Will Nvidia ever update or replace their control panel FXAA option?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Apr 13, 2020.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Yes, I know Reshade exists and one can import SMAA Reshade into Ansel and all that, but in my tests this frequently does not work with Nvidia's Ansel/freestyle.

For example, older games like Portal of the Witcher 2 just throw the error that they aren't supported so freestyle filters can't be used at all and you're only option is FXAA from the control or perhaps just going all out and using Reshade as it has been historically.

For example, in Overwatch or Hearthstone, this SMAA filter gives me the error that these games do not provide "depth" information so it doesn't seem to work (not that I'd need it for OW since it already has SMAA, just for testing).

What I can use is the FXAA option in the control panel. However, this seems horribly out of date -- in my tests this option causes noticeable blur and game's still have noticeable shimmering.

Couldn't Nvidia update this to some type of single-frame SMAA that could be forced from the control panel or some such?

A lot of older games just don't have anything other than MSAA and the FXAA in the control panel really isn't great.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    smaa doesn't require depth information unless using a Tx mode.

3. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Good to know — will have to check on the default filter settings then and do some more tests. Still, it would be great if Nvidia updated their FXAA option to something like single frame SMAA imo.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Honestly replacing it with SMAA 1x really isn't that much of an improvement. You will certainly not see any improvement in shimmering compared to FXAA. So pretty pointless i'd say.
    Just stick with Reshade.

5. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    Technical: this applies to any mode above 1x.

6. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070Ti JS
    fxaa has actually been updated many times so most of its problems are already resolved, i think it hasnt had any major changes for a while thou