Will Nvidia Admit someday that they broke Dolby Vision HDR on 4xx drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by 256k, Aug 7, 2019.

1. 256k

256k Guest

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    It's been since the first 4xx driver that Nvidia broken the Dolby Vision HDR support, before that, it worked perfectly

Since then, any try to use the DV HDR leads to a black screen bug of death, the game puts the TV on DV HDR mode, but once it enters there, it will show just a black screen, it wont change no matter if you close the game or even restart windows, windows will belive that it's in a permanent DV HDR mode which will show just a black screen

So the only way to fix it is to enter in recovery mode and uninstall drivers

Will Nvidia fix this someday? It's annoying as hell and HDR10 has not even 1/3 quality than DV HDR, the colors, the dynamic metadata, everything!

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Dolby vision hdr works fine in the games that implemented it properly.

the only black screen i can find references to are for Anthem, and this game is NOT dolby vision certified

3. 256k

256k Guest

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    Wrong, tested with 2016/17/18 series of LG

The bug exists, if it was only a problem with the game, explain WHY the DV mode persists even if you close the game, or even if you restart windows, the TV turns into Dolby Vision the same moment you go into WINDOWS, NOT THE GAME, and by then YOU CANNOT SEE ANYTHING, the only fix is to enter in recovery menu in windows and uninstall the Nvidia drivers, if not it is IMPOSSIBLE to see even the login screen of windows ;)

On contrary if you rollback to 3XX series, it works PERFECTLY

It's easy to talk without know the problem it seems :I

ultra5711 likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ever thought maybe your LG screen is the problem?

with HDR and DV, the Screen is supposed to communicate its necessary settings to the system's monitor API, the only reason why your old drivers work is because they are an older WDDM before microsoft took over the HDR model entirely.

So either microsofts model is broken, or LG isn't doing their firmware properly.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1554791122

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I can confirm it's crap with an LG C7, with the latest firmware and Mass Effect Andromeda.

The TV works perfectly fine with other Dolby Vision sources like the Xbox One X, Apple TV 4K, and an Amazon Fire Stick 4k.

What I can recommend trying, is setting the display to RGB from the Nvidia control panel and see what happens.

This stopped a few black screens I was getting with other games.

Keep in mind that Windows does HDR in RGB (which is retarded over HDMI), and that NVIDIA doesn't support YUV420 properly.

If you have 4k Netflix check if you get proper Dolby Vision through that from the PC.

6. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    [Accidental double post]

7. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    The black screen issue was the very reason for Bioware to remove DV in Anthem (it was available in the public pre-release test versions but caused this problem --- unless they added it back with the last update which I didn't check yet). It's the exact same black screen thing which happens with Andromeda (where Bioware kept DV available).
    Both these games can work perfectly fine in DV mode (launch, run, exit) with certain nVidia driver versions, work for some degree with others (launch and run but exit to black screen) and not work at all with some (launch into black screen). The timeline is something like: perfect, doesn't work at all, perfect again, halfway there, doesn't work at all yet again (this includes pre-Win10 HDR API and fresh public alpha/beta for pre-relase Win10 testing). There are some post-Win10 HDR releases which work acceptable.

And as much as I know Win10 has zero DolbyVision supports. Win10 HDR is currently limited HDR10 (at least practically), so DV is always NVAPI (+ AMD/Intel equivalent, if any).

8. 256k

256k Guest

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    ultra5711 likes this.
  9. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    There definitely are some 4xx.xx drivers which work fine. 430.39 is one of those (but I didn't try any of the later ones because I am not playing any DV supported Frostbite games these days).
    However, I had to close DisplayCAL's Profile Loader to get it working. I think anything that is able to alter the image (late enough in the pipeline) will break DV because it uses RGB as a container for it's special YCC format (with it's own copy protection, no less), so things like a non-neutral VGA LUT will scramble it (and decoding will fail, the Dolby CMU chip won't decode it). The GPU doesn't understand DV, it's the game engine that encodes it and the VGA card passes it as RGB. So, make you don't have any software which tries to alter that RGB (because it's not really RGB but treated as such by non-DV-aware software).
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...vision-black-screen-bug-in-frostbite-games-a/
    I can install Andromeda and check if it works with the latest driver (441.12) on my GTX1070 and LG C8 if you want. I bet it does unless they broke it yet again. But was surely fixed for a while around 430.39

Edit1: Jesus! Anthem is more broken than ever. There are NPCs standing at unreachable places and there is some DX9-era looking fog all around the launchpad which changes it's altitude and shape based on the view distance. It's probably some broken visual effect. But the important thing is: the HDR setting is still Off or Auto and the latter selects HDR10 (in my personal opinion this is the right decision, actually).

Edit2: Arrrgh. ME:Andromeda automatically started with DolbyVision and it worked fine but then my screen turned black when I closed the game. So... Yeah.. It's broken again. Although you technically are able to play, just be ready to reboot after gaming sessions. :D
    Or may be I have yet another interfering application running in the background...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Again, nvidia has not broken Dolby Vision, it works fine in Dolby Vision encoded test videos.

It's EA that has never kept their custom implementation compatible with Dolby firmware.

11. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Any and all kind of HDR metadata was completely broken with several driver releases for months. It meant strange tone-mapping roll-off behavior with some HDR10 movies and complete black screen with DolbyVision.
    And these Frostbite games work fine with a few drivers, just not nearly all of them (not even from those which theoretically handle the metadata as they should).

But you made me curious about those test videos. I wasn't aware if any PC software can play DolbyVision videos in HDR format (I know you can play them as SDR but that's completely irrelevant here).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    already fixed and has remained so.

Madshi would have brought it up again if it was busted again.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    This is exactly how it is and has been for a long time. Not just for this particual issue, but ingeneral with nvidia drivers.

14. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Pretty sure it was the Windows Creator update that took control over how HDR worked and software that wasn’t updated to support the new method is in fact the issue, I could be wrong though.

15. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Yes, the Win 10 HDR update broke NVAPI HDR but it was fixed later. This affected all software which relayed on NVAPI but didn't support the new Win 10 API. Later games either supported both or started to require the Win10 HDR mode. So, yes, this obviously killed DolbyVision for a time since that's not available through Windows but NVAPI only.
    But that had nothing to do with several driver versions failing to pass the correct metadata from software to display regardless of the Win10 version, although this might started at the same time (but lasted much longer). Unlike HDR10, DolbyVision couldn't function at all with those drivers (the format is more quirky, it's encoded to iTP YCC 4:2:0 in software which is tunneled as RGB though to the display... very far from PC GPU and especially video game friendly, it's for videos...).

anxious_f0x likes this.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    EA patched out Dolby Vision, its programmatically disabled because they don't have the time or effort to fix their broken implementation.

17. 256k

256k Guest

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    Funny, because the game came out a few days ago, so their DV code must not be old ;)

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Its the same old code, they haven't bothered updating the base implementation in Frostbite.

Every new game ships with it on until someone realises at the specific studio its causing issues.

19. 256k

256k Guest

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio

Even funnier that you say that it's not Nvidia's fault, if you rollback drivers it works perfectly with DV

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes, just like when you roll back the asus turbo button works because its an old driver model.

Dolby Vision in all cases is a broken gimmick and doesn't work properly.