Will Hackers help?(artificial power limits-rebar on turing etc)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by magic09, Mar 2, 2022.

1. magic09

magic09 Member

GPU:
    2080 Super
    Could we get real control of our hardware from this? Examples above came to mind like the artificial power limits. For example my card is totally stable just has an artificial 250 watt power wall that cripples my overclocking(or real-clocking depending on how you view it) performance/ability. Rebar on Turing when it has the hardware to support it is another one. Anyone else think of things that Nvidia blocks or just doesn't support when they can/should? Cross my fingers that good comes out of this for people. Will open source drivers help with things like this?

2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    Nothing in this hack is going to help you in any way

Just hurt

SabotageX likes this.
  3. teots

teots Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Don't just think of pushing your hardwares beyond it's limit. You can improve your computer by using power points directly from wall sockets if you're on rail type power plug, their worthless.

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6600 XT
    I wonder if anyone has tried resizable BAR with any non-Ampere GPU on Linux?

Unsupported AMD GPUs (like a RX 580) do resizable BAR on Linux even though AMD only officially support it with RDNA on Windows. It's possible it's a similar situation on Linux with NVIDIA, although I wonder if NV's driver would allow any kind of benefit on unsupported GPUs?