will my psu power geforce gtx 580

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by starry, Jun 28, 2011.

1. starry

starry New Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800 gts in sli
    HI,

I currently have a jeantech jnp 700 a12c psu and dont think it has enough power or the correct connectors to power the above card.
    I would be greatful if somebody can confirm please as I am not to offay with psu and relevant connectors.

The jeantech has 2 x 6 pin and 1 times 8 pin 12v howevert his is powering my gigabyte ex ud5 motherboard. I also think it may be underpowered wattage wise along with the fact i don not even know if it is possible to upgrade 6pin to 8 pin with a connector

Thanx in advance and any help will be very well received.
    ps card on its way so do not want to be unable to instal it when it arrives lol
    regards
    starry

2. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    It should work no problem. But wat is your +12V rail rating just to be sure.

3. TechnikL

TechnikL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 1130/1300
    Hey dude, nice video card purchase

Judging by your specs on the side, your full system with the 580 installed should only be able to pull about 450 - 500Watts at max load, so your power supply does have enough power, but you do require 1 - 6pin and 1 - 8pin for the 580. If you are lucky their may be some power adaptors that come with the 580 allowing you to hook to your existing power supply, if not you may have to get a new PSU.

Good Luck:)

Some good info here
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-review/7

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  4. starry

starry New Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800 gts in sli
    dont know if this is the correct info but it says on psu
    +12v 1 = 17A
    +12v 2 = 25A
    +12v 3 = 13A

5. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 FuryX 4GB HBM
    never heard of that psu brand, but according to the psu specs it should hold your rig just fine..
    just one question, how old is the psu!?cause psu's loose their properties as time passes by.

6. starry

starry New Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800 gts in sli
    not more than 18 months. .
    Is it ok then to just connect an adaptor to one of the 6 pin to make it an 8 then ?

7. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd Radeon 6970 crossfire
    i dont like this at all..or the fact that i havent ever heard of the brand..well..how much did you get it for? if its a cheapo psu that you got for 30$ i would not run a 580 on it

8. starry

starry New Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800 gts in sli
    no uk bought was about 85 pounds probs about 140 dollars at the time.
    Think i may just go with new psu. just to be on the safe side.

9. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    ok lemme try searching it up :)

well you are spending 500$ on a graphic card..how about spend another 120$ or so on a good powersupply? i recommend corsair

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  10. starry

starry New Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800 gts in sli

11. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    ok i looked it up..the power output on the 12v rails looks odd..i would not run a gtx 580 on this psu..since it has 3 rails, not one supplying more than 30A individually..who knows about the rail distribution as well..id say atleast 150watts for your i7..and add atleast 250watts for your gtx 580..that comes around to about 34Amps...

i suggest going for a psu with a single rail rated at atleast 48amps for your system

12. starry

starry New Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800 gts in sli
    ok thanks for help. Much appreciated

13. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Your PSU is fine other than overrated by Jeantech 100W (hence the three rails other than standard four in a true rated 700W unit). It's made by Sirtec/High Power...same people making all of the PCP&C units these days and most OCZ's and a buttload of others. It's a chinese state factory and some day everyone in the world will be using High Power psu's painted red...

14. Fr0stx

Fr0stx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780SC@1100Mhz 1.087v
    You're PSU will be fine if you don't plan to overclock youre CPU and GPU at the same time...

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Id go with the rest and spend some extra money on a new PSU. Personaly i would go with Seasonic.

16. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Waste of money buying another PSU - Jeantech is severely underrated and never recommended since nobody knows them... and how can you not recommend something you know 0 about - I'm just saying...

Personally I'd stay away from Corsair. I had CX500, VX450, VX550, TX650, HX520, HX620, TX750, TX850, HX1000. Only the two first were any good. All the others started coilwhining within 3-8months.... the last litterally blew a gasket.
    I know others have trouble free use with them, but not at my place..maybe Corsair just doesn't suit up to european 230v standards.