

mustrum Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 2080 TI
    The founders edition cards are in fact slower because they are bios locked. You can flash a 380W bios on the 3rd party cards and happily overclock away while the FE runs into the power limit.