will DX11 be another DX10 ??

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by nelsonica2007, Jan 22, 2010.

1. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    exactly and the way pc games are going at the moment (ie console ports) dx11 is just a pipe dream.
    but rich eco-centric individuals who are looking for a bigger e-penis will no doubt claim its something more then that and buy the latest tech regardless in the hope that cash-strapped developers will actually bother to further squander money on relatively pointless tech features for a platform that yields very little returns compared to consoles.
    dream on people!

2. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    The answer to this question is easy to see when you realize you have to compare Dx 9 to Dx 11 to figure that out.

3. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I can't wait for it! When it's here, I'll be able to look down on console players because of the version difference! :D

Seriously, though. I do think DX11 won't be another failure; after all, those who stick with Vista will still be able to have DX11, unlike what happened with XP and DX10 back then.

4. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    I don't like console games ported to the PC, because I only own a PC.
    Many times they don't have even the simplest of things like chat... but!
    The main reason why I don't like ports is, because if they designed it for Xbox, why not play it on Xbox in the first place like the way it was meant to??? Nobody wants to be second choice...

5. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    True. The comparisons between DX9 and DX11 Dirt are almost ridiculous. "Look that grain of sand is more clear"....

And honestly so far what i´ve seen from DX11 games i don't think it will change much.

6. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    The console market is much larger than PC gaming market and developing for consoles and porting them to PC is easy..so you get low quality games..damn!:banana:

7. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    XP: DX9
    Vista+: DX9, DX10+

Throw in the fact that to use DX10+, you need to re-write all your shaders, in you see why DX isn't advancing. XP still controls 60% of the market, and frankly, devs are still pushing DX9 to new limits. The only huge new feature since DX9.0 came out is Tesselation, and current cards aren't powerful enough to get decent FPS when using it.

DX11 adoption will be slightly faster then DX10 adoption, if only because its easy to go from DX10 to DX11. DX9 will be around for a while yet.

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    +1 :thumbup:

9. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Its a selling point. Like buy a car with or without a Heads up display, still drives the same.

10. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Higher res? Higher levels of AA? AF? Higher FPS? All that and at 1080P or higher yeah I'll play the PC version

11. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I don't know about you but Dirt 1 was unplayable to me because of the blur. DX11 completely got rid of it.

12. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Hilbert: Well... the main reason that XP's usage is still so high isn't just because of DX9 or anything. When you think about it.... micro-sized PC's typically came with, and still come with Windows XP.... and netbooks and such are quite popular. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people who buy a computer never upgrade it, nor do they really ever think about trying to install a different OS on it. But XP's usage is dropping nearly as fast as Win7's usage is increasing, according to websites that report such statistics. But seeing as no two sites have the same report.... how can one believe them? Doing a simple google search for "Windows version usage statistics".... the first two sites that come up are w3schools.com and w3counter.com. And just for the sake of reference.... lets also include the results from gs.statcounter.com

w3schools.com as of December 2009: Win7 = 9% WinVista = 16% WinXP = 61.6%
    w3counter.com as of December 2009: Win7 = 6.8% WinVista = 21.2% WinXP = 56.6%
    gs.statcounter.com ' January of 2010: Win7 = 8% WinVista = 21.08% WinXP = 63.87%

Not to mention the flak that all the idiots gave Windows Vista, which MANY people had zero issues with.

13. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    on that set up you have now?

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    it all depends on the developers, a poorly implemented dx11 game is not going to look much different than a dx9 one nad also might be slower to begin with.

but theoretically, DX11 features if implemented right are going to give dx9 and 10 a run for its money, the biggest strenght of DX10 was the water effects and shadows, i noticed better looking water in FSX, AVATAR and occasionally in FC2 (poorly implemented though), the textures underneath the water look much more rounder and detailed.

DX11 tessellation is a monster feature if implemented right, i'm positive Crytek is going to implement it better than anyone else in Crysis-2, afterall they implemented DX10 quite nicely in Crysis-1 and there was a substantial difference. ;)

15. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Anybody remember when Microsoft was showing off Direct X 10 as new, and they showed off the original Halo vs Crysis as their example? What a pile of horse ****.

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    The main problem imo with console games is the mouse support. Seriously, I might bash alot on MW2 but 1 thing they did get right: "Full mouse support".

It might sound silly to alot of people, but try and aim pixel per pixel in some console ports like bioshock/UT3/Borderlands, ... Borderlands actually did a better job on this then UT3, the only thing they have to adjust is to be able to lower your sens in the menu even further and enable a console. Bioshock was horrible, mice would skip several pixels at a time.

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Well.... i'm not entirely fond of the whole idea of using a thumb stick for shooters on my PS3 that i got for christmas (could explain why i have purchased one fighting game, three hack-and-slashers, and one action adventure game (Assassins Creed 2)). Some may think it's a crappy idea... but i think shooters on consoles, or at least the PS3 in this situation.... should take advantage of the accelerometers inside the controller, and have some way to fine aim with controller movement rather than thumb stick movement.

18. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    I think DX11 will be just a other DX10 because game maker make more money making game for console so all we going to see is a bunch of port. They might have dx11 patch but it won't show because the game is not dx11 to start with and they already make their money on the console so they don't care if it show or not. For example Lost planet with dx10 i can't see dx10 only lower fps, the only game that i see dx10 shine is Crysis that is because its make for PC with DX10.:bang:

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    DX10 didn't have any major improvements that made it required over DX9, where as DX11 has real features that DX10 and DX9 don't have. Tessalation is a big one.

20. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I had a different CPU at the time (E4300) but yeah everything else was the same. If you are referring to Dirt2 yes I've played the dx9 version and the blur is still there but it's better than Dirt 1 and dx11 completely gets rid of it (of course I'm going by the pics in my link as my GPU doesn't play dx11). I'm hoping you didn't believe I was dumb enough to believe I was running dx11. :eyes:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010