1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Nvidia Admit someday that they broke Dolby Vision HDR on 4xx drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by 256k, Aug 7, 2019.

1. 256k

256k Member Guru

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    It's been since the first 4xx driver that Nvidia broken the Dolby Vision HDR support, before that, it worked perfectly

Since then, any try to use the DV HDR leads to a black screen bug of death, the game puts the TV on DV HDR mode, but once it enters there, it will show just a black screen, it wont change no matter if you close the game or even restart windows, windows will belive that it's in a permanent DV HDR mode which will show just a black screen

So the only way to fix it is to enter in recovery mode and uninstall drivers

Will Nvidia fix this someday? It's annoying as hell and HDR10 has not even 1/3 quality than DV HDR, the colors, the dynamic metadata, everything!

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Dolby vision hdr works fine in the games that implemented it properly.

the only black screen i can find references to are for Anthem, and this game is NOT dolby vision certified

3. 256k

256k Member Guru

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    Wrong, tested with 2016/17/18 series of LG

The bug exists, if it was only a problem with the game, explain WHY the DV mode persists even if you close the game, or even if you restart windows, the TV turns into Dolby Vision the same moment you go into WINDOWS, NOT THE GAME, and by then YOU CANNOT SEE ANYTHING, the only fix is to enter in recovery menu in windows and uninstall the Nvidia drivers, if not it is IMPOSSIBLE to see even the login screen of windows ;)

On contrary if you rollback to 3XX series, it works PERFECTLY

It's easy to talk without know the problem it seems :I

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ever thought maybe your LG screen is the problem?

with HDR and DV, the Screen is supposed to communicate its necessary settings to the system's monitor API, the only reason why your old drivers work is because they are an older WDDM before microsoft took over the HDR model entirely.

So either microsofts model is broken, or LG isn't doing their firmware properly.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1554791122

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I can confirm it's crap with an LG C7, with the latest firmware and Mass Effect Andromeda.

The TV works perfectly fine with other Dolby Vision sources like the Xbox One X, Apple TV 4K, and an Amazon Fire Stick 4k.

What I can recommend trying, is setting the display to RGB from the Nvidia control panel and see what happens.

This stopped a few black screens I was getting with other games.

Keep in mind that Windows does HDR in RGB (which is retarded over HDMI), and that NVIDIA doesn't support YUV420 properly.

If you have 4k Netflix check if you get proper Dolby Vision through that from the PC.

6. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 SH EK X 8Gb
    [Accidental double post]

7. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 SH EK X 8Gb
    The black screen issue was the very reason for Bioware to remove DV in Anthem (it was available in the public pre-release test versions but caused this problem --- unless they added it back with the last update which I didn't check yet). It's the exact same black screen thing which happens with Andromeda (where Bioware kept DV available).
    Both these games can work perfectly fine in DV mode (launch, run, exit) with certain nVidia driver versions, work for some degree with others (launch and run but exit to black screen) and not work at all with some (launch into black screen). The timeline is something like: perfect, doesn't work at all, perfect again, halfway there, doesn't work at all yet again (this includes pre-Win10 HDR API and fresh public alpha/beta for pre-relase Win10 testing). There are some post-Win10 HDR releases which work acceptable.

And as much as I know Win10 has zero DolbyVision supports. Win10 HDR is currently limited HDR10 (at least practically), so DV is always NVAPI (+ AMD/Intel equivalent, if any).