Will my Corsair 650W PSU survive until tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Kali' go GRR, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Kali' go GRR

Kali' go GRR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6800XT
    Got a 6800XT on the way, arriving today. Unfortunately my 850W PSU is not arriving until tomorrow :mad::(:(:(

Being impatient! I am wondering if I can slam the card in today and not blow everything up. o_O

Full spec;

5800X3D (Undervolted with Kombo Strike 3)
    6800XT
    16GB 3600Mhz
    2 case fans none RGB
    2 CPU fans none RGB
    One NVMe SSD

That is it. Bar a USB Xbox controller, and USB keyboard/touchpad. Nowt else.

Mostly just don't want to do any damage since I sold 3 fingers and 1 leg to afford the 5800X3d and 6800XT.

DAMN BF2042!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Caesar likes this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    YES

Kali' go GRR likes this.
  3. Kali' go GRR

Kali' go GRR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6800XT
    It's very borderline from what I have read so it's always good to get some opinions.

Cheers.

4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    worst that will happen is some games might crash thats it

no damage will happen to the other parts as they have pretty good failsafe systems in them these days

Kali' go GRR likes this.

5. Kali' go GRR

Kali' go GRR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6800XT
    Appreciated, it's always a worry when cutting things fine with expensive stuff!

6. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    You can't wait one day? the risk ain't high that something will blow up but better safe then sorrow.

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Use Radeon Settings, and set the Auto Undervolt profile to minimize power usage.

8. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    uninstall BF2042, problem solved! It's full of aimbots and hackers anyway, EA don't care.

Trunks0 likes this.
  9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    It's fine. It's not like you're gonna load both CPU and GPU at 100%. So unless you do some kind of synthetic stress test, nothing's gonna break.

10. Kali' go GRR

Kali' go GRR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6800XT
    Many thanks - I was gonna slap in my new gpu then realised I don't have the extra power connecter so tomorrow it is

Trunks0 likes this.

11. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Edit: Woops, I wasn't paying attention to the date it was posted, or that the issue was resolved.

I think you'll easily be OK but if you want to take some safety measures make sure you limit your fps to your resolution, or use a frame rate limit. I have a 850 watt PSU but my UPS (uninterruptible power supply) is limited to supporting "only" 600 watts. Yadda, yadda, yadda, I have an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, a nVidia RTX 3080, 64 GB of ram, lots of cooling, and a fukton of drives connected to my PC, and I never come close to straining my 600 watt UPS.

However, I do use Eco mode with the CPU, and I keep my RTX 3080 limited to 85% power and with that I use a Curve that has its voltage reduced a bit*. I also limit my fps to 120 in the nVidia Control Panel, as that's my refresh rate. My CPU and video card are sucking down around less than 400 watts combined when gaming, according to monitoring software.

I doubt you'll break 500 watts with your PSU if you don't overclock, and limit your framerate to 120 fps. Even if you went all out, except for no overclocking of course, I think you'd stay well under 600 watts.

* I was surprised and pleased to see how little that diminishes my framerate versus stock settings.

P.S. I've been haunting these AMD GPU forums lately because I'm agonizing over what to go with for a new purchase, Team Green or Team Red. Lol, and just thinking that always reminds me of Babylon 5 and Ivanova having a Drazi explaining their political system.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  12. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    undervolt -15% or even less power limit not sure if can do more just disconnect everything useless and non essential that you do not directly need perhaps and is not essential for task you wanna do, i personally would wait, but personally i would always have a spare PSU that is suficient incase something dies cos im just that paranoid.

13. DarthBaggins

DarthBaggins Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti

All I gathered out of that response is "Skill Issue"