1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will DirectX Raytracing work only on Windows 10 1809?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Klementh, Aug 29, 2018.

?

Will Microsoft deny DXRT to older Windows 10 builds to force people to upgrade?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2018.
  1. No, Microsoft will release DXRT on all currently supported versions of Windows 10

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Yes, Microsoft will only release DXRT for the upcoming feature update 1809 (Redstone 5)

32 vote(s)
    78.0%
  1. Klementh

Klementh Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    It's not a secret that freshly released Windows 10 feature updates never deploy completely free of risk, so in my opinion this is an important question for those of us who care about having a stable OS. Nobody can yet have the answer, but... you know, I wanna see what most enthusiasts like us think of Microsoft at this time.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    1809 is expected to be the next LTSB if you're worried about having raytracing. You need a card that supports it too so unless you're getting the RTX cards, don't worry about it for now.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Raytracing is available on 1803 with experimental features enabled.

the RTX cards require 1803 minimally to install and use the win10 driver

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Not saying you're wrong, I wouldn't know, but do you have a link maybe? I'd like to read into it if possible.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    Official support will start from 1809 I think. 1803 had beta support possible only via enabling experimental features.

Astyanax likes this.
  7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Which means, currently, ENT is only getting beta support and LTSB none at all? Since LTSB2016 is still 1607, latest ENT afaik 1803

8. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Sounds about right. But getting feature updates slower is like one of the key features of those branches, because feature additions can also result in breakages.

9. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    RTX is really like a refresh by adding new marketing terms like ray tracing. Why don't give us 12/16 GB GDDR6 for 2080 Ti? The 11 is really weird for 1080 Ti already.

tiliarou likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    More often than not, these days. :D
    But yeah, I guess it can't be helped. Really not fancying downgrading to a lesser windows version to run RTX for a hefty price too...

Probably because it's a cut chip again, not a fully functional GT100 GT102 I guess.

tiliarou likes this.

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    Memory is expensive right now, GDDR6 is even more expensive than anything else. Turing cards are well above the average class price as they are.

tiliarou likes this.
  12. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    1803/RS4+ Later builds...

13. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    A change in memory amount also means a change in memory controller. 352-bit is 11 32-bit controller, which connect to 1GB of memory each (for 11 in total). You cannot change the amount of memory freely without also changing how they are adressed - or you end up with the 970 with some memory being a different speed.

They could use 12 32-bit controller for 384-bit like the Quadro RTX (and thus 12GB, Quadro uses 48/24GB, they just attach more memory to every channel), but using not fully activated dies is very common because it lets them increase yields of usable GPUs. I don't think any "Ti" card has ever been fully enabled. They reserve that for Quadros and Titans, ie. people that pay a lot more money.

14. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Well said & it make some sense too. Thanks for the clarification. Literally, I know NVIDIA will never fully activated all the dies.

Luckily, I sold my 970 & replaced with 1070. ;)

endbase likes this.
  15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    I'll never understand why people have issues with GPUs using chips with partially disabled configs. They probably don't know that even in the so called "fully activated" dies there are things which are still disabled because of yields, silicon design errors and marketing.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Yeah, so... what I said ;)

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ^

And samsung are the only ones making the 2GB chips right now.

18. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti Windforce
    i love 1809 anyway (been using like 2 months now), finally explorer matches dark theme of windows :)

19. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 SH EK X 8Gb
    The reasoning behind this question is rather controversial.
    On one hand, you wish to keep a decently aged feature-frozen version because it can rightfully assumed to be more stable (not necessarily though, it could also be an old buggy bastard left forever unfixed while the new versions have all the fixes you would need and more).
    On the other hand, you want the so called "bleeding edge" (barely beta-tested, totally experimental) features back-ported to that old "golden" version (which technically won't be an old build anymore from the moment you "unfroze" it that way).
    The N-1 version isn't always the best. And you certainly can't relay on the old=stable if you keep back-porting almost everything to the "old" code. On top of that, back-porting will probably be a lazy side-job (low-priority, low-support, provided "as-is", told to upgrade if you really need all the latest changes).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    For NVIDIA and RTX it might be that the API is sufficiently stand-alone to not need the DirectX dependencies in 1809 at all, their HDR API works all the way down to Windows 7 I believe and this also has support for Vulkan which would be entirely outside of DirectX. :)

Though the DirectX 12 version might still be reliant on 1809 and it's DirectX and DXGI changes to the driver and display model and what not, guess it's hard to predict and entirely depends on how separate NVIDIA's version is from the DirectX 12 API Microsoft has been published.

EDIT: Though for the question itself I would not be surprised if Microsoft and DXRT is at least enabled on 1803 outside of it's current experimental opt-in nature.

Unless it needs a major tune up of the DirectX framework in this build of course, then it's not going to be seeing any backporting I'm guessing.
    Team would be busy with RS5 and supporting that and on to whatever is next since this should be the last Redstone named build.
    (Well the teams I guess, probably having a couple of different groups working on various parts of the Windows OS structure.)